Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The OP has two hours. He must get from T2 to the International terminal, check in (CI requires a new check-in at SFO even with a continuing BP). clear TSA and get to the gate.

WIth a 1 hr delay (always possible) he will be very nervous.

Actually AS operates out of International Terminal at SFO! If that happens, he should make it. The luggage should be tagged to go on CI flight it the entire flight was ticketed by AS or CI, but yeah this is roll of dice.

Delta customer service, even Diamond Medallion line, sucks big times these days, so I generally avoid complicated ticket as much as possible because most agents are too simple minded to figure out anything half complex.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by wlau
Actually AS operates out of International Terminal at SFO!
AS moved to T2 after merging with VX. Although FlySFO still says "Alaska Airlines is co-located in Terminal 2 D Gates and the International Terminal A Gates" I don't think the latter has been true for a while; certainly the flight info page filtered for AS operated flights only shows D gates (and one or two C gates)
ab2013 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Zorak
AS moved to T2 after merging with VX. Although FlySFO still says "Alaska Airlines is co-located in Terminal 2 D Gates and the International Terminal A Gates" I don't think the latter has been true for a while; certainly the flight info page filtered for AS operated flights only shows D gates (and one or two C gates)
Yup - arrived at D gates - had to hop on AirTrain over to the International terminal, separately check in with CI and clear TSA again. Really not a seamless checkin experience, and quite dicey. I got on board with 5 mins left to spare with the agents yelling at me to hurry from the check in desk all the way to the gate.

Mileage credits showed up on DL account about 2 days after travel completed.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The OP has two hours. He must get from T2 to the International terminal, check in (CI requires a new check-in at SFO even with a continuing BP). clear TSA and get to the gate.

WIth a 1 hr delay (always possible) he will be very nervous.
If one has a BP, they can go through security and approach the gate agent. You don't have to do it at checkin counter.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If one has a BP, they can go through security and approach the gate agent. You don't have to do it at checkin counter.
Apparently if one travels on or connects from AS on the same itinerary, one does not get BPs. My checkin agent at AS said “Sorry we don’t have access to their (CI’s) systems”

I hope this would be different if one is connecting from a DL flight because DL technically is (very distant) SkyTeam buddies with CI

Last edited by ab2013; Dec 16, 2019 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by ab2013
Mileage credits showed up on DL account about 2 days after travel completed.
Speaking of which, Delta has an issue posting DL-coded CI-operated codeshare flight. All my direct CI flights post within 2 days but DL-coded flight stuck in Q status forever. Tried to call in and they tell you to wait and wait and wait some more. You have a lot of mindless agents keeping saying you have to wait 10 days for CI to provide the data then when that is over, they will you to wait another 10 days. Recent conversation went like this -->

Mindless Delta Agent -> "We are waiting on China Airlines to send us the data about the flight and you need to wait another 10 days..."
Me-> "No! You already have the data, because you have an entry showing Q status. If you didn't have the data, how do you know if I took the flight or not?"
Mindless Delta Agent -> "But sir, we are waiting on the mileage information so we know how much to credit you."
Me->"No! You sold the flight, and it credits per Delta rules as in MQD and MQM, based on Delta base and elite status."
Mindless Delta Agent -> "But sir, we are waiting on them to give us the data."
Me->"No! You have the data of completion of this flight, since you have the entry of the flight and it's already progressed into Q status, meaning I took the flight. The MQM, MQD, MQS are all credited per Delta rules and calculations. How would China Airline know if I am a Platinum or Diamond or how would they know how much Delta sold that segment for?"
Mindless Delta Agent -> "Ugh....Ugh... "
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

Hi all,

I am a Delta PM traveling on a CI flight (purchased as a CI flight on Expedia) which looks to be oversold in Economy from TPE-HNL on 1/1 (Flight# CI2) It looks like there are quite a few seats in Business for sale but none for sale in PE or Economy. Any tips on trying for an upgrade? I know they give their loyalty members priority.

