Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO AirTrain evening/nighttime closures through mid-August

SFO AirTrain evening/nighttime closures through mid-August

Old May 14, 18, 9:26 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 10,420
SFO AirTrain evening/nighttime closures through mid-August

Received an email from UA, and subsequently looked up this notice at flysfo:

https://www.flysfo.com/airtrain-alert

Overnight closures are planned from May 14, 2018 through mid-August with the exception of Memorial Day weekend (May 24th through May 28th).

[...]

From Monday through Friday, the AirTrain will be taken out of service from 8:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m.
The Airport will operate buses between the Rental Car Center and Terminals. [...]

On Saturdays and Sundays, the AirTrain will operate in an alternate mode from 10:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m.
Guests may continue to ride the trains during this period; however, only one line may be operational and may travel in a direction that is different from normal operations. Please refer to the station displays and listen to the audio messages for detailed information. In some cases, it may be quicker to walk to your destination.

Signs will be placed throughout the terminals directing guests to the bus pick-up locations and Airport Ambassadors will be available to assist. Guests are encouraged to allow extra time during the closures. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to build for the future.
Zorak is online now  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:33 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY
Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 557
Has the AirTrain work been completed? There are no further updates on SFO site. I may have a 6am flight out of SFO in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out my options if I arrive at the airport to drop off my rental car at 4:30am.
Smaug is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:59 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,611
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Has the AirTrain work been completed? There are no further updates on SFO site. I may have a 6am flight out of SFO in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out my options if I arrive at the airport to drop off my rental car at 4:30am.
Tuesday night it was shut with signs up all over. Saturday night I didn't notice any signage, but it may have been operating as described in the memo.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:35 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,351
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Tuesday night it was shut with signs up all over. Saturday night I didn't notice any signage, but it may have been operating as described in the memo.
Do they run shuttle buses to/from the rental center when that happens?
dhuey is online now  
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:05 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,611
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Do they run shuttle buses to/from the rental center when that happens?
Yes, and as I recall, you board inter-terminal buses at the same place. The only reason I paid attention was that I arrived quite early last week and decided to use the AX lounge while flying DL, and there's no walking way through on the west side anymore. I walked 1>2>3 and timed it as approximately 20 minutes from checking the flight status board at DL until I was through TSA Pre and at the AX lounge in 3. I cut through the parking lot on the return - perhaps slightly less time (although there was no security line @ 1).
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:18 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,351
My guess is that they would run the buses with roughly the same frequency as the trains. Maybe the OP should tack on a 15-minute cushion to be on the safe side.
dhuey is online now  
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:46 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,936
Yes, the buses are still in use, although from what I've seen it does vary night to night.

Having caught them about 5 times now from the terminal to the rental car center I'd say that the buses run a little less frequent than the trains (although just like the train sometimes you get lucky, such as last Thursday when there was a bus waiting as I walked up to the bus stop!), and the trip is normally a little longer - especially from Terminals 1/2/3 as they do those terminals first, and then loop all the way back around to the international terminal before heading off to the rental car center.

I haven't caught the bus in the opposite direction, but obviously they run with about the same frequency in both directions as they are just on a loop.

At the rental car center they depart from outside, ground floor, on the airport end of the building (there are signs pointing you in the right direction). At the airport, they pick up in the same spot as the SFO long term parking buses (ie, the official SFO long term parking, which pickup in a different area to the 3rd party ones like ParkSFO)
docbert is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:12 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold
Posts: 805
So as a follow on to this old thread, when they say that:
  • Monday, Thursday and Friday (11/26, 11/29 and 11/30) the Red Line service will be suspended from at 6:00 p.m. until the full closure at 10:00 p.m. The Blue Line will be serving all stations during this period
Does that mean that if you are arriving on BART, you have to go to West Field Road and then hop a train going back toward Garage A? Wondering if anyone experienced this particular window. I'm trying to get to T1, so I'm debating doing that or walking over to A and catching the Blue Line from there. Flying really light so getting around is not too big a deal. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
FlyingBear is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:55 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 10,420
Originally Posted by FlyingBear View Post
So as a follow on to this old thread, when they say that:
  • Monday, Thursday and Friday (11/26, 11/29 and 11/30) the Red Line service will be suspended from at 6:00 p.m. until the full closure at 10:00 p.m. The Blue Line will be serving all stations during this period
Does that mean that if you are arriving on BART, you have to go to West Field Road and then hop a train going back toward Garage A? Wondering if anyone experienced this particular window. I'm trying to get to T1, so I'm debating doing that or walking over to A and catching the Blue Line from there. Flying really light so getting around is not too big a deal. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
I went from the East Bay to Millbrae on Monday night, so though I didn't get off at SFO, I did hear them make an announcement about shuttle buses. Walking to A and blue line also sounds viable, or if you have time and/or are traveling light, just walk the long way around G -> 3 -> 2 -> 1.
Zorak is online now  
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,936
Originally Posted by FlyingBear View Post
Does that mean that if you are arriving on BART, you have to go to West Field Road and then hop a train going back toward Garage A? Wondering if anyone experienced this particular window. I'm trying to get to T1, so I'm debating doing that or walking over to A and catching the Blue Line from there. Flying really light so getting around is not too big a deal. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
The plan is that you get on at Bart/Garage G. The train then goes Westfield road, rental car center, and then back to Westfield road, Garage A, Intl A, T1, T2, T3, Intl G. You are NOT supposed to get off at Westfield road, and doing so would require you to go all the way down to street level, back up to the platform, and then probably get on the exact same train you got off on the return trip!

Getting off BART at the Intl-G end of the platform (ie, the front of the train) and then walking over to Intl-A through the checkin area would be a much better/faster option. Alternatively just walk over to Intl-A, and then rather than going up the escalator/lift to the Airtrain platform, just go DOWN and continue walking to T1.
docbert is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 9:52 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold
Posts: 805
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
TYou are NOT supposed to get off at Westfield road, and doing so would require you to go all the way down to street level, back up to the platform, and then probably get on the exact same train you got off on the return trip!
...
Alternatively just walk over to Intl-A, and then rather than going up the escalator/lift to the Airtrain platform, just go DOWN and continue walking to T1.
Thanks for the feedback Zorak and docbert. I've never been to Westfield or the Rental Car Center, so that's good intel. I'll just hike over to A. Wanted to double check that the construction does not obstruct the ability to walk over from A to 1. It's been quite some time since I've been in T1.
FlyingBear is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 9:55 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,611
Originally Posted by FlyingBear View Post
Thanks for the feedback Zorak and docbert. I've never been to Westfield or the Rental Car Center, so that's good intel. I'll just hike over to A. Wanted to double check that the construction does not obstruct the ability to walk over from A to 1. It's been quite some time since I've been in T1.
You cannot currently walk between A and T1. Last time I needed to go from 3 to 1, I cut through the parking lot.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:08 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold
Posts: 805
Talking

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
You cannot currently walk between A and T1. Last time I needed to go from 3 to 1, I cut through the parking lot.
LOL, reminds me of getting off the Torrance Transit 3 at LAX and cutting from T1 over to T7. I'll just pop on up to the AirTrain at A then. Kind of glad I stumbled onto this warning and know to add a bit more time. First go on Frontier too, so this should be an interesting flight out

Last edited by FlyingBear; Nov 29, 18 at 11:04 pm
FlyingBear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread