FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

johndoe123 Dec 6, 2017 10:23 am

For clarification, are skywest flights Delta-operated, or only Delta-marketed and ticketed?

I regularly fly a skywest route and use the lounge with an Amex platinum. It is on a plane with the Delta logo on it, but it is not operated by Delta.

StayingHomeIsBetter Dec 6, 2017 11:41 am

Since I rarely fly any airline but DL, needing a DL ticket will not be a complicating factor for me.

What I will really miss is the access to partner lounges... both domestically an international.

Recently flew a number of times on Virgin Australia. Having access to their lounges was a great boon. I was even able to guest in my wife on my Sky Club membership... even better treatment than DL would have provided me.

xliioper Dec 6, 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by johndoe123 (Post 29141502)
For clarification, are skywest flights Delta-operated, or only Delta-marketed and ticketed?

I regularly fly a skywest route and use the lounge with an Amex platinum. It is on a plane with the Delta logo on it, but it is not operated by Delta.

There are no changes for Amex Plat cardholders. You must be flying a DL operated flight (or DL-coded, WS operated) in order to get access just as you do today. Yes, DL regional partner operated flights are considered DL operated (as long as that partner is operating the flight for DL).

xiphoid76 Dec 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.

Many times unfortunately for me. I live in a Delta hub - MSP, but work for the government and have to fly whatever contract they get for the cheapest which is frustratingly not Delta - about 1-2 times a month I fly non-Delta flights and have enjoyed the Sky Club lounge to get breakfast and relax before a flight. This is a deal breaker for me to end my membership :(

worldwidedreamer Dec 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by xiphoid76 (Post 29220309)
This is a deal breaker for me to end my membership :(

Please let them know this if/when you cancel the subscription. Only if they understand that reducing the value prop decreases revenue will they be less unreasonable.

pvn Dec 28, 2017 7:38 am

Many times unfortunately for me. I live in a Delta hub - MSP, but work for the government and have to fly whatever contract they get for the cheapest which is frustratingly not Delta - about 1-2 times a month I fly non-Delta flights and have enjoyed the Sky Club lounge to get breakfast and relax before a flight. This is a deal breaker for me to end my membership :(

Get the Amex Platinum, you have access to the clubs when you're flying Delta and the Escape lounge when you're not.

jamesteroh Dec 28, 2017 8:05 am

A good friend of mine is in the same situation at Nashville. He is stuck flying Southwest a lot and liked having Skyclub access at BNA.

Do you have an Am Ex Plat or Priority pass? If you have an Am Ex Plat you can use the Escape lounge at MSP (unfortunately they no longer take PP) or you can use PP for a credit at the PGA lounge at MSP.

KDCAflyer Dec 28, 2017 8:49 am

I see Delta rolling this back when a ton of people drop their memberships. It would have made sense in a world when every DM automatically got a membership, but now with the number of DMs being reduced, and access becoming an optional benefit, it simply does not make sense.

I don't really understand this move. The SkyClubs are not overcrowded anymore, at least not as badly as they used to be.

SteveinA2 Dec 28, 2017 3:22 pm

The frustrating thing is that the crowded Sky clubs are the Hub airports. If you are in a Hub you are most likely flying Delta, so this rule doesn't help. The uncrowded sky clubs are BNA, IND, ORD, MEM, etc and all these are very useful when you are flying another airline.

This rule will annoy Delta's business traveller passengers and IMO do little change of overcrowding at the hubs

ATOBTTR Dec 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 29222969)
I see Delta rolling this back when a ton of people drop their memberships. It would have made sense in a world when every DM automatically got a membership, but now with the number of DMs being reduced, and access becoming an optional benefit, it simply does not make sense.

I don't really understand this move. The SkyClubs are not overcrowded anymore, at least not as badly as they used to be.

