FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

ethernal Jan 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 29343223)
But as long as the flyer is GM+ on Delta wouldn't they still have access to the skyclub is flying on a skyteam partner? If someone is going to invest $450 for a Skyclub membership chances are they are already flying enough to be at least gold anyway.

That was my point. The only time that the SkyClub membership provides a relative benefit is if you are not a GM+ and flying on a partner airline. But, even if that is the case, the Priority Pass covers you 95% of the time. So it's difficult to find a use case where you fly enough to not make STE+ while also happen to fly enough and fly enough to airports that don't have PP lounges.

hi55us Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Maybe Delta is doing this in an effort to get people to signup for the Reserve Card/Amex Platinum Card.

They very well might get more money from Amex than club memberships...

Collierkr Jan 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 29337580)
OK I guess but...wait what was your point again? :D

i don’t remember. Just got off a redyeye and couldn’t use the club to get coffee 😎

MSPeconomist Jan 29, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 29333150)
Pretty huge difference between simply requiring a boarding pass for ANY airline and requiring one for United. And how often is anyone at the airport beyond security without a boarding pass??

Nonrevs plus airline and airport employees, who aren't necessarily flying that day (on any airline).

MSPeconomist Jan 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Yes, if a GM+ is flying an international SkyTeam itinerary that day. The SkyTeam lounge access policy doesn't cover domestic SkyTeam flights.

Partners such as VA and VS that aren't SkyTeam members aren't covered by the policy either. In fact, for some cases of VA/VS lounge access PM/DM status is required IIRC.

SuperG1955 Jan 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29353802)
Nonrevs plus airline and airport employees, who aren't necessarily flying that day (on any airline).

Nonrevs have Seat Request Cards, which look like boaring passes and are probably what those on E Fares have.

Employees travelling nonrev are prohibited from using their employee ID for post-security and must use the regular TSA Lines (Usually Pre)

SuperG1955 Jan 29, 2018 12:49 pm

'Lifetime Sky Club Memberships' are Executive Memberships that have an expiration date of 12/31/2079. I'll deal with that in about 61 years.

MSPeconomist Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 29354083)
Nonrevs have Seat Request Cards, which look like boaring passes and are probably what those on E Fares have.

Employees travelling nonrev are prohibited from using their employee ID for post-security and must use the regular TSA Lines (Usually Pre)

Yes, but a working crew member, GA, ramper, etc. would be airside without boarding passes, as would be airport employees such as people with jobs at Chick-Fil-A etc. They're not supposed to use SCs (or PP lounges, etc.).

SuperG1955 Jan 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29354130)
Yes, but a working crew member, GA, ramper, etc. would be airside without boarding passes, as would be airport employees such as people with jobs at Chick-Fil-A etc. They're not supposed to use SCs (or PP lounges, etc.).

An employee can have a Sky Club Membership. The are prohibited from using it when in uniform or with airline ID showing. Delta has rules about employee members using the Club.

We go to restaurants, not the Club when we meet our employee kids if they're working. They're travelling Int'l D1 (Paid) in April and will use the Club as 'regular' D1 travelers.

Unless Chick-Fil-A has raised wages dramatically as a result of the new tax laws, I don't think that too many of their employees, or other airport retail workers, are going to spend the $$$ to join the Sky Club. Where is it written that they're not supposed to use SC's, etc? Are they second class citizens?

MSPeconomist Jan 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Most airport lounges don't want to be used as a bar for free happy hour (or free meals) for airport employees, unless of course they're traveling that day and have access.

StayingHomeIsBetter Jan 31, 2018 9:58 am

1. WRT partner lounge access, perhaps DL just got tired of paying the fees imposed by the "partners" for our accessing their lounges. All pennies need to be pinched. :rolleyes:

2. More generally, these changes may portend the eventual elimination of complimentary club membership for DMs. Those of us who were PMs back in the days when PMs got complimentary membership may be faced with deja vu all over again.

