Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Voluntary downgrade seats to bring a pet - without reissuing the ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

So I bought a ticket BUD-CDG-JFK in PE (because absurdly, it was $300 less than coach).

DL 006 ticketed - Both flights on AF metal.

I knew we were bringing the mutt, but I figured - I'll just ask for a Main Cabin seat because he's not allowed in PE.
Naively imagined that it would be simple to just ask a phone agent to reassign us seat a few rows back.

Spent a good hour with the agent waiting for and then relaying messages back and forth with the partner desk, but finally got the ticket reissued with Main on the outbound and still in PE on the return, I was lucky to find, I'm told, that it was an even exchange. I didn't have to pay more for the privilege.

Does this align with anyone else's experience? Would it have been easier/doable on DL metal?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:00 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Hows the mutt getting back?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Hows the mutt getting back?
Is it possible the mutt has an H-1B visa?
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:58 am

Did you register the pet in advance? Most airlines require that as they only allow so many pets in each cabin (At least that is Delta's policy). Had you registered in advance, they should have told you pets were not allowed in Premium Economy.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Did you register the pet in advance? Most airlines require that as they only allow so many pets in each cabin (At least that is Delta's policy). Had you registered in advance, they should have told you pets were not allowed in Premium Economy.
Exactly this is how this works
When you call Delta to book the pet you will be assigned a seat in a part of the cabin that allows pets even if you are ticketed in a higher cabin. There will be no refund (or, in your case, supplement).
Old Aug 4, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Poster

So you've had this happen?
This is exactly what I expected to happen, but was told that they just couldn't do that - had to reissue the ticket in Y.

I'm thinking that maybe it's because it was subject to the terms of the super-efficient, seamless, metal-agnostic JV.

(and the boy doesn't need a visa - got him his EU passport and it's all been a breeze ever since!)

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Exactly this is how this works
When you call Delta to book the pet you will be assigned a seat in a part of the cabin that allows pets even if you are ticketed in a higher cabin. There will be no refund (or, in your case, supplement).
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:35 am

My money is on a complication due to booking through the JV. Then again, AF’s top FAQ about pets is how to fly with your horse. That can’t be a question that’s asked all that frequently, can it?

Delta’s website has under seat dimensions by plane and class. It was actually useful for picking routes and class of service when we brought our dog home.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
How come pets aren't allowed in premium economy? I was always told they weren't allowed in D1 due to the flat bed seats and no place to put the carrier (even though some other foreign carriers allow cats in a flat bed seat).

Premium select doesn't have flat be3ds and underseat storage. Also thought AF was pretty pet friendly compared to Delta.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeke3
AF’s top FAQ about pets is how to fly with your horse.
Easy. Get a horse named Pegasus.

Next question.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kale73
Easy. Get a horse named Pegasus.

Next question.
Better yet, get a plane named Pegasus
EAJuggalo and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:14 pm

I thought that the number of pets can be overridden by the captain (on Delta).
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:49 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by OHDL1
I thought that the number of pets can be overridden by the captain (on Delta).
So, are you going to call the captain at home before flight time?? That may be true, i have no idea, but it seems he would have other more important things to worry about before flight time. Plus, what if he said NO? Do you leave the pet at the airport with a GA?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I don't get it, but dems da rules - seems pretty standard across the industry actually.

I did find that La Compagnie is one of the few "premiums" that allow pets in cabin - and they have a note saying you can't recline fully if you have a pet.

But not sure I want to pay that much for those seats - although come to think of it, I guess with my gf (and the mutt) I'd mind less not having aisle access.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How come pets aren't allowed in premium economy? I was always told they weren't allowed in D1 due to the flat bed seats and no place to put the carrier (even though some other foreign carriers allow cats in a flat bed seat).

Premium select doesn't have flat be3ds and underseat storage. Also thought AF was pretty pet friendly compared to Delta.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:15 pm

So, are you going to call the captain at home before flight time?? That may be true, i have no idea, but it seems he would have other more important things to worry about before flight time. Plus, what if he said NO? Do you leave the pet at the airport with a GA?
No, you don't call the Captain at home....the total number of pets can be waived, at the Captain's discretion, before or during boarding. And No...you don't leave the pet with a GA. You try and find a work-around with the passenger...different flight, leaving the pet to be picked up by family, etc.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
So you've had this happen?
This is exactly what I expected to happen, but was told that they just couldn't do that - had to reissue the ticket in Y.
I'm thinking that maybe it's because it was subject to the terms of the super-efficient, seamless, metal-agnostic JV.
Yes. I was on a business class ticket and when I called in to book the pet I was reseated in economy but kept my ticket. Could use all business class amenities, even had 'business' printed on the BP, just the seat was 14G on the 767,.
This was the return leg of a trip, though, and shortly before travel. I'd HUCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.