FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

355F1 Nov 16, 17 10:33 am

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019
 
Loyalty Lobby is reporting some major changes to the SkyClub policy:


​​​​​​https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/


​​​​​​Here are the changes:

Sky Club members can only access Club when traveling same-day ticketed Delta or partner flights (previously could access even when flying on other airlines). Sky Club members will lose access to partner lounges (currently access to select Air France, KLM and Virgin Australia lounges).

American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.

American Express Reserve card holders have complimentary club access when they are traveling on Delta marketed or operated (Delta coded WestJet also qualify) flights booked on Delta’s ticket stock. There is fee of $29 for each guest that must travel on Delta or any partner airline (previously all airlines). Reserve card holders can also pay this same $29 fee and access the Club when traveling on Delta partner airlines (previously any airline).

American Express SkyMiles Gold & Platinum card holders can now pay $29 to access the club only when traveling on Delta or partner airline (previously could be traveling on any airline).

LoganFlyer Nov 16, 17 10:44 am

What?! If true, this makes no sense. If I buy a SkyClub membership, I should be able to get into an SC whenever, not just when I'm flying DL.

jamiestr Nov 16, 17 10:45 am

Guess they are trying to curb overcrowding? Doesn't really affect me since I have a Reserve Card.

andrewk829 Nov 16, 17 10:47 am

Requirement to be traveling on Delta or a partner as a condition of lounge access seems reasonable. That is a de facto requirement in some airports where different airlines' gates are isolated from each other with respect to security checkpoints.

But, losing access to partner lounges kind of sucks. Is it possible that some people were gaming lounge reciprocity by, say, buying a club membership from the partner that had the lowest membership fee, even if that partner's lounges would get little or no use from that person?

jamesteroh Nov 16, 17 10:49 am

We will still have access to partner lounges though if we are travelling on DL metal as an STE and/or J though I hope.

TTT Nov 16, 17 10:52 am


Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29067754)
Loyalty Lobby is reporting some major changes to the SkyClub policy:


​​​​​​https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/


​​​​​​Here are the changes:

Sky Club members can only access Club when traveling same-day ticketed Delta or partner flights (previously could access even when flying on other airlines). Sky Club members will lose access to partner lounges (currently access to select Air France, KLM and Virgin Australia lounges).

American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.

American Express Reserve card holders have complimentary club access when they are traveling on Delta marketed or operated (Delta coded WestJet also qualify) flights booked on Delta’s ticket stock. There is fee of $29 for each guest that must travel on Delta or any partner airline (previously all airlines). Reserve card holders can also pay this same $29 fee and access the Club when traveling on Delta partner airlines (previously any airline).

American Express SkyMiles Gold & Platinum card holders can now pay $29 to access the club only when traveling on Delta or partner airline (previously could be traveling on any airline).

The part in bold isn't correct. The Amex Platinum/Centurion access currently requires same-day Delta flight and the guesting went away a while ago.

DiverDave Nov 16, 17 10:52 am


Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 29067801)
What?! If true, this makes no sense. If I buy a SkyClub membership, I should be able to get into an SC whenever, not just when I'm flying DL.

This change is lame. Thanks, Ed. :td:

gaugeguy Nov 16, 17 10:54 am


Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 29067840)
This change is lame. Thanks, Ed. :td:

I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.

worldwidedreamer Nov 16, 17 10:59 am

These changes, if true, significantly reduce the value proposition of the program.

Loosing partner lounge access reduces the value proposition of flying on partner airlines; living in a major market non-DL hub (SFO) flying AF or KE is hugely important for second tier cities. UA, by comparison, provides access to almost all Star Alliance lounges. Also, AA has recently increased reciprocal privileges for Admirals Club members flying on AA.

I can understand limiting guests, increasing revenue per guest by charging more/limiting credit card holders, etc. but limiting access when flying on a non-partner airline seems pretty draconian.

Also----I'm pretty sure that Amex Plat/Cent customers already must be flying DL.

Hope that this article is inaccurate.

LBJ Nov 16, 17 11:07 am


Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 29067801)
What?! If true, this makes no sense. If I buy a SkyClub membership, I should be able to get into an SC whenever, not just when I'm flying DL.

It hasn't technically been "whenever" for awhile now. They've required that you have a same day flight (any airline) for several years.

LBJ Nov 16, 17 11:13 am


Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 29067867)
These changes, if true, significantly reduce the value proposition of the program.