What I don't get now is why anyone would now pay for a membership now since a membership is $495 for a Single membership and a DL Reserve AmEx can be had for $450. I guess the only reasons would be if you couldn't qualify for an AmEx for some reason or perhaps for an executive membership to have, albeit limited, guest privileges. The only other reasons I could see is the partner lounge access at certain airports that may not have a SkyClub but do have a partner lounge (such as IAH?) but Priority Pass could cover many of those and if you're traveling internationally, I have to imagine that if you travel enough that you're considering a SkyClub membership, you already travel enough to at least maintain GM and SkyTeam Elite Plus status.

FlytheTail Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2 (Post 29224538)
The frustrating thing is that the crowded Sky clubs are the Hub airports. If you are in a Hub you are most likely flying Delta, so this rule doesn't help. The uncrowded sky clubs are BNA, IND, ORD, MEM, etc and all these are very useful when you are flying another airline.

I generally agree, but the ORD lounge is often crowded, to the point of reaching full capacity and turning guests away and/or not allowing folks with day passes. So I don't think it's just a hub problem.

MikeyZBT Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
Nothing to see here folks, move along please.

Not true. Not being able to access the Skyteam partner clubs in Europe kinda sucks.

StayingHomeIsBetter Jan 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by gaugeguy (Post 29067851)
I wonder what they will do for those of us who have lifetime memberships. We were grandfathered in as executive memberships.

I regret that you may learn that, at times, DL has a rather novel concept of what "lifetime" means.

Spoken by a Flying Colonel with lifetime club membership (not!).

bostonbali Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm no attorney, but do Lifetime Members have any legal ground to stand on by suing Delta (ideally as a group) for reneging on the terms of the original membership purchased from NWA, which Delta purchased (including all assets and liabilities)?

xliioper Jan 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali (Post 29331987)
I'm no attorney, but do Lifetime Members have any legal ground to stand on by suing Delta (ideally as a group) for reneging on the terms of the original membership purchased from NWA, which Delta purchased (including all assets and liabilities)?

Go ahead and give it a go. I'm sure it will work out as well as the class action that UA "lifetime" million milers filed against them -- Chicago 'Million Miler' Says United Airlines 'Immorally' Took Away Benefits, Files Class Action - ABC News

Make sure you demand that they give you access even without a same-day BP like NW used to do (and maybe try to get them to re-open the old pre-security World Club at DCA too!). And don't forget to include the folks with lifetime Pan Am Clipper Club memberships --

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/pan...629/post-13071

trouble747 Jan 24, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 29071172)
We are splitting hairs here... United does now require same day boarding pass to enter a UC. 2 years ago this was not a requirement.

Pretty huge difference between simply requiring a boarding pass for ANY airline and requiring one for United. And how often is anyone at the airport beyond security without a boarding pass??

Collierkr Jan 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 29333150)
Pretty huge difference between simply requiring a boarding pass for ANY airline and requiring one for United. And how often is anyone at the airport beyond security without a boarding pass??

UA policy would come into play on certain red eye flights that board one day and land the next thus preventing UC access after arrival. It comes down to definition of a boarding pass

HofstraJet Jan 25, 2018 7:34 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 29331629)
I regret that you may learn that, at times, DL has a rather novel concept of what "lifetime" means.

When TiVo sold lifetime subscriptions to their service, they failed to mention that is was the lifetime of the TiVo box, not the lifetime of the subscriber. So if the box died, so did your subscription.

trouble747 Jan 25, 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 29335322)

UA policy would come into play on certain red eye flights that board one day and land the next thus preventing UC access after arrival. It comes down to definition of a boarding pass

OK I guess but...wait what was your point again? :D

meh130 Jan 25, 2018 7:52 am

A paid lounge membership should be a lounge membership, not lounge access. When I was a SC member I used the SC when I flew other airlines.

This makes credit card based lounge access much more valuable.

trouble747 Jan 25, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by meh130 (Post 29337638)
A paid lounge membership should be a lounge membership, not lounge access. When I was a SC member I used the SC when I flew other airlines.

