FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

KDCAflyer Jan 2, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 30597942)
Good news for Lifetime SkyClub Members: According to the new access rules, "Lifetime members may continue to access the Club with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline." Hope AA and UA follow suit.

Smart move. There can't be that many of those memberships floating around. Seems like a pointless fight for DL to start.

KDCAflyer Jan 6, 2019 6:42 pm

A modest proposal:

DMs no longer get a SC membership as a choice benefit. Instead, they get can select "access" similar to a Reserve card.

Purchased SC memberships still get access when flying on other airlines. As things stand, there is zero motivation for someone to buy a membership vs getting a Reserve card.

FF524 Jan 6, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30619970)
A modest proposal:

DMs no longer get a SC membership as a choice benefit. Instead, they get can select "access" similar to a Reserve card.

Purchased SC memberships still get access when flying on other airlines. As things stand, there is zero motivation for someone to buy a membership vs getting a Reserve card.

I use two sky choice benefits to get the executive membership. Of all of the choice benefit offerings, that is my go-to and of most value to me.

KDCAflyer Jan 6, 2019 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by FF524 (Post 30620028)

I use two sky choice benefits to get the executive membership. Of all of the choice benefit offerings, that is my go-to and of most value to me.

You could continue to do this, but it still would just be access. Right now, DL has destroyed any motivation for people to buy club memberships, especially at the prices they charge.

AANYC1981 Jan 6, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30620062)
You could continue to do this, but it still would just be access. Right now, DL has destroyed any motivation for people to buy club memberships, especially at the prices they charge.

Yup, I didn’t renew my SC membership this time around because of all the changes, price increases, nonstop crowding and poor behavior from members/guests....the list goes on. Can’t believe people are paying “to relax” in that kind of atmosphere moving forward.

TheHorta Jan 6, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30620062)

It has little to do with the prices and more to do with the fact that most SCs have become like Chuck E Cheese or the local Golden Corral.

I’d have no problem paying $1K for an annual pass to an Emirates class lounge.

daloosh Jan 7, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30620343)

It has little to do with the prices and more to do with the fact that most SCs have become like Chuck E Cheese or the local Golden Corral.

But Sky Clubs have their moments, and can give great service upon occasion. Golden Corral <shudder> -- not so much. On the other hand, Chuck E Cheese has that heightened security with the wristbands and hand stamps and all...feels safer than TSA, but only barely.

Flaflyer Jan 7, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by daloosh (Post 30622202)
On the other hand, Chuck E Cheese has that heightened security with the wristbands and hand stamps and all...feels safer than TSA, but only barely.

If TSA adopts wristbands and hand stamps next week, we are going to blame YOU for giving them the idea. :D

FF524 Jan 7, 2019 9:46 am

I am guessing I see the club around 100 times per year. Depending on the airport, the space can be AOK or downright unpleasant. There are peek times when I have walked in and walked out and chalk it up to simply that, rush hour. I don’t expect the the space to be “exclusive” in the sense that I feel “special”. I do expect that I can find a place to sit, plugin and grab food or drink without an elongated wait in line. I stay away from ATL in general at almost all cost so excluding those spaces, most of the other spaces meet my expectations. Excluded are the spaces spaces awaiting refurb. I appreciate the self service spaces the most and make a point to skip the spaces with bartenders.

daloosh Jan 7, 2019 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 30622455)
If TSA adopts wristbands and hand stamps next week, we are going to blame YOU for giving them the idea. :D

And when they come with churros, gluten-free pizza, and a talking rat, you'll thank me!

jfulcher Jan 7, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30619970)
A modest proposal:

100% I stopped buying and went to reserve because it was only $250 more than what I was paying for a plat DL amex already. No brainer

jfulcher Jan 7, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30598800)

Smart move. There can't be that many of those memberships floating around. Seems like a pointless fight for DL to start.

I know 5 people with one and one of my biggest regrets was not buying a lifetime WC membership when I had the chance which would have ended up being lifetime SC executive.

jiburi Jan 9, 2019 10:28 am

Am a Lifetimer and Three Observations:

ACCESS: Went through Narita, San Francisco and Seattle Skyclub flying United on Jan 3, 2019

Narita Sky Club was unaware of the Lifetime exception and originally stopped my entry. They asked for a Delta boarding pass, and when I presented the agent with a United Boarding pass, they had informed me of the changes to the entry requirement. I was happy to show them the revised Lifetime access policy and they apologized graciously, and began immediately communicating this information to all of the employees. Very professional.