Loosing partner lounge access reduces the value proposition of flying on partner airlines; living in a major market non-DL hub (SFO) flying AF or KE is hugely important for second tier cities. UA, by comparison, provides access to almost all Star Alliance lounges. Also, AA has recently increased reciprocal privileges for Admirals Club members flying on AA.

I can understand limiting guests, increasing revenue per guest by charging more/limiting credit card holders, etc. but limiting access when flying on a non-partner airline seems pretty draconian.

Also----I'm pretty sure that Amex Plat/Cent customers already must be flying DL.

Hope that this article is inaccurate.


It only applies to Sky Club members. I would assume many of those who are routinely flying partners internationally will likely have DL Gold status or higher and thus have access via Skyteam Elite Plus status. How many people who are less than Gold actually purchase Sky Club memberships? The bigger issue will be when flying domestically on DL out of IAH and IAD where there are no Sky Clubs. And, yes, the part about Plat/Cent Amex is clearly incorrect as they already are required to be flying DL for access and pay for guests.

KenfromDE Nov 16, 17 11:24 am


Originally Posted by gaugeguy (Post 29067851)
I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.

This would be a classic case of bate and switch. If United follows their lead, there goes my LAS substitute lounge. Guess I would need to fly out on Delta and back on United. (Have lifetime in both clubs. United's cost $250 and they tossed in a lifetime membership for my wife and a $25 credit for the previous years membership)

FlagrantViola Nov 16, 17 11:35 am

This is all good news!

rylan Nov 16, 17 11:58 am

Significant reduction in benefits in particular for those who have a SC membership. Why strip partner lounge access? That could be a huge loss for pax flying international such as through CDG or AMS.

Really at that point it makes the SC a domestic only lounge program and not worth it.

LBJ Nov 16, 17 12:03 pm


Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 29067976)
This would be a classic case of bate and switch. If United follows their lead, there goes my LAS substitute lounge. Guess I would need to fly out on Delta and back on United. (Have lifetime in both clubs. United's cost $250 and they tossed in a lifetime membership for my wife and a $25 credit for the previous years membership)

That would be "bait", and no it's no a classic case as it requires some form of intent. You can't seriously believe that when they originally sold the lifetime membership many years ago that they would be specifically changing the terms and were intentionally trying to "trick" you. I believe the NW Worldclub memberships did not require that you actually be flying for entrance, so the terms for NW Worldclub lifetime memberships have already been changed once.

javabytes Nov 16, 17 12:10 pm

Keep climbing :D

Am I correct that this change seems to impact existing memberships before the expiration of their current term, in the typical DL fashion of yanking the rug out from under their customers?

dw Nov 16, 17 12:11 pm

With this change, would there even be any advantage to paying $495 for an individual membership vs paying $450 for the AMEX Reserve?

C W Nov 16, 17 12:13 pm

I am correct to surmise that Amex Plat access is not changing at all?

enviroian Nov 16, 17 12:24 pm

Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.

IggySD Nov 16, 17 12:39 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.

Twice in the past few months. Once from BOS was rerouted on WS due to a delay on DL (which may have been ok since they are technically a partner) and once flying out of IND on AA where there is no other club. There may be nothing to see for you but please don't assume these changes don't impact anyone else. For some of us this is a devaluation.

hobbseltoff Nov 16, 17 12:41 pm


Originally Posted by C W (Post 29068183)
I am correct to surmise that Amex Plat access is not changing at all?

The OP has incorrect info. You have to pay $30 now in addition to flying DL same-day.

C W Nov 16, 17 12:43 pm


Originally Posted by hobbseltoff (Post 29068310)
The OP has incorrect info. You have to pay $30 now in addition to flying DL same-day.

What is your source? I see nothing about this on any blog.

sky303 Nov 16, 17 12:45 pm


Originally Posted by hobbseltoff (Post 29068310)
The OP has incorrect info. You have to pay $30 now in addition to flying DL same-day.


Originally Posted by C W (Post 29068318)
What is your source? I see nothing about this on any blog.

Yeah, source please.

hobbseltoff Nov 16, 17 12:46 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta?

I have a membership and I only fly Delta about 15% of the time. This is a huge devaluation for me as I use this benefit at least 4-5 times a month. There are a large amount of SkyClubs in the US and often they are the only good option for a lounge. I am definitely not renewing when mine expires next year.

hobbseltoff Nov 16, 17 12:48 pm


Originally Posted by C W (Post 29068318)
What is your source? I see nothing about this on any blog.