I also saw that some people have asked to sit in J with Y service. Is that also common? I am traveling with my mother on the same reservation (she has no status).

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
A few updates to the info above. I flew ATL to SFO to TPE. Had 4 hours to kill in SFO. While the DL app did generate a CI boarding pass it did not show precheck.

I killed an hour at the excellent SFO sky club and then to the train over to the international terminal. Note that you can’t walk right now thanks to construction.

Checked in with CI which was very efficient and was given a new BP with TSAPRE on it and a CI lounge invite. The lounge is small, crowded and hot. I tried to move to the AF lounge downstairs but was turned away even though it is listed as a Priority Pass lounge. In truth it looked not much better.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by seattleBH
I killed an hour at the excellent SFO sky club and then to the train over to the international terminal. Note that you can’t walk right now thanks to construction.
Technically, you *can* walk, just the long way around

Originally Posted by seattleBH
Checked in with CI which was very efficient and was given a new BP with TSAPRE on it and a CI lounge invite. The lounge is small, crowded and hot. I tried to move to the AF lounge downstairs but was turned away even though it is listed as a Priority Pass lounge. In truth it looked not much better.
The CI lounge is indeed pretty sad -- you could probably have pressed for access to the AFKL lounge on the basis of being a DM (in your FT profile) traveling on an international SkyTeam itinerary, although the time that I did this they *were* accepting PP (I think it's limited hours? and/or things may have changed since my visit, which was a while ago) and wanted to run my PP card anyway (maybe they get paid more that way?)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:47 am

2020 Experience Flying CI as a Delta Elite

Travelling as Sky Team Elite+ (Diamond). During a multi-stop Asia visit before and after New Years, I flew China Airlines twice. First was from Tokyo (NRT) to Taipei (few days before Jan 1), second from Bangkok to New York (JFK) via Taipei (a week into the New Year). On the flight from Tokyo, I had paid a small amount ($30) to upgrade to choice seats which in this case were the long haul premium economy seats (the fare was close to full fare already). There appeared to be some recognition of status by name and by asking me if I needed anything additional prior to takeoff.

On the second trip from Bangkok, beyond mediocre lounge access and sky priority lines, there was no real recognition. I had asked in advance of the flight and at airport check in if I could get an exit row, but they wanted to charge about $150 dollars more for it, even at the airport. Ticket was already M class and about $950 one way. There wasn't any sort of personalized welcome on either segment (which I had always received in the past on CI). The TPE to JFK segment was more or less full in economy and it was a packed 10 across 777 configuration. Fortunately I had an aisle with a small framed neighbor so the flight wasn't unpleasant. Nonetheless, I'd say long haul economy service on Delta is superior (irrespective of status).

I wouldn't go out of my way to fly CI again, which is a different opinion from last time I flew them a few years back. I find Skyteam airlines generally try to give better seats to elites from other Skyteam airlines, even if it's not a published benefit. I remember getting excellent exit row seats on Korean a year or two ago. Doesn't seem like CI cares to do that anymore, and from other postings seams like they don't do it for their own elites. I can definitely see how this might drive their own elites away and towards EVA. They might want to rethink their new policies.

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dave456

I wouldn't go out of my way to fly CI again, which is a different opinion from last time I flew them a few years back. I find Skyteam airlines generally try to give better seats to elites from other Skyteam airlines, even if it's not a published benefit. I remember getting excellent exit row seats on Korean a year or two ago. Doesn't seem like CI cares to do that anymore, and from other postings seams like they don't do it for their own elites. I can definitely see how this might drive their own elites away and towards EVA. They might want to rethink their new policies.