DCAflyer81 Jan 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Dumb question - what is current price for a day pass if I show my Delta AmEx? Last I checked was still the $29 fee. Does this allow me a free guest? Thanks!

KDCAflyer Jan 31, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81 (Post 29363764)
Dumb question - what is current price for a day pass if I show my Delta AmEx? Last I checked was still the $29 fee. Does this allow me a free guest? Thanks!

It's $29 for you, and $29 per guest. Up to two guests allowed.

CKDGM Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81 (Post 29363764)

It's not a "day" pass (which no longer exist AFAIK), it's a "single visit" pass. Reports are that you can usually get them to give you a receipt to use at other SCs in the same airport where applicable (ATL/DTW/etc), but you can't use it at both your originating and connecting airports unless you pay another $29.

You'd have to pay the $29 for yourself and for each guest (and you might be limited to 2 guests, not sure).

sethb Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29068687)
Looks like the source is just this thread, but he does correct the incorrect information about Amex Platinum/Centurion that is in the original link here, as those are the current Amex Platinum/Centurion access policies.

I almost exclusively use my Amex Platinum to access Sky Clubs, even when I would otherwise be eligible to access through other means (int'l business, STE+, etc), so anything that thins out the herd is fine by me.

When I'm flying international, they won't take my Amex Platinum for entry, the boarding pass alone suffices.

sethb Feb 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky (Post 29073121)
Three major devaluations in a day:

1. SkyClub Membership Access rules. AMex Card holders and SkyClub members are not allowed to access the lounge. --> Canceled the AMex cards last year. Now even less incentive to go back to AMex
2. Upgrade elimination on D1 routes. Stingy upgrade instruments provided to PMs and DMs.
3. Fuel Surcharges on DL awards out of US

1. Sky Club access rules for me (Amex Platinum holder) aren't changing.
2. D1 domestic upgrades were never free (F upgrades on those routes were); D1 upgrades by RUC were something I found preferable to free F upgrades. And come April, domestic D1 upgrades will again be free.
3. On my last TATL mileage ticket, I paid taxes and government fees, no fuel surcharge.

sethb Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 29335322)
UA policy would come into play on certain red eye flights that board one day and land the next thus preventing UC access after arrival. It comes down to definition of a boarding pass

Did they really? Delta is more generous (Amex Platinum requires same-day boarding pass, but arrival after a redeye works.)

sethb Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29353802)

Delta lets nonrevs (with seat request cards) into the Sky Clubs with an Amex swipe.

btonkid12345 Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 29448625)
Delta lets nonrevs (with seat request cards) into the Sky Clubs with an Amex swipe.

As long as Amex is paying for it...why does DL care?

Orange County Commuter Feb 23, 2018 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 29354083)

LOL! If this is true it's got to be #1 on the "rules we ignore" list. I even know a FA who will wear a uniform when flying nonrev to make sure she gets to the front of the security lines!

hockeyinsider Feb 24, 2018 4:18 pm

For the first time ever, the Delta agent at the Washington-Dulles check-in counter told me to visit the Air France/KLM lounge. In the past, access has always been a secret, if you will. In my opinion, the Air France/KLM lounge at Dulles is the single best domestic lounge for a Delta passenger.

CKDGM Feb 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 29448570)
When I'm flying international, they won't take my Amex Platinum for entry, the boarding pass alone suffices.

IIUC in that case the SkyTeam Elite Plus benefit gets you in without needing any other membership or access, though, so you wouldn't need anything other than the BP.

I took a SEA-YOW-BOS-SEA circle trip lately, and didn't need to show my AXP (just a boarding pass) to get into Sky Clubs on the days I flew into and out of Canads, but did when I was leaving BOS for SEA since I didn't have a same day international flight.

sethb Feb 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM (Post 29454943)
IIUC in that case the SkyTeam Elite Plus benefit gets you in without needing any other membership or access, though, so you wouldn't need anything other than the BP.

That's right; I was responding to someone who said he always used his Amex even when traveling internationally.