SFO Sky Club agent who checked me in did not ask for the Delta boarding pass, as she had thought I had misplaced my boarding pass. Later when I asked for a shower access, she discovered that I was not in the "system" and inquired for my Delta Boarding pass. I told her I was accessing using a "Lifetime membership". She informs me that it was difficult to quickly check for lifetime status as credential do not immediately flag, Lifetiime status. Going forward this might change but currently, agents will need to flip through several screen to identifying a member who is lifetime. The agent had to enter false delta flight number to completing my check-in.

SEA Sky Club:
One last access was with SEA Sky Club. These agents were aware of the lifetime policy change, but they too indicated they had to shuffle through screens to identifying lifetime credentials. The agent that checked me in, had to view the screen which indicated my expiration date. They also indicated that it might not be possible to view this on their handheld app check-in and I would likely need to check-in with the agent.

So access is possible, and agents are beginning to become aware of the policy change, but new hiccup exist due to system requirement and credential not showing lifetime, especially on the hand held check-in. For now, I think the expiration date is likely the best indicator.

Jiburi

Lomapaseo Jan 9, 2019 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 30632399)

ACCESS: Went through Narita, San Francisco and Seattle Skyclub flying United on Jan 3, 2019

Narita Sky Club was unaware of the Lifetime exception and originally stopped my entry. They asked for a Delta boarding pass, and when I presented the agent with a United Boarding pass, they had informed me of the changes to the entry requirement. I was happy to show them the revised Lifetime access policy and they apologized graciously, and began immediately communicating this information to all of the employees. Very professional.

SFO Sky Club agent who checked me in did not ask for the Delta boarding pass, as she had thought I had misplaced my boarding pass. Later when I asked for a shower access, she discovered that I was not in the "system" and inquired for my Delta Boarding pass. I told her I was accessing using a "Lifetime membership". She informs me that it was difficult to quickly check for lifetime status as credential do not immediately flag, Lifetiime status. Going forward this might change but currently, agents will need to flip through several screen to identifying a member who is lifetime. The agent had to enter false delta flight number to completing my check-in.

SEA Sky Club:
One last access was with SEA Sky Club. These agents were aware of the lifetime policy change, but they too indicated they had to shuffle through screens to identifying lifetime credentials. The agent that checked me in, had to view the screen which indicated my expiration date. They also indicated that it might not be possible to view this on their handheld app check-in and I would likely need to check-in with the agent.

So access is possible, and agents are beginning to become aware of the policy change, but new hiccup exist due to system requirement and credential not showing lifetime, especially on the hand held check-in. For now, I think the expiration date is likely the best indicator.

Jiburi

What form of iD did u submit to enter a SC when flying on another Carrier?

All my SC cards imprint say lifetime and the bar code for scanning is on the back. I had figured that it would be good enough

jiburi Jan 10, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 30634915)
What form of iD did u submit to enter a SC when flying on another Carrier?

All my SC cards imprint say lifetime and the bar code for scanning is on the back. I had figured that it would be good enough

As my SkyClub card/credentials I use are digital off my Delta App, it doesn't indicate lifetime status except expiration date of 2079. My old card (NW WorldClub) does indicate LIFETIME on its card. My frequent flyer number has changed however with the switchover to Skypesos. (I can still recall my Worldperks number as if I used it yesterday)

Just keep in mind, Delta has variety of Lifetime members. Northwest Airlines offered it for its members, and so did Western Airlines. Both merged and folded into what is now Delta.

Jiburi

uavking Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm

SEA Sky Club:

Jiburi

Same issue at ORD today. It seems that the handheld scanner does not show lifetime, which led to the agent initially rejecting me. She had to dig around on her computer to pull up the 2079 expiration to back up me saying I was a lifer. Hopefully DL just puts lifetime on the digital card or something to make this easier.

Dubai Stu Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am

My question is Amsterdam which is a KLM lounge which when I was last through it four months ago had Delta branding pretty conspicuous. Is it just a partner lounge we can longer get into or was its relationship a little different?

xliioper Jan 14, 2019 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 30653601)
My question is Amsterdam which is a KLM lounge which when I was last through it four months ago had Delta branding pretty conspicuous. Is it just a partner lounge we can longer get into or was its relationship a little different?

