FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

flamingocrazyfl Feb 2, 2019 2:08 pm

I am a current Sky Club member and am considering getting the DL AMEX Reserve card. My current (paid) membership does not expire until June. Does anyone know what will happen to the remaining months? I’ve asked 2 SC reps and received 2 different answers. At first I was told the remaining months would be “suspended” and then reactivated later, should I ever cancel the Reserve card. The second rep I asked (just to confirm before getting the card) recommended that I wait until my membership expires as I would lose the remaining months. Can anyone here speak from experience on what will happen to the remaining months on my current membership?

Qwkynuf Feb 2, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl (Post 30732162)
I am a current Sky Club member and am considering getting the DL AMEX Reserve card. My current (paid) membership does not expire until June. Does anyone know what will happen to the remaining months? I’ve asked 2 SC reps and received 2 different answers. At first I was told the remaining months would be “suspended” and then reactivated later, should I ever cancel the Reserve card. The second rep I asked (just to confirm before getting the card) recommended that I wait until my membership expires as I would lose the remaining months. Can anyone here speak from experience on what will happen to the remaining months on my current membership?

I don't have a paid membership, but I am sure that I have read multiple times on here that it *used* to be that any remaining time on a paid membership was tacked onto the end of a complimentary membership, but that it had changed in the semi-recent past to be that the overlap was just discarded.

At any rate, the second agent was probably correct-ish in your particular case because the Reserve card only "grants access" to the Sky Clubs - it does not confer membership. Seems like a fine point of distinction, but that's what it is.

I think that, in real world terms, what would happen would be that you would continue to access the club under your paid membership, and when that expires they would switch over to using the card. The whole process would be invisible to you, but it wouldn't be necessarily true that you would "lose" the remaining months - you would just have overlap between two methods of access.

xliioper Feb 2, 2019 4:40 pm

As noted above, the Reserve card does not confer an actual SC membership, it just grants "access". They will not suspend or extend your SC membership just because you have the card. I have the Reserve card and several memberships that I bought awhile back and they have continued to run while I've had the card.

aricane Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am

Access with non US Amex Plat - restricted?

Hi,
today the same Amex Plat that I’ve used numerous times to enter to Delta Sky Clubs did not work at the handheld terminal / nor at the computer at LAX Delta sky club.

The agent was nice and wanted to call support to figure it out but since I only had 10 mins before my flight boarded I didn’t want to wait or try to challenge the agent - and went to Starbucks to grab coffee so wasn’t a big deal - but wondering if the policy did change recently or something wrong with my Amex..

srockgibson Jul 15, 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by aricane (Post 31305809)
Hi,
today the same Amex Plat that I’ve used numerous times to enter to Delta Sky Clubs did not work at the handheld terminal / nor at the computer at LAX Delta sky club.

The agent was nice and wanted to call support to figure it out but since I only had 10 mins before my flight boarded I didn’t want to wait or try to challenge the agent - and went to Starbucks to grab coffee so wasn’t a big deal - but wondering if the policy did change recently or something wrong with my Amex..

We're you flying on Delta today? Effective, Jan 1 of this year, you have to be flying on Delta to get club access, unless you're a Lifetime Sky Club member.

xliioper Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am

Originally Posted by srockgibson (Post 31305982)
We're you flying on Delta today? Effective, Jan 1 of this year, you have to be flying on Delta to get club access, unless you're a Lifetime Sky Club member.

Amex Plat cardholders have always been required to have a same-day DL flight for access. The policy did not change for them (the change was for those with an SC membership). If you have your Plat card in your profile, you should be able to enter with just a BP scan.

aricane Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31306045)
Amex Plat cardholders have always been required to have a same-day DL flight for access. The policy did not change for them (the change was for those with an SC membership). If you have your Plat card in your profile, you should be able to enter with just a BP scan.

Sorry if I was not clear enough, yes I was flying on Delta metal ticketed by Delta. LAX-AUS

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f091a4e7e.jpeg
This is the error message shown on the lounge agents’ PC

anyone else had a similar issue?

diburning Jul 23, 2019 7:13 am

The language on the Sky Club website seems to be a bit complicated.

