Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So T3 is closed down. This is an opportunity to get some stuff done ahead of schedule though it's hard to know if that's the plan or just to reduce operational costs during this time period.

Beverly Hills is allowing Wilshire to close down and have the purple line construction to accelerate with full time work instead of just weekend work, now that there's not much traffic. This apparently will speed up this phase of the Purple line up by 6 months.

It's a good idea for the infrastructure projects to speed up given the logistics that are less an obstinate. The question is does Delta have the $$ to push it forward...
I’d think they will just stick to the current construction schedule. The latest construction timeline released didn’t have the T3 satellite rotunda scheduled to come down until 2021, after the new T3 connector gates open. The problem with just tearing it down now is if demand starts to slowly pick back up (possibly in the fall), they may need some of the T3 gates back in the interim, which wouldn’t be there until mid-2021, when the connector gates open.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:31 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by A321neo
What's an "uncancelled" flight?
Hah, sorry I meant not cancelled. (Though yes, now it looks like all traffic is being directed to T2 from what I can see online with gate assignments)
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also isnt a lot of the costs actually LAWA reimbursed? DL pays for the construction but gets paid back by LAWA in form of rent credits (I believe was the final outcome).
mrspilot likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
T3 is shut down right now, not sure where you are seeing flights still scheduled to depart from T3. As far as shutting T3 down permanently to get the construction done faster, I don’t know if that’s possible as T2 won’t be able to handle all DL flights once demand starts to pick back up.
Why isn’t that possible ? If demand snaps back, which it won’t, the simple solution is that DL does not add back the lower performing routes until the terminal is complete. It’s much better to shut it down now while demand is poor and do as much work as possible for the rest of the year. By the time 2021 comes around and demand starts to pick back up a little, DL will have made significant progress on the terminal.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Mr.Peanut
Why isn’t that possible ? If demand snaps back, which it won’t, the simple solution is that DL does not add back the lower performing routes until the terminal is complete. It’s much better to shut it down now while demand is poor and do as much work as possible for the rest of the year. By the time 2021 comes around and demand starts to pick back up a little, DL will have made significant progress on the terminal.
I didn’t say that 100% of the demand would come back right away. Right now, DL is running a 80-90% reduced schedule making it easy to consolidate operations in T2. However demand will eventually start to go back up somewhat and DL will need to have at least some of the T3 gates available for use. There is no way T2 can handle a 50% reduced DL operation while sharing it with their partners WS, AM, and VS.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They must have a plan to shift flights for when the do the end of T3 someday. But it may rely on using the new gates beyond TBIT temporarily, and maybe that whole terminal is down also now.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
They used to have such a beautiful terminal in LaX. One of the finest in the country.

I know in Florida DeSantis is hoping to use this time to expand construction projects. I hope DL does the same as they are able to, but I am also under the belief they are suspending many capital expenditures.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
They must have a plan to shift flights for when the do the end of T3 someday. But it may rely on using the new gates beyond TBIT temporarily, and maybe that whole terminal is down also now.
IIRC based upon the original plan, I don’t believe that T3 will have to close completely. The planned phasing showed that once the T3 connector concourse opens up, temporary long jetways (probably similar to the ones AUS used during the East Concourse expansion construction) out of the new concourse building while the existing rotunda is demolished and rebuilt.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjnangre

Now i know that those drawings depicted LAX load in the midst of global pandemic - just need to add a few masks...
rizrizriz likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It looks stark and sterile to me. I don't see any luxurious restaurants, etc. Plus I want to see the SC.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
They used to have such a beautiful terminal in LaX. One of the finest in the country.

I know in Florida DeSantis is hoping to use this time to expand construction projects. I hope DL does the same as they are able to, but I am also under the belief they are suspending many capital expenditures.
During the most recent earnings call, Ed Bastian said they would use this time to “advance projects” at LAX and LGA. So that was good to hear as both projects had long timelines.
NOLAnwGOLD and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
During the most recent earnings call, Ed Bastian said they would use this time to “advance projects” at LAX and LGA. So that was good to hear as both projects had long timelines.
Yeah and these were deals already in-place with LAWA and PANYNJ.

You know If they actually make progress on JFK T4A, they won't ever need to re-open T2 when the economy bounces back lol. Although T4 attrition might make them able to keep T2 mothballed.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:56 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
If they suddenly needs lots of capacity, I think Delta will be thankful for that problem! But I don't see it. Plus the LAX TBIT Midfield expansion is scheduled to open in 2020 (anyone know when??) which will add 15 more gates with bus access if needed. Even if there's modest returns to domestic travel, I doubt all the international capacity will return. Even with WS VS and AM partners in T2, I'm sure LAX/airlines would be happy to figure out a way to make it work if there's real business to be had.

In terms of the SC, my understanding is that it will be upstairs on top floor of the Delta headhouse, so I assume accessed from the check-in via stairs/elevators. It would be one club that would have exits to both T2/3. I would think they would have a VS UC/DL D1 area for check in and separate security with direct access to the SkyClub (hopefully the VS Clubhouse remains!).

BUILD BUILD BUILD!
Old May 15, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I like many elements of T5 including lots of light, beautiful floors, and a decent club, but it was just way too small for their operation.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I like many elements of T5 including lots of light, beautiful floors, and a decent club, but it was just way too small for their operation.
Yep! A beautiful terminal that is fraught with delays cause your planes are always waiting for a gate is pretty useless

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.