It's just a partner lounge, so you will no longer have access with just a DL Sky Club membership. Skyteam Elite Plus (DL Gold or higher) will continue to get access with a same day international boarding pass on a Skyteam partner. The only Sky Club locations outside of the US are in NRT and SCL.

srockgibson Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am

Very, very proud of my favorite airline. Group members should have received an email today announcing that the "day of flight" airline restrictions will not apply to lifetime members.
Thanks to all of you that wrote letters, filed AG complaints, shopped around our potential class action complaint and did other forms of protest.

Probably best to fly with that email for the next few months.

srockgibson Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am

I will be keeping open the Facebook group for Delta Sky Club Lifetime Members. It will no longer be a protest group. Just a group for Lifetime members to exchange experience/tips in using our LIfetime memberships.

Feel free to join, if you haven't already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2307706519299436/

reimero Jan 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Still on the early side to tell if the changes are leading to less crowding, but my (admittedly limited) experience has been mixed.

ATL Terminal E last Tuesday afternoon was steady but not slammed.
LAX T3 last Thursday morning (around 8 am) was pretty busy.
DTW B/C concourse late Thursday afternoon was nearly empty: I'd be surprised if there were more than a dozen people there. Glorious!
DTW North? (by Gate 68) this morning around 8 was near capacity.

xliioper Jan 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Since DTW McNamara terminal only has Delta and DL partner flights, I would expect no difference at the DTW clubs. LAX T3 would be DL only passengers as well I believe.

srockgibson Jan 14, 2019 5:15 pm

True at DTW, but at LAX there's post security shuttle bus that connects the secure areas of Terminals B, 2 and 3. Some Southwest flights also operate in Terminal 2 near the T2 Sky Club. There are also post security walking connectors between terminals 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and B. So if you have a long connection and don't mind walking . . .

sethb Jan 14, 2019 8:05 pm

You went through Security Theater an extra time just to go to the Sky Club?!?

jiburi Jan 16, 2019 10:00 am

Update: Don't know if this is a change, but I recently checked-in to Skyclub via SkyClub's portable handheld device and the display DID indicate the expiration date. There is still no designation of "lifetime" but expiration date might for the short term, be the indicator for "lifetime"

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 30655560)
You went through Security Theater an extra time just to go to the Sky Club?!?

Yeah, my itinerary had a 9 hour layover in SFO. If for a normal 2 hours or less connection, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Jiburi

srockgibson Jan 16, 2019 10:21 am

Yes, with the 2-minute airside connector between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1, it makes it extremely easy to use the SFO Sky Club for American and Alaska, but it's not worth it for United and International A and G.

Camino1 Jan 17, 2019 1:31 pm

TBIC Lounge

Pardon me and redirect me if this is the wrong forum. I was at LAX International and couldn't find a Sky Club or any lounge welcoming a Silver Medallion AMEX Business Plat cardholder.

Help?

Repooc17 Jan 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Camino1 (Post 30667489)
Pardon me and redirect me if this is the wrong forum. I was at LAX International and couldn't find a Sky Club or any lounge welcoming a Silver Medallion AMEX Business Plat cardholder.

Help?

The only ST (SkyTeam) lounge in TBIT of LAX is operated by KE (Korean Air).

Delta operates two SC lounges at LAX - one in T2, and another in T3

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 30661944)
Yeah, my itinerary had a 9 hour layover in SFO. If for a normal 2 hours or less connection, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Jiburi

Hope you took advantage of those 9 hours and gone into the city.

flyerCO Jan 18, 2019 5:38 am

Originally Posted by srockgibson (Post 30655064)
True at DTW, but at LAX there's post security shuttle bus that connects the secure areas of Terminals B, 2 and 3. Some Southwest flights also operate in Terminal 2 near the T2 Sky Club. There are also post security walking connectors between terminals 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and B. So if you have a long connection and don't mind walking . . .

All WN departues operate out of T1. WN international flights arrive in TBIT, but plane is towed to T1 for departure.

xliioper Jan 18, 2019 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30667574)
The only ST (SkyTeam) lounge in TBIT of LAX is operated by KE (Korean Air).

Delta operates two SC lounges at LAX - one in T2, and another in T3

Hope you took advantage of those 9 hours and gone into the city.