I am traveling BOS-JFK-YYZ, so it's international, and wholly on Delta. I am also a Gold Medallion. Does this mean I get access in BOS and JFK? Here's the part that makes me think that I do (but would appreciate if someone could confirm):

SkyTeam Elite Plus® (including Delta Diamond, Platinum or Gold Medallion® Members) traveling in any cabin on a SkyTeam international flight or a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international flight (includes same-day travel on a Delta domestic flight connecting to an international Delta—or any other SkyTeam partner—flight) will receive club access with up to one guest. If traveling on an international itinerary, please show a frequent flyer credential for lounge access.

Note: SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at the departure airport and not at the arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying SkyTeam flight. SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits do not include access to third-party business lounges. For more details on third-party lounge access, click here.

*International Travel includes: Customers traveling to/from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Africa, Canada and Mexico (excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam, Palau and Saipan).

CarmenOM Jul 23, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31333013)
The language on the Sky Club website seems to be a bit complicated.

I am traveling BOS-JFK-YYZ, so it's international, and wholly on Delta. I am also a Gold Medallion. Does this mean I get access in BOS and JFK? Here's the part that makes me think that I do (but would appreciate if someone could confirm):

Yes, you do.

buckbuck Jul 24, 2019 8:28 am

Overcrowding in the JFK SkyClub has gotten so bad over the last year has gotten so bad (and it's not just because of construction), it is almost impossible to find a place to sit down. I asked one of the managers about it on my last visit (I'm there at least three times a month). She told me it's mainly driven by Amex Platinum card holders. Considering the overcrowding I've seen here and at many other SkyClubs seems that cost of entry is too low. I'm personally happy to see limitations based on day of travel. I'd also like to see an increase in cost for guests. Something has to be done. It's gotten so bad, inside the club is just as noisy and uncomfortable as outside the club. That's NOT what we're paying for.

Qwkynuf Jul 24, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by buckbuck (Post 31337167)
Overcrowding in the JFK SkyClub has gotten so bad over the last year has gotten so bad (and it's not just because of construction), it is almost impossible to find a place to sit down. I asked one of the managers about it on my last visit (I'm there at least three times a month). She told me it's mainly driven by Amex Platinum card holders. Considering the overcrowding I've seen here and at many other SkyClubs seems that cost of entry is too low. I'm personally happy to see limitations based on day of travel. I'd also like to see an increase in cost for guests. Something has to be done. It's gotten so bad, inside the club is just as noisy and uncomfortable as outside the club. That's NOT what we're paying for.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I wonder what you mean by "limitations based on day of travel"? To my knowledge, all methods of entry except grandfathered lifetime memberships require same day travel on a Delta flight (or certain international SkyTeam flights).

It's a little bit of a specious argument to suggest that cost should be used to manage capacity (the Disneyland solution - jack up the prices until only those who can *really* afford it can get in). In reality, Delta should be either expanding capacity to support the number of passengers that they are extending access to - or limiting the number who have access.

buckbuck Jul 24, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 31337494)
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I wonder what you mean by "limitations based on day of travel"? To my knowledge, all methods of entry except grandfathered lifetime memberships require same day travel on a Delta flight (or certain international SkyTeam flights).

It's a little bit of a specious argument to suggest that cost should be used to manage capacity (the Disneyland solution - jack up the prices until only those who can *really* afford it can get in). In reality, Delta should be either expanding capacity to support the number of passengers that they are extending access to - or limiting the number who have access.

Yes...with regard to same day of travel, that's what I mean. It is a good thing that travelers must be traveling with Delta at the time that they enter the club.

In referring to my point of view which is subjective as "specious" (therefore not wrong or misleading), you've got me stumped. Generally like it or not, airport lounges are meant to be somewhat exclusive, otherwise everyone would be lining up for free champagne and snacks. Heck, in Germany, Lufthansa has increasingly exclusive lounges based on class of service. For a very long time I was unable to afford the annual fee for the Red Carpet Club until my company started paying for it. I was okay with that. Airlines can only expand capacity so much before they run out of room. The lounge at JFK is huge and it still can't support the number of people that enter every day. So...yes, I support raising the prices especially for guests.