Does DL have a premium lounge card like UA and AA? We don't have a skyclub at AUS (yet) so I've never looked. It would seem bizarre to limit that kind of membership to delta flyers.

jamesteroh Jan 25, 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 29331629)

Or like how they change lifetime status for the MM programs to annual status

jamesteroh Jan 25, 2018 8:22 am

Originally Posted by meh130 (Post 29337638)

I agree, as long as someone can qualify for a Delta reserve Am Ex they may as well get that instead of an individual membership since it's the same price. And if someone is flying Delta enough they are willing to pay for a Skyclub membership changes are they have status with Delta and the reserve card could help their upgrade chances as well plus they'll get the companion cert.

This also makes the medallion choice benefit of the sky club membership a lot less valuable.

KDCAflyer Jan 25, 2018 8:44 am

I predict that DL will roll this back when a bunch of people at competitive stations cancel their memberships and opt for AA or UA.

Horizons Jan 25, 2018 10:27 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29067903)
It hasn't technically been "whenever" for awhile now. They've required that you have a same day flight (any airline) for several years.

Not correct. I sometimes use Sky Clubs when flying another airline, or even when coming to the airport for a meeting, and the lounge staff have regularly gone out of their way to emphasize that this is permissible with a paid membership. In fact, I’m in the ORD Sky Club right now even though I flew in on United (on a nonstop route that Delta does not fly — though I did fly DL transcon yesterday). I always point out when I’m not on Delta, and the lounge checkers are unfailingly polite in telling me that I’m warmly welcome with my lifetime Sky Club card.

Today the receptionist explained that one year from now the Sky Club policy will change, and anyone using the club must have a same-day Delta (or SkyTeam, presumably) boarding pass. This does seem to violate the contract I have with them; I paid to be a Club member, not an “occasionally when it suits Delta” club member. I dropped some serious cash to buy this access.

jamesteroh Jan 25, 2018 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Horizons (Post 29338319)

Not correct. I sometimes use Sky Clubs when flying another airline, or even when coming to the airport for a meeting, and the lounge staff have regularly gone out of their way to emphasize that this is permissible with a paid membership. In fact, I’m in the ORD Sky Club right now even though I flew in on United (on a nonstop route that Delta does not fly — though I did fly DL transcon yesterday). I always point out when I’m not on Delta, and the lounge checkers are unfailingly polite in telling me that I’m warmly welcome with my lifetime Sky Club card.

Today the receptionist explained that one year from now the Sky Club policy will change, and anyone using the club must have a same-day Delta (or SkyTeam, presumably) boarding pass. This does seem to violate the contract I have with them; I paid to be a Club member, not an “occasionally when it suits Delta” club member. I dropped some serious cash to buy this access.

I've used the BNA skyclub a couple times in the past year when flying on Southwest with no issues. A friend of mine that flies united sometimes from Chicago has had no issues using the Skyclub there so not sure why people are saying it's been a policy for a while unless they are trying to gain entrance through an Am Ex swipe. I was at ORD last year and was behind a DYKWIA type who was flying united and his flight was really delayed and was upset that the ORD skyclub wouldn't allow him entrance with his Am Ex card on a United boarding pass which I think is a fair policy.

If someone has a lifetime membership they should honor the original T&C of the agreement. But I wouldn't be surprised if Delta doesn't. I signed up for a three year membership back when I was PM and was told that if I made diamond during that period the remaining portion of the membership would be tacked on after I lost the diamond status. Delta changed their policy on that so I spent money on a three year membership that only gave me six months of benefits:(

KDCAflyer Jan 25, 2018 11:43 am

As long as the US court system is so stacked against individuals, contracts with large corporations are basically one-way streets.

worldwidedreamer Jan 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 29338527)
If someone has a lifetime membership they should honor the original T&C of the agreement. But I wouldn't be surprised if Delta doesn't.

Most of the T&s's of contracts of adhesion indicate that the more powerful party (Delta in this case) has the right to change rules at their prerogative. Now given the diversity of ways that people have acquired Lifetime SkyClub memberships (from Western, PanAm, NWA, etc.) there might be different governing terms depending on how one obtained grandfathered status. At the same time for the vast majority of members who have subscription terms for a period of time, any damages would probably be limited to a partially pro rated rebate of funds paid.