Dave
1. KE (in addition to MU) has an equity partnership with DL
2. CI does not
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dave456
Travelling as Sky Team Elite+ (Diamond). During a multi-stop Asia visit before and after New Years, I flew China Airlines twice. First was from Tokyo (NRT) to Taipei (few days before Jan 1), second from Bangkok to New York (JFK) via Taipei (a week into the New Year). On the flight from Tokyo, I had paid a small amount ($30) to upgrade to choice seats which in this case were the long haul premium economy seats (the fare was close to full fare already). There appeared to be some recognition of status by name and by asking me if I needed anything additional prior to takeoff.

On the second trip from Bangkok, beyond mediocre lounge access and sky priority lines, there was no real recognition. I had asked in advance of the flight and at airport check in if I could get an exit row, but they wanted to charge about $150 dollars more for it, even at the airport. Ticket was already M class and about $950 one way. There wasn't any sort of personalized welcome on either segment (which I had always received in the past on CI). The TPE to JFK segment was more or less full in economy and it was a packed 10 across 777 configuration. Fortunately I had an aisle with a small framed neighbor so the flight wasn't unpleasant. Nonetheless, I'd say long haul economy service on Delta is superior (irrespective of status).

Dave
EVA has it's own created mess to deal with still. I know a number of EVA passenger who flew CI for first time last year . (Due to EVA cancelling flights) Theyve not looked back since that first trip paid for by EVA on CI.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:42 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I had my first PE flights on CI this year from LAX-TPE-BKK and return and really enjoyed it.

The seat has a hard back so no annoying people leaning back into you and your space (VS take note!!). Nice storage spaces for PE, lots of different spots for beverages that are effective and out of the way. I love the persimmon wood decor. The scent in the bathroom is refreshing and clearly it's maintained by the FA regularly since it's always been clean and wiped up.

Miles posted 4 days after my departure from LAX and 3 days after departure from BKK.

The service overall was good. The purser on each flight did come and politely introduce themselves, in a very warm but also non-intrusive way. They didn't specifically state our Delta status but that made it specifically more natural in a way.

The lounges are fine, not spectacular. The TPE one is best and has a decent selection of hot food and I do like the made to order noodle bar.

I can't wait to be back in biz in June to TPE, loved it all around the past 3 other trips in biz. Great champagne, nice seats, great service. Never did EVA but my mom doesn't love them (she's really picky) but only has flown in PE with them (IAH hostage).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I had my first PE flights on CI this year from LAX-TPE-BKK and return and really enjoyed it.

The seat has a hard back so no annoying people leaning back into you and your space (VS take note!!). Nice storage spaces for PE, lots of different spots for beverages that are effective and out of the way. I love the persimmon wood decor. The scent in the bathroom is refreshing and clearly it's maintained by the FA regularly since it's always been clean and wiped up.

Miles posted 4 days after my departure from LAX and 3 days after departure from BKK.

The service overall was good. The purser on each flight did come and politely introduce themselves, in a very warm but also non-intrusive way. They didn't specifically state our Delta status but that made it specifically more natural in a way.

The lounges are fine, not spectacular. The TPE one is best and has a decent selection of hot food and I do like the made to order noodle bar.

I can't wait to be back in biz in June to TPE, loved it all around the past 3 other trips in biz. Great champagne, nice seats, great service. Never did EVA but my mom doesn't love them (she's really picky) but only has flown in PE with them (IAH hostage).
I've now flown CI in all three classes (not counting F since it only exists on the 747), and I've thoroughly enjoyed each one. The service is efficient but not overly friendly (isn't that big of a deal), the planes are new and well-maintained, and they have both Kavalan and Johnnie Walker Blue in J! I just wish the MQM earning was more than 100%.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by eneq
I've now flown CI in all three classes (not counting F since it only exists on the 747), and I've thoroughly enjoyed each one. The service is efficient but not overly friendly (isn't that big of a deal), the planes are new and well-maintained, and they have both Kavalan and Johnnie Walker Blue in J! I just wish the MQM earning was more than 100%.
I agree. MQM accrual on CI is brutal. I wish DL and CI would do something about it. Maybe DL can invest in CI...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.