Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

Delta Air Lines and Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) have formally kicked off the Delta Sky Way at LAX project — Delta's $1.86 billion plan to modernize, upgrade and connect Terminals 2, 3, and the Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B). Construction is expected to begin this fall. The project kick-off follows the LAWA Board of Airport Commissioners' recent approval of the largest tenant improvement award in its history, which cleared the way for the Delta Sky Way at LAX to begin.
  • A 27-gate complex on Terminals 2 and 3 with a secure connection to Terminal B, enabling Delta and its partners to effectively utilize gates there as well.
  • Brand new headhouse with centralized lobby, security screening checkpoint, and baggage claim
  • Completely reconstructed Terminal 3
  • A convenient bridge connecting Terminals 2, 3, and B on the secure side of the airport, as well as a dedicated baggage recheck and security checkpoint for seamless connection of international to domestic transfers, enabling significantly faster connections
  • Premium retail and dining lineup

https://news.delta.com/delta-los-angeles-world-airports-prepare-construction-186-billion-delta-sky-way-lax

Mods: This seemed to me like a good place to start a new thread, rather than the previous thread which was focused more on the logistics of moving terminals at LAX. But can be merged if appropriate.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:58 am

The first image has the same awful uncomfortable seating that they are installing in ATL
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by The Situation
The first image has the same awful uncomfortable seating that they are installing in ATL
Those seats are already in T2/T3 at LAX now. They are better than they were before as they added some padding on the seats.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Those seats are already in T2/T3 at LAX now. They are better than they were before as they added some padding on the seats.
Padding would make a world of difference. A 5 gallon bucket is more comfortable that those seats without padding. How long ago did they begin installing the padded ones? I didn't notice them the last time I went through, but then again, I don't think I sat down either.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
Padding would make a world of difference. A 5 gallon bucket is more comfortable that those seats without padding. How long ago did they begin installing the padded ones? I didn't notice them the last time I went through, but then again, I don't think I sat down either.
Not sure about when LAX got them but I first noticed them in ATL a couple of months ago. I rarely sit in the gate area so I don’t have much experience with the chairs but when I did, they weren’t uncomfortable at all padded.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Pretty neat design solution to a tough problem. Seems like for the T3 rebuild, they will replace the rotunda with a box - not hard to imagine a variety of ways to build that in phases. If you couldn’t afford to lose all the T3 gates, you could even do it by entombing half the existing structure with new construction and then demolishing the old round gatehouse before switching to the other half.

The new design isn’t notably luxurious, but it at least adds some sorely needed natural light and warmer materials. I’m sure they wouldn’t design it from scratch this way, but looks like some pretty tasty lemonade given how bitter the lemons were LAWA dumped on Delta.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for more realistic reflection of reality i would take every image and multiply people cars planes by a factor of 10 as hallways driveways taxiways are absolutely jampacked around the clock aside from perhaps midnight-5 am window... any capacity increase in one area just makes the bottlenecks in others worse...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I look forward to the complaints on FT about how long the walk will be from T2 to TBIT :P

Thought seriously once this is done and if the rental car center actually opens, LAX will be, uh, almost tolerable.
Detroiter and Seabilly like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
I look forward to the complaints on FT about how long the walk will be from T2 to TBIT :P

Thought seriously once this is done and if the rental car center actually opens, LAX will be, uh, almost tolerable.
To that I would add the people mover to the Metro station, ~March 2023. Just $4.9 Billion.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I hope the bridge comes first!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope the DC-9 wing that had been used for the check in "desk" in the D1 check in lounge in the old T5 at LAX survives the move.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope the DC-9 wing that had been used for the check in "desk" in the D1 check in lounge in the old T5 at LAX survives the move.
It's not in the current "temporary" D1 Check-In Area at LAX and there is just a regular check-in desk but hopefully, they have it stored somewhere.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:53 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Anyone know of any
bluepronts or detailed maps? I’m particularly curious how they will:
- do the T3 rebuild while using it
- I heard there would be a consolidated SkyClub above the check in area between T2-3
- how they will do D1 check in, hope that DC9 wing is back and also a Virgin Atlantic/Australia like direct access to security and lounge for qualified passengers

As a LAX based flier I can’t wait for all
of these improvements to get going and finish, but glad that it seems everything is moving along without much delay (aside from the T3 club expansion which was suppose to be done last year. Anyone know what they are actually doing??)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Delta released a video. But there isn't really anything new in there:

https://news.delta.com/second-phase-...-lax-announced

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.