Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
I agree. MQM accrual on CI is brutal. I wish DL and CI would do something about it. Maybe DL can invest in CI...
Ed Bastian has made it clear that he only cares about the team within the team, and CI isn't part of that clique.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Ed Bastian has made it clear that he only cares about the team within the team, and CI isn't part of that clique.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:50 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
It seems they put their eggs in the mainland China basket (which they may now be regretting). In any case, I believe there was speculation that a closer partnership with CI might anger mainland Chinese authorities.

I would love to see a stronger CI partnership as I think they are a really nice airline.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TTT
It seems they put their eggs in the mainland China basket (which they may now be regretting). In any case, I believe there was speculation that a closer partnership with CI might anger mainland Chinese authorities.

I would love to see a stronger CI partnership as I think they are a really nice airline.
They put half of their eggs in the Korea basket. Between KE and MU, DL flyers can reach almost all non Taiwan CI destinations. Don't you think having 4 kids at the table might result in each getting disappointingly small pieces of cake? Did you notice how CZ simply got up and left?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:01 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
They put half of their eggs in the Korea basket. Between KE and MU, DL flyers can reach almost all non Taiwan CI destinations. Don't you think having 4 kids at the table might result in each getting disappointingly small pieces of cake? Did you notice how CZ simply got up and left?
Fair point. I hope CI doesn't get up an leave though.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eneq
I've now flown CI in all three classes (not counting F since it only exists on the 747), and I've thoroughly enjoyed each one. The service is efficient but not overly friendly (isn't that big of a deal), the planes are new and well-maintained, and they have both Kavalan and Johnnie Walker Blue in J! I just wish the MQM earning was more than 100%.
I thought F didnt exist anymore. The seats are still there, but I thought they were given to full fare J/STE+ fliers.

I did fly in F on CI back when 747 flew to LAX. I got rebooked by DL from MNL-NRT-LAX when MNL-NRT cancelled due to Typhoon. Only F was available on the LAX flight so ended up in it. It really wasnt any different from business except seats were lay flat and all aisle access (J back then wasnt either of those things on most CI aircraft)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
Dave, did your bookings with CI automatically code your Sky Team Elite+ status? I recently booked a cash fare on CI from HIJ to TPE. I'm not seeing any mention of E+ status or Skypriority when checking my booking on the CI website (I did enter my DL SM # when booking). I'm mainly concerned about the baggage allowance and seat selection benefits that DL claims E+ members receive when flying on Sky Team airlines. I called the folks at DL and they claim I have to show my Platinum Medallion/E+ card at the airport at check-in to receive Sky Priority. Really hoping it will automatically code on the boarding pass...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jc1194
Dave, did your bookings with CI automatically code your Sky Team Elite+ status? I recently booked a cash fare on CI from HIJ to TPE. I'm not seeing any mention of E+ status or Skypriority when checking my booking on the CI website (I did enter my DL SM # when booking). I'm mainly concerned about the baggage allowance and seat selection benefits that DL claims E+ members receive when flying on Sky Team airlines. I called the folks at DL and they claim I have to show my Platinum Medallion/E+ card at the airport at check-in to receive Sky Priority. Really hoping it will automatically code on the boarding pass...
CI does do ST E+ recognition. I think it didn't show either on printed or mobile boarding pass, but shows on the other...
jc1194 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:30 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I had not issues with my ST+ on all my CI flights (via DL status). CI is very efficient so I wouldn't worry.
jc1194 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I had not issues with my ST+ on all my CI flights (via DL status). CI is very efficient so I wouldn't worry.
The only issue with CI is that through check-in often doesn't work IF you check in at the airport. They will only print your first flight boarding pass and make you get the second one at TPE. Way to bypass that is to do OLCI and print and/or save your mobile boarding pass. Sometimes that may only give your connecting, but not first, flight boarding pass - that is, the opposite of airport checkin. Then when you check in at the airport you have both.

So, I'd just advise doing OLCI and printing and saving mobile boarding pass(es) first, before you head to the airport (and then in person check-in there if needed due to bags or needing the first flight BP), to avoid the hassle of having it printed in TPE for the connecting flight, if the origin airport won't print it for you and claims they can't check you through (though you are already so checked in, of course).
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I booked a SkyMiles award ticket for a regional TPE-HND award ticket in Y. Does CI offer any elite access to exit row seats (or even premium economy seats) on A350s for ST Elite+ with Delta? or is the only benefit lounge access and potential onboard service perks? Do we get an extra carry-on allowance? I'll have a rollaboard and a briefcase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.