Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Inter-Europe flights bookable on delta.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inter-Europe flights bookable on delta.com?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prgboy
I am glad the discussion in this thread re-started nicely.

As for the benefits, this is what I can think of: If you are using Delta credit card, you earn miles for twice the amount spent with Delta. ($200 spent earns you 400 miles with a Delta booking, but only 200 when booked with KLM.)

I think the flier also earns MQDs for such a purchase in order to qualify for a status. (Typically an American who stays in Europe but does not have a residency… yet flies a lot within Europe.)

Sometimes, credit cards offer good bonuses but it must be spent with Delta; my AMEX now offers $75 back when you spend $250 directly with Delta.

I think of the benefits in miles collecting as well - if the flight had the DL flight number, all booking classes would earn 100 % bonus miles, not only a fraction as when flying on AF/KL code.
DL coded flights earn MQD/miles based on fare paid, not mileage flown. There's no such thing as 100% mileage earn on DL coded flights since they don't earn miles based mileage flown. A $100 base fare DL coded flight will earn 500 miles base (5x base fare) whether you are flying 500 miles or 2500 miles (assuming it is not a DL Basic Economy fare which earns no miles at all). Likewise, it will earn 100 MQDs regardless of distance flown. Assuming DL could sell these flights as DL coded flights (which they can't legally do due to cabotage regulations), whether or not there is a MQD/mileage earnings benefit to booking as DL coded flights vs. AF/KL coded would vary based on fare paid, fare class, and distance flown. You'd probably get some benefit from being able to book as DL coded due to short distances involved for intra-Europe. But on the cheapest fares, the differences will not be all that profound (and for DL BE fares, the advantage would go to AF/KL since DL coded BE fares earn no miles/MQD/MQMs).

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 5, 2023 at 4:34 am
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond - Marriott Titanium - Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Can you explain the benefit of booking a trip within Europe on delta.com versus on klm.com or airfrance.com? Thanks!
In my case I have one DL ticket for FCO-GVA (AZ flight) and one DL ticket for GVA-JFK. Delta is supposed to protect you if there is a delay and miss my connection in GVA even with separate tickets/reservations as long as they are both booked by DL.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL coded flights earn MQD/miles based on fare paid, not mileage flown. There's no such thing as 100% mileage earn on DL coded flights since they don't earn miles based mileage flown. A $100 base fare DL coded flight will earn 500 miles base (5x base fare) whether you are flying 500 miles or 2500 miles (assuming it is not a DL Basic Economy fare which earns no miles at all). Likewise, it will earn 100 MQDs regardless of distance flown. Assuming DL could sell these flights as DL coded flights (which they can't legally do due to cabotage regulations), whether or not there is a MQD/mileage earnings benefit to booking as DL coded flights vs. AF/KL coded would vary based on fare paid, fare class, and distance flown. You'd probably get some benefit from being able to book as DL coded due to short distances involved for intra-Europe. But on the cheapest fares, the differences will not be all that profound (and for DL BE fares, the advantage would go to AF/KL since DL coded BE fares earn no miles/MQD/MQMs).
Yes, that is correct. Sorry, I was mistaken and had thought I also would earn 500 bonus miles minimum on DL flights. It is 500 qualification miles.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Originally Posted by andifax
Delta is supposed to protect you if there is a delay and miss my connection in GVA even with separate tickets/reservations as long as they are both booked by DL.
Interesting - I thought Delta will protect you only if it is booked as one ticket. Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL doesn't sell (legally can't) fares wholy within EU. Thus needs be a KL/AF fare. This can only be done over the phone.

This is not true. There is no legal restriction to DL selling OA revenue tickets on their website or over the phone without DL space in the PNR. It can easily be done via ITA as outlined above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.