As far as Disneyland is concerned (not the best comparator), that is a whole different story. It should not be limited to those with means, corporate sponsored beneficiaries, etc. There are lots of other ways to control crowds to theme parks. I agree with you there.

WillBarrett_68 Jul 24, 2019 1:00 pm

1) there's only a finite amount of space in most airports
2) why is using cost to manage capacity bad but "limiting the number who have access" ... not bad?

defrosted Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31338201)
1) there's only a finite amount of space in most airports
2) why is using cost to manage capacity bad but "limiting the number who have access" ... not bad?

1) Space can be added at airports (expansion), many Skyclubs are getting more space now or next year. Seattle seems like a cramped airport but the Skyclub is cavernous.

2) I would say limiting access would be more beneficial for those that still have access because it would be all upside. Increasing costs would mean those that still have access would now be paying more, and there is no guarantee it would work (Disney was a good example, now it costs a fortune and is still packed). So "bad" in this case depends on which side of the limited access determination you fall.

scubadu Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm

<snip>Delta should be either expanding capacity to support the number of passengers that they are extending access to - or limiting the number who have access.

And of course one way to "limit the number who have access" is... wait for it... COST!

Not saying I'd pay continued cost increases, but it's a very legitimate way to control demand.

Contrary to another posters comment, not all airports are going to invest in a capital expansion just because an airline club has become overcrowded. It might be possible at some airports, particularly if an expansion is already in the works, but the idea that airports should just "expand" because FTers want to get into uncrowded airport lounges cheaply, probably isn't in the cards.

Regards

Qwkynuf Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31338265)
And of course one way to "limit the number who have access" is... wait for it... COST!

Not saying I'd pay continued cost increases, but it's a very legitimate way to control demand.

Contrary to another posters comment, not all airports are going to invest in a capital expansion just because an airline club has become overcrowded. It might be possible at some airports, particularly if an expansion is already in the works, but the idea that airports should just "expand" because FTers want to get into uncrowded airport lounges cheaply, probably isn't in the cards.

Regards

I guess my point is that I would prefer to hear Delta say "We have too many people in the Sky Clubs! We currently grant access in 10 different ways. Let's eliminate one of those and see what happens", rather than "We currently grant access in 10 different ways. Let's make everyone pay $50 for every entry...see if that thins things out a little". (as an example)

But if the goal is to make the place *even more* of an upper-middle-class-white-guy-club, then by all means....

WillBarrett_68 Jul 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted (Post 31338234)
1) Space can be added at airports (expansion),

At some, sure. But even where it's possible, it's not instantaneous.

2) I would say limiting access would be more beneficial for those that still have access because it would be all upside.
uh, well, yeah, obviously

Increasing costs would mean those that still have access would now be paying more, and there is no guarantee it would work (Disney was a good example, now it costs a fortune and is still packed). So "bad" in this case depends on which side of the limited access determination you fall.
How crowded do you think disney would be if they lowered prices? You can't just say "Well it's crowded" and conclude "raising prices has no effect on demand"

af fp Jul 24, 2019 2:15 pm

People who get access to the clubs are already paying quite a bit in some way (tickets, membership, elite flyers, entry fees) or they are affiliated with AmEx, Delta’s key partner. None of those ways to get access is that easy, not everyone can get an AmEx plat, and they pay AmEx a lot directly or indirectly, the club fees have gone up a lot, the benefits down, similarly getting elite status is much harder than it used to be...
Despite this the Clubs remain overcrowded, at this point I think a lot has been done to increase the cost to the user but not enough to increase the service. A crowded club for me is not really worth it and if I see this issue perpetuating I simply will not care about it, it won’t be a reason for me to pursue elite status or pay for business class, etc. DL should be well aware that the club offering is less valuable than it used to be.
First and foremost the club should be spacious, second the food and drink offering should be good... fighting through a crowd to get a glass of plonk and cold noodles in a paper plate is not a valuable experience.

scubadu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 31338287)
<snip>
But if the goal is to make the place *even more* of an upper-middle-class-white-guy-club, then by all means....