SuperG1955 Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter (Post 29450133)
LOL! If this is true it's got to be #1 on the "rules we ignore" list. I even know a FA who will wear a uniform when flying nonrev to make sure she gets to the front of the security lines!

An FA or other crew can get away with it pretty easily and aren't likely to get caught, but it's still taking a chance.

DiverDave Mar 6, 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 29071460)
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.

This topic went dormant, but I had some questions.

I have an Amex Plat and a SkyClub membership that is paid for about another five years. I am thinking of asking DL for a refund for the membership period after 1/1/2019.

Ignoring skyteam benefits, a SC member can only access Delta lounges starting 1/1/2019 and only then if flying Delta or a partner. Does "partner" mean the entire list of 26 airlines here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

At the present, I'm a domestic flyer so having access when flying a partner means zip. As a domestic flyer, it would seem the Amex Plat membership is just as good as having the SkyClub membership.

Has anybody tried to get a membership refund based on the changed access terms?

jiburi Mar 6, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 29492472)
This topic went dormant, but I had some questions.

I have an Amex Plat and a SkyClub membership that is paid for about another five years. I am thinking of asking DL for a refund for the membership period after 1/1/2019.

Ignoring skyteam benefits, a SC member can only access Delta lounges starting 1/1/2019 and only then if flying Delta or a partner. Does "partner" mean the entire list of 26 airlines here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

At the present, I'm a domestic flyer so having access when flying a partner means zip. As a domestic flyer, it would seem the Amex Plat membership is just as good as having the SkyClub membership.

Has anybody tried to get a membership refund based on the changed access terms?

Excellent question.

I doubt you would be given a refund unless your Amex Plat validity is also additional 5 years (although likeliness of being a member is high).

My complaint was filed to the courts in state of Georgia but didn't get enough tracking. Complaint was filed, and DL responded to both, me and the court, with a "sorry", "decisions had to be made" type letter. Court closed the case, unless further complaint or activity was warranted.

Jiburi

bostonbali Sep 4, 2018 10:10 pm

Has anybody else requested a refund to lifetime Executive memberships, or sued DL for this change?
As an ex-NWA Lifetime Lounge member, this is a very disappointing move, and certainty diminishes the value of the lifetime membership I purchased...

AANYC1981 Sep 4, 2018 11:18 pm

I was in the HNL club recently as a memer but flying another airline. I fell asleep god forbid and got up to get water and was quickly addressed by an overzealous agent when my flight time was. I said I’m flying a different airline today and she still asked me what my departure time was and if I was SC member......so bizzare

how the hell does she think I got into the club when I literally swipped my SC card 5 feet away from her with the other check-in colleague who didn’t care about my travel plans.

i get the changes coming in 2019 but this seemed a little much.

BenA Sep 4, 2018 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 30168698)
I was in the HNL club recently as a memer but flying another airline. I fell asleep god forbid and got up to get water and was quickly addressed by an overzealous agent when my flight time was. I said I’m flying a different airline today and she still asked me what my departure time was and if I was SC member......so bizzare

how the hell does she think I got into the club when I literally swipped my SC card 5 feet away from her with the other check-in colleague who didn’t care about my travel plans.

i get the changes coming in 2019 but this seemed a little much.

In smaller clubs, the staff often try to be helpful by announcing departing flight times. Occam’s Razor suggests that likely she was just trying to make sure you made your flight if there was a bank of DL departures about to board, and then it probably just turned into curiosity or a well intentioned attempt to monitor your flight for you as well.

NOLAnwGOLD Sep 6, 2018 1:09 am

Seems like there might be some issues with breach of contracts from the time you purchased your lifetime membership. I have one too and wondering the same thing. Know any lawyers?? Probably have to wait until you are denied entrance for something you could do before...so there's damages to claim for...

worldwidedreamer Sep 8, 2018 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 30172828)
Seems like there might be some issues with breach of contracts from the time you purchased your lifetime membership. I have one too and wondering the same thing. Know any lawyers?? Probably have to wait until you are denied entrance for something you could do before...so there's damages to claim for...