Originally Posted by sky303 (Post 29068333)
Yeah, source please.

Edit: I take back what I said, I misread Amex SkyMiles Platinum as Amex Platinum.

C W Nov 16, 17 12:48 pm


Originally Posted by hobbseltoff (Post 29068342)
This is my source: https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/

OMAAT cites it as well.


American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.
We aren't talking about guests...

seat38a Nov 16, 17 12:52 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.

Nope, United Club is ANY airline boarding pass and up to two non family member guests. Also, you get access to any Star Alliance Gold labeled partner lounges.

worldwidedreamer Nov 16, 17 12:54 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times.

Actually that is incorrect. United Club members flying any airline have lounge access.

"A valid United Club membership card and boarding pass for same-day travel."

Also---passengers holding military ID and a UA boarding pass within 24 hours, and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus + Select Executive regardless of airline.

hockeystl Nov 16, 17 1:09 pm


Originally Posted by gaugeguy (Post 29067851)
I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.

Add me to this list. Will be interested to see how DL handles this for those of us with LT membership. I spread my flying around more in 2017 than in any other year (and will be flying DL even less in 2018) so this could definitely impact me.

mikesyr18 Nov 16, 17 1:29 pm

Do airlines every improve the perks instead of taking them away or making them more expensive, ever?

HofstraJet Nov 16, 17 1:38 pm


Originally Posted by dw (Post 29068172)
With this change, would there even be any advantage to paying $495 for an individual membership vs paying $450 for the AMEX Reserve?

+1

I see no reason to have a membership - just use AMEX Platinum as the benefits are the same. Am I missing something?

rylan Nov 16, 17 1:38 pm


Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 29068497)
Do airlines every improve the perks instead of taking them away or making them more expensive, ever?

Yes, albeit at about a 1:10 ratio of improvement to devaluation.

mikesyr18 Nov 16, 17 1:46 pm


Originally Posted by rylan (Post 29068524)
Yes, albeit at about a 1:10 ratio of improvement to devaluation.

And then they wonder why they're the industry to hate besides banks.

Stop devaluing points and lounges. Airlines need to realize customers who use FF perks and longes are their money makers, not Joe Schmo who flies once every three years and pays $310 for their ticket.

hi55us Nov 16, 17 1:58 pm

Wait wait... might be the new FT format messing with me, but where is this info coming from? Big parts of it are wrong and our lovely friends over at Loyalty Lobby do not cite anything directly from Delta.

Amex (unbranded) Platinum cardholders and Amex Reserve cardholders have not been able to bring in guests for a while, article is very much off the mark.

355F1 Nov 16, 17 2:07 pm


Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 29068610)
Wait wait... might be the new FT format messing with me, but where is this info coming from? Big parts of it are wrong and our lovely friends over at Loyalty Lobby do not cite anything directly from Delta.

Amex (unbranded) Platinum cardholders and Amex Reserve cardholders have not been able to bring in guests for a while, article is very much off the mark.


Gary Leff at View from the Wing just posted the same story on his blog:


http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ne-passengers/

golfr Nov 16, 17 2:15 pm

i'm just glad they let me in after the flight as well.

RumPatrol Nov 16, 17 2:19 pm


Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29068642)
Gary Leff at View from the Wing just posted the same story on his blog:


http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ne-passengers/

Looks like the source is just this thread, but he does correct the incorrect information about Amex Platinum/Centurion that is in the original link here, as those are the current Amex Platinum/Centurion access policies.

I almost exclusively use my Amex Platinum to access Sky Clubs, even when I would otherwise be eligible to access through other means (int'l business, STE+, etc), so anything that thins out the herd is fine by me.

AANYC1981 Nov 16, 17 2:23 pm

Obviously I split my flying domestically between AA/DL, so this kinda sucks because if I am flying AA in an airport without an AC but there is a SC, I would use the SC. Did this at SFO when the LUS gates were still out of the DL terminal (not sure if that is still the case?).

LBJ Nov 16, 17 2:31 pm


Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29068642)
Gary Leff at View from the Wing just posted the same story on his blog:


http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ne-passengers/

Where he is simply referencing this thread as his source.

GRALISTAIR Nov 16, 17 2:31 pm

Having a same day DL flight is fine by me. Only used a club twice when flying another airline.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:30 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.