Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wlau
SkyClub will allow it... but you will have to clear T1 security to access the SC. If you don't have a boarding pass, you will need to get it from the international terminal.
And there's no walkway from International to T1, so you'll have to take the airtrain.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Kacee
And there's no walkway from International to T1, so you'll have to take the airtrain.
Note that there is AirTrain maintenance going on in the evenings, so you might have to take a bus or ride in the "wrong" direction depending on day of week:

SFO AirTrain evening/nighttime closures through mid-August
Old May 29, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zorak
Note that there is AirTrain maintenance going on in the evenings, so you might have to take a bus or ride in the "wrong" direction depending on day of week:

SFO AirTrain evening/nighttime closures through mid-August
Airtrain was totally shut down tonight. And SFO doesn't have buses between terminals. So you have to walk. From International to T1, that's a huge hassle, because you either have to make a loop all the way around through T3 and T2, or you go to T3 and cut across the parking lot.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Airtrain was totally shut down tonight. And SFO doesn't have buses between terminals. So you have to walk.
If you click through the link in the referenced post, they are running shuttle buses as a stopgap/replacement during periods where the AirTrain is down.

https://www.flysfo.com/airtrain-alert

There are signs and PA announcements (I just arrived tonight not too long ago)
Old May 30, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
If you click through the link in the referenced post, they are running shuttle buses as a stopgap/replacement during periods where the AirTrain is down.

https://www.flysfo.com/airtrain-alert
That is only to the car rental facility. The signs in the airport specifically say "walk" if you want to go between terminals.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL GM
That is only to the car rental facility. The signs in the airport specifically say "walk" if you want to go between terminals.
I made the connection from DL to CI last week and they were running buses. I asked an airport employee if it would be quicker to walk from T1 to the International Terminal, and they told me there's construction so you would have to go the long way (counter clockwise past T2 and T3) instead of walking clockwise to the International Terminal. We took the bus instead.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:23 pm

I admit I didn't look closely or take the shuttle myself and the wording on the web site is strange. It says "The Airport will operate buses between the Rental Car Center and Terminals" which certainly could be interpreted to mean to the RCC only.

But it also says "Busses will pick-up and drop-off on the departures level, center island of all terminals" and it would be pretty weird for them to run 4 separate busses from each terminal to the RCC only...

Originally Posted by yaychemistry
I made the connection from DL to CI last week and they were running buses. I asked an airport employee if it would be quicker to walk from T1 to the International Terminal, and they told me there's construction so you would have to go the long way (counter clockwise past T2 and T3) instead of walking clockwise to the International Terminal. We took the bus instead.
Cool, thanks for confirming!
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:45 am

Has anyone had any luck with advance exit row seat assignments as a Delta elite? (I'm Diamond/STE+) I can select them online but it will cost about $150 on an already pricey ticket (M fare). I called China Airlines (US-based 800 #). They said they could put me in an exit row on my BKK > TPE segment, but I later discovered it was a bulkhead middle section which didn't have any extra leg room. I switched back. On the TPE > JFK segment, they couldn't help at all.

Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Piling on the questions - at SEA do I drop by the checkin counters at DL or AS? My first segment from SEA to SFO is on AS.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dave456
Has anyone had any luck with advance exit row seat assignments as a Delta elite? (I'm Diamond/STE+) I can select them online but it will cost about $150 on an already pricey ticket (M fare). I called China Airlines (US-based 800 #). They said they could put me in an exit row on my BKK > TPE segment, but I later discovered it was a bulkhead middle section which didn't have any extra leg room. I switched back. On the TPE > JFK segment, they couldn't help at all.

Thanks.
Did you purchase through Delta?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ab2013
Piling on the questions - at SEA do I drop by the checkin counters at DL or AS? My first segment from SEA to SFO is on AS.
AS. Always check in with the operating airline of your first flight.
BenA likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by eneq
Did you purchase through Delta?
Sorry, should have clarified that. No. Booked directly through China Airlines web site. From what I can tell, Delta doesn't really code share or sell many CI flights directly anymore (at least via web).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Interesting thread and I've been thinking about trying out CI for a very long time. I'm sort of dying to try out the A350. I keep reading that it's a much better plane than the 787, which is what I've been mostly flying in with AC. It's pretty disappointing that J only gets 100% MQM. Guess DL doesn't really like CI.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by lsquare
Interesting thread and I've been thinking about trying out CI for a very long time. I'm sort of dying to try out the A350. I keep reading that it's a much better plane than the 787, which is what I've been mostly flying in with AC. It's pretty disappointing that J only gets 100% MQM. Guess DL doesn't really like CI.
CI's A350 is an awesome plane. The J cabin is beautiful IMO. Also, the Y+ cabin is more spacious than most because CI chose a 2-3-2 layout instead of the usual 2-4-2. Unfortunately, CI only flies the A350 to YVR right now. If you get the chance to fly on it, I would recommend it. CI service is great, and I haven't had a bad experience with them yet.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by eneq
CI's A350 is an awesome plane. The J cabin is beautiful IMO. Also, the Y+ cabin is more spacious than most because CI chose a 2-3-2 layout instead of the usual 2-4-2. Unfortunately, CI only flies the A350 to YVR right now. If you get the chance to fly on it, I would recommend it. CI service is great, and I haven't had a bad experience with them yet.
As a DL Plat, what's your experience in Y and Y+ like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.