Yea, sorry that dog doesn't hunt with me. There are plenty people of all shades, sizes, and types that are able to afford club membership, flying in paid business, etc.

Regards

FlyingWithers Jul 25, 2019 8:13 am

I like the SkyClub changes. Good move.

Originally Posted by andrewk829 (Post 29067818)
Requirement to be traveling on Delta or a partner as a condition of lounge access seems reasonable. That is a de facto requirement in some airports where different airlines' gates are isolated from each other with respect to security checkpoints.

But, losing access to partner lounges kind of sucks. Is it possible that some people were gaming lounge reciprocity by, say, buying a club membership from the partner that had the lowest membership fee, even if that partner's lounges would get little or no use from that person?

WillBarrett_68 Jul 25, 2019 8:22 am

As usual, this is a case of "Delta needs to tighten up on access, but not the access method *I* personally use, it's the other access methods that are out of control"

defrosted Jul 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31338354)
uh, well, yeah, obviously

​​​​​​
You asked. No need to be snarky.

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31338354)
How crowded do you think disney would be if they lowered prices? You can't just say "Well it's crowded" and conclude "raising prices has no effect on demand"

I didn't say it would have no effect, however I was saying that it may not make a noticeable difference because people may just pay more. In contrast to eliminating an access would probably have a more meaningful impact. Not saying either is feasible or a good idea, but your question was why is one bad and not the other. For example eliminating access via AMEX Platinum would have a drastic impact vs raising fees by 25%. I believe most people would just pay more, however less likely most Amex Platinum would then go get a Amex Delta Reserve.

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31340977)
As usual, this is a case of "Delta needs to tighten up on access, but not the access method *I* personally use, it's the other access methods that are out of control"

Agreed, pretty standard NIMBY philosophy. Everyone wants the new highway to reduce congestion until they want to put it in your back yard. We shouldn't be surprised by this reaction, especially on the internet.

pfreet Jul 29, 2019 4:35 am

Many airports are doing a terrific job at improving amenities. In some cases now, the concourse experience is better than the sky club. Especially when the club is overcrowded - I'm looking at you JFK and SLC. I've discovered I'd rather sit at the restaurant by my gate at DTW than walk all the way to the sky club to fight thru the crowd to make my own cocktail.

stc Oct 31, 2019 4:41 pm

In case it wasn't mentioned, Lifetime Skyclub Members still have access when flying ANY airline (not just DL or partners). I'm posting this here because I didn't realize this and was pleasantly surprised to stumble on it (https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/house-rules).

ND76 Oct 31, 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet (Post 31353786)
Many airports are doing a terrific job at improving amenities. In some cases now, the concourse experience is better than the sky club. Especially when the club is overcrowded - I'm looking at you JFK and SLC. I've discovered I'd rather sit at the restaurant by my gate at DTW than walk all the way to the sky club to fight thru the crowd to make my own cocktail.

I like making my own cocktail. There are four clubs in DTW

I got so frustrated with the Skydeck not being opened at JFK in 2018 that I have avoided JFK in 2019; I've gone through LGA instead.

The new club at SLC is supposed to open next year.

miamiflyer8 Oct 31, 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 31687835)
In case it wasn't mentioned, Lifetime Skyclub Members still have access when flying ANY airline (not just DL or partners). I'm posting this here because I didn't realize this and was pleasantly surprised to stumble on it (https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/house-rules).

Yep, AA made the same exception while United seems not to be budging.

srockgibson Oct 31, 2019 10:20 pm

I don't know about AA and UA, but several of us DL Liletime members shared with Delta the original NW LIfetime offering materials. NW used to aggressively sell those LIfetime memberships when you entered the Top Flight Club (later renamed World Club). The option of using the club when flying any airline was a key feature in the sale. I don't know whether that was true with AA or UA.

stc Nov 1, 2019 3:41 am

Originally Posted by srockgibson (Post 31688571)
I don't know about AA and UA, but several of us DL Liletime members shared with Delta the original NW LIfetime offering materials. NW used to aggressively sell those LIfetime memberships when you entered the Top Flight Club (later renamed World Club). The option of using the club when flying any airline was a key feature in the sale. I don't know whether that was true with AA or UA.

