Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Inter-Europe flights bookable on delta.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold

I see that I can search for award flights within Europe (AMS-BCN) but if I try to search it in Money it says no flights available.

So can you not book flights in Europe with cash using delta’s website?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I see that I can search for award flights within Europe (AMS-BCN) but if I try to search it in Money it says no flights available.

So can you not book flights in Europe with cash using delta’s website?
No. You can call, but online is only going to sell DL fares. Anything intra-Europe would need to be a KLM/AF fare.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. You can call, but online is only going to sell DL fares. Anything intra-Europe would need to be a KLM/AF fare.
Thanks, I was thinking it was something along those lines.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: DL PM
i sometimes use ita matrix and the powertools scripts to buy intra-europe flights on delta.com w/out having to call in (to use a voucher or gift card)
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
In December 2013, I booked a round trip CPH-AMS-PRG on delta.com (a 006 ticket).

I would love to book intra-Europe flights on Delta.com (since I enjoy credit card benefits when booking there) but now it does not seem to be possible -- unless I pay with miles.

I thought perhaps at least flights between AMS and CDG could be code-shared, but I have not found any bookable.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by prgboy
In December 2013, I booked a round trip CPH-AMS-PRG on delta.com (a 006 ticket).

I would love to book intra-Europe flights on Delta.com (since I enjoy credit card benefits when booking there) but now it does not seem to be possible -- unless I pay with miles.

I thought perhaps at least flights between AMS and CDG could be code-shared, but I have not found any bookable.
DL doesn't sell (legally can't) fares wholy within EU. Thus needs be a KL/AF fare. This can only be done over the phone.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by prgboy

I flew AMS-CPH a few weeks ago and booked it on the KLM website. I was pleasantly surprised to see the flight credited to my SkyMiles account within a day or two of the trip. I also would have preferred to book via DL for the cc benefits but it was an inexpensive flight, so not really that big a deal, IMHO.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
FWIW, using skymiles for intra Europe is a great deal. The 10k one way Main redemptions on KL push you into the highest main fare class where you get a free checked bag, Skypriority benefits etc.

I used 10k to fly BER-AMS-EDI. The cash equivalent was almost $450 to have those benefits, the seat assignment, etc. Used the miles, got everything included.
prgboy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
FWIW, using skymiles for intra Europe is a great deal. The 10k one way Main redemptions on KL push you into the highest main fare class where you get a free checked bag, Skypriority benefits etc. ...
where was this info a few months ago when I was booking FRA-AMS-BIO and back? not that I'll really miss the 60k RDM (4x25k for J vs 4x10k for Y) or the extra ~€100 for taxes and fees on the J tix, but would have been nice to know there *might* have been other flight options
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Are there known limitations of where you can book through/out of for SM reward tickets? I looked up that there are Air France/KLM tickets from Nice to Ibiza for relatively cheap (300-400) next week from Wednesday to Friday, however a search on Deltas site pulls up no options available. Would rather use my Skymiles as I have so many from work and never burn them.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by pt360
Are there known limitations of where you can book through/out of for SM reward tickets? I looked up that there are Air France/KLM tickets from Nice to Ibiza for relatively cheap (300-400) next week from Wednesday to Friday, however a search on Deltas site pulls up no options available. Would rather use my Skymiles as I have so many from work and never burn them.
They are inventory restricted availability. So, unlike something on DL metal where if there are revenue tickets available, there will be mileage seats available, the proper booking class must have been released by KL or AF. Basically, if it doesn't show up when looking on DL.com, there is no longer availability to use skymiles.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
into the highest main fare class where you get a free checked bag, Skypriority benefits etc.
I am trying dummy booking and see nothing like this. It gives me “Economy” and “Europe Economy”, no booking class. And does not show any bag allowance or Priority.

Also, it is a pity you won’t earn and MQMs for such a flight (as opposed to a flight in the US booked on delta.com).

And also no 15% discount in the amount of miles when booking with AMEX (as it is not a Delta operated flight).

I am not saying it is a bad value. In fact I will probably use it one day. Thanks for pointing this out!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond - Marriott Titanium - Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I flew AMS-CPH a few weeks ago and booked it on the KLM website. I was pleasantly surprised to see the flight credited to my SkyMiles account within a day or two of the trip. I also would have preferred to book via DL for the cc benefits but it was an inexpensive flight, so not really that big a deal, IMHO.

You can book intra-European revenue tickets without issues with Delta over the phone, but some agents don’t know how to properly search or simply don’t want to search and make up a story that they can only sell flights that touch the US… in such case you have to HUCA.

I was even able to book last week FCO-GVA marketed/operated by AZ, but it was a pain to find the agent who knew where to search…

if it can help I asked the last agent how I can describe it to the ones who cannot find anything. She told me to tell them to open the screen for “other airlines booking” and they need to specifically add the airline code in the search (in my case AZ). If they don’t add the airline code, it won’t show all the results… hope this would be enough for them to know where to look…
SUPERTRAVEL and prgboy like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Can you explain the benefit of booking a trip within Europe on delta.com versus on klm.com or airfrance.com? Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob
Can you explain the benefit of booking a trip within Europe on delta.com versus on klm.com or airfrance.com? Thanks!
I am glad the discussion in this thread re-started nicely.

As for the benefits, this is what I can think of: If you are using Delta credit card, you earn miles for twice the amount spent with Delta. ($200 spent earns you 400 miles with a Delta booking, but only 200 when booked with KLM.)

I think the flier also earns MQDs for such a purchase in order to qualify for a status. (Typically an American who stays in Europe but does not have a residency… yet flies a lot within Europe.)

Sometimes, credit cards offer good bonuses but it must be spent with Delta; my AMEX now offers $75 back when you spend $250 directly with Delta.

I think of the benefits in miles collecting as well - if the flight had the DL flight number, all booking classes would earn 100 % bonus miles, not only a fraction as when flying on AF/KL code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.