I'm not a lawyer, but pretty sure there was a clause in the contract that said/says DL can make/change rules at its whimsy. Now as to whether that clause is enforceable, I have no idea.

Where this will blow up for Delta is in the court of public opinion. Fundamentally they sold something, and want to change terms of the deal after taking money. Would be very surprised if this does not become a media story either locally with "seven on your side" or nationally. Just because something is legal does not make it right.

xliioper Sep 8, 2018 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 30183455)
I'm not a lawyer, but pretty sure there was a clause in the contract that said/says DL can make/change rules at its whimsy. Now as to whether that clause is enforceable, I have no idea.

Where this will blow up for Delta is in the court of public opinion. Fundamentally they sold something, and want to change terms of the deal after taking money. Would be very surprised if this does not become a media story either locally with "seven on your side" or nationally. Just because something is legal does not make it right.

Yes, I can just see this story on the front page of the NY Times. Clearly you have a slam dunk. What are you waiting for?

pvn Sep 8, 2018 8:53 pm

They should leave things as they were for the lifetime members, but prevent them from getting any hot food (tillamook and crackers only) and limit their free booze to Scorseby scotch since that was the deal when they bought their memberships.

monitor Sep 8, 2018 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 30183667)
They should leave things as they were for the lifetime members, but prevent them from getting any hot food (tillamook and crackers only) and limit their free booze to Scorseby scotch since that was the deal when they bought their memberships.

Isn't there some sort of salty "nut" mix which should also be on that list?

flyerCO Sep 9, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 30183455)

Also members still have a lifetime membership. The benefits of that membership have changed, however they still have one. Nothing about the purchase didn't allow NW to change the house rules/terms of entry.

Finally, there's been at least 1 bankruptcy filling since then. Without reading the filings no way to know if they gave their selves an out during that process.

HeadInTheClouds Sep 10, 2018 2:07 am

I just keep coming back to “why” here. I mean, how broad was the audience that have actual DL club memberships, fly other airlines that operate in the same terminals as DL, and use a DL lounge? This can’t be more than a rounding error in a most generous calculation. I just don’t get the motivation to tick people off here.

btonkid12345 Sep 10, 2018 3:58 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds (Post 30187175)
I just keep coming back to “why” here. I mean, how broad was the audience that have actual DL club memberships, fly other airlines that operate in the same terminals as DL, and use a DL lounge? This can’t be more than a rounding error in a most generous calculation. I just don’t get the motivation to tick people off here.

DL has the actual data, not just anecdotal evidence and assumptions of a rounding error

Some clubs are super crowded at peak times. Alleviating that is probably a good thing

flyerCO Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 30187336)
DL has the actual data, not just anecdotal evidence and assumptions of a rounding error

Some clubs are super crowded at peak times. Alleviating that is probably a good thing

1)these customers are likely paying full price to access a club when no other exists.
2)is exposes them to DL.
3)just because they have data doesn't mean they looked at it with all the correct variables.

I'm betting someone thought along the lines of, we impose this on all other methods of access, why not here.

worldwidedreamer Sep 10, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds (Post 30187175)
how broad was the audience that have actual DL club memberships, fly other airlines that operate in the same terminals as DL, and use a DL lounge?

On the West Coast the audience could well be more than a rounding error. The SEA and SFO SkyClubs are both phenomenal, and the PDX Club is best in that airport; Alaska will be in the same terminal at SAN soon, too. Alaska passengers might well opt for a DL membership vs an AS membership---especially because they do not really provide access to a lounge at SFO. I also prefer the DL lounge at ORD to the UA (except Polaris) or AA choices.

worldwidedreamer Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 30183632)
Yes, I can just see this story on the front page of the NY Times. Clearly you have a slam dunk. What are you waiting for?

Aside from being an individual life club member, I have much higher priorities in life than to manage a media campaign for club access.