Life SkyClub members were grandfathered in with Executive membership. A very reasonable, and easy, way to resolve this conflict would be for Delta to maintain benefits for Executive members (i.e. access when not flying Delta and possibly some partner lounge access) and reduce the benefits for general members.

chrisny2 Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet (Post 29337565)

When TiVo sold lifetime subscriptions to their service, they failed to mention that is was the lifetime of the TiVo box, not the lifetime of the subscriber. So if the box died, so did your subscription.

No they didn't. As someone who has had several TiVos with lifetime subscriptions, I've read upon each purchase that it's a subscription for the lifetime of the box.

xliioper Jan 26, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Horizons (Post 29338319)

As I stated, the membership rules have required that you have same-day boarding pass on any airline for awhile now. If you've been let without a same-day flight on any airline, it was a nice gesture by the agent but not part of the rules. As far as the new rule, it allows entry when flying DL same-day or any of it's partners. All of this is covered plainly on the website, so no need for conjecture or relying on an agent's claims.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...use-rules.html

"Delta Sky Club Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline."

"Effective January 1, 2019, Delta Sky Club members may only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines and will no longer have access to partner lounges."

jamesteroh Jan 26, 2018 9:24 am

A little OT but now that the Virgin Clubhouse at LAX in the same terminal as some Delta flights do skyclub members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LAX currently if flying Delta from LAX?

xliioper Jan 26, 2018 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 29342442)
A little OT but now that the Virgin Clubhouse at LAX in the same terminal as some Delta flights do skyclub members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LAX currently if flying Delta from LAX?

No, Sky Club members aren't provided access VS Clubhouse locations. Gold and higher get access to US Clubhouse locations with a same-day ticket from the US to the UK when flying DL or VS metal.

DAL-767 Jan 26, 2018 9:38 am

IMHO...Now a waste of money...unless you get it as a perk.

jamesteroh Jan 26, 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29342469)
No, Sky Club members aren't provided access VS Clubhouse locations. Gold and higher get access to US Clubhouse locations with a same-day ticket from the US to the UK when flying DL or VS metal.

Thanks! That's what I thought.

puddinhead Jan 26, 2018 11:32 am

Get a platinum Amex (not Delta branded).It included access to SkyClub lounges. It also includes Priority Pass (access the PGA lounge at MSP) and access to Centurion Lounges plus the Escape lounge at MSP.

HofstraJet Jan 26, 2018 11:54 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2 (Post 29341039)
No they didn't. As someone who has had several TiVos with lifetime subscriptions, I've read upon each purchase that it's a subscription for the lifetime of the box.

They didn't disclose for the DirecTV TiVo's - maybe they did for standalones. Was a big issue back before DirecTV had their own DVRs and TiVo was the only DirecTV DVR solution...but I digress. :)

HofstraJet Jan 26, 2018 11:56 am

Originally Posted by puddinhead (Post 29343002)

Get a platinum Amex (not Delta branded).It included access to SkyClub lounges. It also includes Priority Pass (access the PGA lounge at MSP) and access to Centurion Lounges plus the Escape lounge at MSP.

To be clear, Platinum Amex only provides access to SkyClub when flying Delta.

ethernal Jan 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet (Post 29343104)
To be clear, Platinum Amex only provides access to SkyClub when flying Delta.

Which is also now true for a membership.. the only difference is that the membership gives you access to SkyClubs when flying on partner planes, but honestly the priority pass covers most international travel (if you're not already SkyTeam Elite+ from GM).

HofstraJet Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 29343209)
Which is also now true for a membership.. the only difference is that the membership gives you access to SkyClubs when flying on partner planes, but honestly the priority pass covers most international travel (if you're not already SkyTeam Elite+ from GM).

Agreed. Just wanted it to be clear for everyone. :)

jamesteroh Jan 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 29343209)

But as long as the flyer is GM+ on Delta wouldn't they still have access to the skyclub is flying on a skyteam partner? If someone is going to invest $450 for a Skyclub membership chances are they are already flying enough to be at least gold anyway.