Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Old May 15, 2020, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I like many elements of T5 including lots of light, beautiful floors, and a decent club, but it was just way too small for their operation.
I still have a DL LAX T5 pin when they called it the “Oasis”......what a difference from HPdbaUSdbaAA version of “Oasis” lol.
steve64 and cmd320 like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I like many elements of T5 including lots of light, beautiful floors, and a decent club, but it was just way too small for their operation.
T5 was terrible the last few years DL was there. It was way overcrowded for the operations DL had there and the ticket lobby area was too small even after the renovation DL did to it. The only good thing T5 had going to it was the new security checkpoint that DL helped add as clearing security at T5 was always a breeze once they expanded it.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It looks stark and sterile to me. I don't see any luxurious restaurants, etc. Plus I want to see the SC.
It’s probably quite premature for the retail and food leasing situation to be figured out in these renderings. Delta moved really quickly to upgrade the concessions when they took over T2/T3 - Burger King very rapidly gave way to Shake Shack - and you have to expect that at least a few additional sit down restaurants will be in plan for the completed project.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
T5 was terrible the last few years DL was there. It was way overcrowded for the operations DL had there and the ticket lobby area was too small even after the renovation DL did to it. The only good thing T5 had going to it was the new security checkpoint that DL helped add as clearing security at T5 was always a breeze once they expanded it.
That's from the past. That is problem. Too overcrowded!! They already move to T2-T3. No longer T5. Just accept it!
Old May 16, 2020, 5:40 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The moment they moved to T2/3 the taxi length and time dropped in half, literally. Plus less waiting for the gates, now with LAXit, a quick walk over to the Uber/Lyfts.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:55 pm

This was good to see in the June financial reports:

Defining Delta’s recovery path
  • Taking advantage of reduced demand to accelerate airport construction projects in Los Angeles, New-York LaGuardia and Salt Lake City, in an effort to shorten timelines and lower the total cost for the projects
Anyone know more details??? So hard to find...
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
This also reminds me, what is it with delta terminals having low ceilings even in their new terminals?

I don't know why but it feels like all the redesigns are looking identical --rectangular boxes with slightly sloped but still low ceilings.

E.g. SLC, ATL, LAX, and even the new LGA seem to have this problem in their gate areas.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Reminiscing about T5, pre-9/11, how about all the limo drivers who used to hang out at the gates holding up signs to attract their passengers? There were maybe 40-50 of these guys meeting the flights into LAX I was on. It must have been the inspiration of one of my favorite TV commercials of all time.

N830MH and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:44 pm

LOL There's wasn't even a Bud Light in the Delta Porsche nor all the buttons to fly with when I got the few Porsche transfers at LAX!!
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
This also reminds me, what is it with delta terminals having low ceilings even in their new terminals?

I don't know why but it feels like all the redesigns are looking identical --rectangular boxes with slightly sloped but still low ceilings.

E.g. SLC, ATL, LAX, and even the new LGA seem to have this problem in their gate areas.
money.

To build these big extravagant terminals like you see in Asia cost a lot of money to build, maintain and heat/cool. The average passenger doesn't care that much and even those that do care will still fly Delta if the flight is the cheapest. US airlines aren't doing anything big that doesn't generate a ROI.

The fact that LGA is just now being rebuilt, and it has been a dump for 20+ years, shows you how little the US marketplace cares about fancy terminals.

and generally cities in the US (unlike cities in Asia and sometimes Europe) aren't dumping tax dollars into a big cool terminal when a cheaper option will do the job just fine. A lot of the really great terminals in this world are nothing more the expensive "look at us" pride project.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Most of the airports themselves aren't destinations for anything except transportation (mostly by air). The only ones that I've been to that make that are Singapore (Changi), Amsterdam (Schipol) , and Tokyo (Haneda). There's a lot of them that have have a lot of shopping,food, etc.. but virtually all of it's airside. There's almost nothing landside at great palaces like DXB, ICN, LAX, etc.., the only real exceptions seem to be Schipol Plaza (much more variety there than airside) and the mall at Haneda Terminal 3.

My take is that unless there's a real reason for building a mall it won't happen, Schipol is a transit hub for NS and Changi and Haneda are first/last chance for getting local stuff while heading to the plane, and both are essentially are good locations with high traffic and limited space further into town. Virtually every other airport except those has almost nothing landside except maybe a couple of combini (or local equivalent), a Starbucks, and maybe limited fast food. The only transport hubs I've seen that lately that have a lot of local shopping in the last couple of years have been the big JR stations (Shinjuku, Yokohama, Akihabara, Hakata) with the department stores attached, a couple of the British ones( St Pancras, Victoria, Liverpool Street ), and the co-located shopping centers in Korea with KoRail.

It just doesn't make sense to try and do much more at any US airport in general. I'm not normally going to spend much more time than I really need to be there and given the hassles in international to anywhere else (including international) transfers along with the access hassles and costs for the airport itself, it just isn't worth it when there's a full service shopping mall/area (or big box) reasonably close by.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by ttuna3; Jul 27, 2020 at 10:35 am Reason: Senior Momnet/ typo
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ND76
Reminiscing about T5, pre-9/11, how about all the limo drivers who used to hang out at the gates holding up signs to attract their passengers? There were maybe 40-50 of these guys meeting the flights into LAX I was on. It must have been the inspiration of one of my favorite TV commercials of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_Ph6zvPNY
Very interesting. I haven't seen one yet! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:29 pm

Well certianly most US airports are severely land constrained. Hence lots of the issues at LAX. Though it makes sense we didn't move LAX to the Antelope Valley (65 miles away), there's just no room for extras. Also I assume the Pacific isn't conducive to landfill, which get's pretty deep fast, plus the environmental regulations likely wouldn't fly like many of the Asian airports.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:43 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Well certianly most US airports are severely land constrained. Hence lots of the issues at LAX. Though it makes sense we didn't move LAX to the Antelope Valley (65 miles away), there's just no room for extras. Also I assume the Pacific isn't conducive to landfill, which get's pretty deep fast, plus the environmental regulations likely wouldn't fly like many of the Asian airports.
hahaha SFO can’t even get runways separated another 100m to allow parallel operations regardless of weather due to environmental constraints in adding more landfill to the bay. Landfill in the Pacific is never going to happen in California.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flying a regional out of LAX shortly and notice the flight has been departing T3 gates while stating "Terminal 2" next to the T3 gate number. If T3 is closed for construction, how is this working? Is there a dedicated bus for each flight from T2 similar to European remote stand gates?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.