Thank you very much for doing that.

xliioper Nov 1, 2019 7:10 am

Originally Posted by srockgibson (Post 31688571)

You used to be able to enter NW clubs even when you were not flying at all. DCA and SFO clubs were pre-security and you could still get to them post-9/11 without having a ticket. I bought a couple 3-year memberships I'm working through (currently on second one) that I purchased prior to changes requiring same-day DL flights. Guess I'm not important enough to get the grandfather treatment.

srockgibson Nov 1, 2019 7:27 am

Originally Posted by stc (Post 31689037)
Thank you very much for doing that.

There's a small Facebook group of Delta Lifetime SkyClub members. The purpose is to make sure our interests are properly represented with Delta. If you're already on FB you might consider joining. Just search FB groups for: Delta SkyClub Lifetime Member Protest Group. Most people in the group bought their Lifetime memberships from Northwest, although there's a smattering from Western, Pan-Am and I believe even Republic.

srockgibson Nov 1, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31689485)
You used to be able to enter NW clubs even when you were not flying at all. DCA and SFO clubs were pre-security and you could still get to them post-9/11 without having a ticket. I bought a couple 3-year memberships I'm working through (currently on second one) that I purchased prior to changes requiring same-day DL flights. Guess I'm not important enough to get the grandfather treatment.

Yes, in the days before airport security, some corporate recruiters would reserve an Airline club lounge conference room in a hub city (Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.) Then they would fly multiple candidates in and out of the hub and interview them in the Airline club lounge conference room. That way they didn't have to pay for candidate hotel stays or meals and they could be face-to-face with four or five candidates in a single day.

rukmi86 Nov 1, 2019 10:32 am

Hello Guys,

i have 2 Amex Platinum Cards & will be trying to access DTW Skyclub on Nov 15th. Do you guys think if i add one of the cards to my wife's wallet she should also be able to get the skyclub access?
thanks

WillBarrett_68 Nov 1, 2019 10:58 am

Certainly, she can use that card to pay the $29 guest fee.

Lomapaseo Nov 2, 2019 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31690478)
Certainly, she can use that card to pay the $29 guest fee.

What $29 guest fee ?

srockgibson Nov 2, 2019 10:49 pm

An Amex Platinum member can bring in up to two guests into the Delta SkyClub guest fee at $29 a person per visit. (Fee goes up to $39 a person per visit in January 2020).

Fes426 Nov 4, 2019 11:47 pm

Slightly off topic but couldn't find the right message board nor did I want to start a new thread. I am about to become GM on delta this week and flying them SFO-SEA-ICN-SFO in a few weeks. Ticket is Main Cabin but is it right to assume I get sky club access throughout my whole trip to ICN and back? Will I have access at both SFO and SEA?

diburning Nov 5, 2019 1:01 am

Yes, and yes. GM flying international in any cabin gets Sky Club access at the origin and all connecting points of that reservation.

flyerCO Nov 5, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Fes426 (Post 31702412)
Slightly off topic but couldn't find the right message board nor did I want to start a new thread. I am about to become GM on delta this week and flying them SFO-SEA-ICN-SFO in a few weeks. Ticket is Main Cabin but is it right to assume I get sky club access throughout my whole trip to ICN and back? Will I have access at both SFO and SEA?

You also get access at ICN to KE lounge as they're part of ST.

Fes426 Nov 5, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks for the response guys :)

entel Nov 6, 2019 1:40 pm

Elite plus flying to PUJ connecting ATL from SEA - will I get Sky Club access ?

I’m flying SEA - ATL - PUJ in December and I’m a Delta PM.

Will I get Sky Club access in SEA since the flight is to an international destination? Or will the stop over prevent that? When I fly to Asia I always have lounge access.