An Amex Plat card is only good at actual Sky Clubs. You can't use it to get into Skyteam partner lounges. However, it does come with a Priority Pass Select membership. The KE lounge does accept that, but you have to activate it and use the PP card to get in. The PP card can also be used at PF Chang's in TBIT.

deltamedallionflyer Jan 18, 2019 6:42 am

follow the money

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 29068110)
Significant reduction in benefits in particular for those who have a SC membership. Why strip partner lounge access? That could be a huge loss for pax flying international such as through CDG or AMS.

Really at that point it makes the SC a domestic only lounge program and not worth it.

more than half my travel is international and the real value of a skyclub membership for me has always been international lounge access.

according to one informative club employee overseas, the partner lounges are so strict with delta access because of the reimbursement model in place. partner airlines feel like theyare not adequately reimbursed for delta customers' visits to their clubs. it's been my experience that there have been increasing restrictions on access for KLM/air france lounges for years. this is just the final nail in the coffin and further proof that these "partnerships" are tenuous, at best.

that, and/or the powers that be are planning to expand on their pay-as-you-go model and introduce an "international" sky club membership at double the price!
which some people will no doubt be willing to pay for after a year without international lounge access.

srockgibson Jan 18, 2019 6:44 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30670158)
All WN departues operate out of T1. WN international flights arrive in TBIT, but plane is towed to T1 for departure.

I'm just going by the LAX and Southwest's websites which both state that terminals other than T1 are occasionally used for WN departures and to check departure gate before heading to the airport

https://www.flylax.com/en/terminals/terminal2

and

https://www.los-angeles-airport.com/...hwest-airlines

flyerCO Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

Originally Posted by srockgibson (Post 30670342)
I'm just going by the LAX and Southwest's websites which both state that terminals other than T1 are occasionally used for WN departures and to check departure gate before heading to the airport

https://www.flylax.com/en/terminals/terminal2

and

https://www.los-angeles-airport.com/...hwest-airlines

The second link clearly says TBIT. Which is where they arrive when they operate international flights to LAX. Also if you goto Sputhwest's website it lists checkin at T1, and that they use gates in T1 (1x) and TBIT (1xx).

There's no checkin for WN at T2. The first link was what was originally thought up, but not what actually happened.

Here's the list of what ended up being the changes.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...37d77d906c.png

FBplatinum Jan 18, 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer (Post 30670329)
that, and/or the powers that be are planning to expand on their pay-as-you-go model and introduce an "international" sky club membership at double the price!
which some people will no doubt be willing to pay for after a year without international lounge access.

If you are STE+ (Skymiles, Gold, Platinum or Diamond). You still have access to international lounge (with a same day Delta (or Skyteam) flight).
I did not see a "big" market for an "international" sky club membership

BWIflyerman Jan 18, 2019 9:56 am

This was wonderful news for Lifetime members since I only fly Delta maybe once a year, but am a very frequent flyer through airports offering a Sky Club.

srockgibson Jan 18, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BWIflyerman (Post 30671071)
This was wonderful news for Lifetime members since I only fly Delta maybe once a year, but am a very frequent flyer through airports offering a Sky Club.

It's also wonderful news since it was the right thing to do. It's what we were promised and what we paid for when we bought our Lifetime memberships. Some Lifetime members paid as much as $4,000 in the 1990s ($7,000 in today's dollars).

socalflying Jan 20, 2019 7:30 am

Reserve Card Access

Sorry if this has already been answered--have AMEX reserve, flights are SNA-ATL-CDG. First segment Delta, second AF. Neither segment biz/first. Do I have free club access in ATL, or will it cost $29? Website just says access for those "travelling on Delta flight", no mention of arrival/departure airports.

xliioper Jan 20, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by socalflying (Post 30677859)
Sorry if this has already been answered--have AMEX reserve, flights are SNA-ATL-CDG. First segment Delta, second AF. Neither segment biz/first. Do I have free club access in ATL, or will it cost $29? Website just says access for those "travelling on Delta flight", no mention of arrival/departure airports.

Since first segment is on a Delta flight, you should be able to access without paying a fee. I suppose it would be helpful if they clarified if any same-day flight qualifies. However, they don't say it's a departures only benefit (like the Skyteam Elite Plus access).

flyerCO Jan 20, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by socalflying (Post 30677859)

Just need a same day DL flight. Doesn't matter the city.

socalflying Jan 20, 2019 8:34 am

Thank you both for your prompt replies--I appreciate it!