Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'd hafto say that, this could at least be bearable for me, if, they'd offer 2 GUCs as a PM Choice Benefit.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:43 pm

Folks, Delta just wants to have as few comp upgrades as possible. That's what this is all about. Call it the Hauenstein factor.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:45 pm
bzn

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'd hafto say that, this could at least be bearable for me, if, they'd offer 2 GUCs as a PM Choice Benefit.
LOL. That’ll be the day...

Not like the GUCs are useable given the lack of availability or unless you’re willing to fly standby and risk coach on long haul. Not worth it.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by outoftown
Thank you for being a Diamond Medallion® Member and for your continued loyalty. We are always looking for ways to improve the Medallion experience by listening to your feedback.

To ensure our most well-traveled Members like you can enjoy all the benefits of Diamond, a change is being made to how you qualify for 2019 Diamond Medallion Status. Based on your qualification history, we expect that this change will improve your overall Diamond Medallion experience because there will be fewer Diamond Medallion Members.

I, for one, am looking forward to more upgrades. Tired of being #1 on the UG list and FC is full. Also looking forward to less crowded SCs.

Disclaimer - former AMEX employee
Haha you think! Your upgrade percentages won't improve. Just watch. Delta will continue to further push paid F and part of their thinking is a percentage of displaced DM's will end up paying with cash or miles for many more upgrades going forward vs hoping for upgrade today.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:52 pm

Anyone feel free to chime in...what's the best non-DL AMEX card for travel rewards? I am going to cancel my DL affiliated cards but have huge value in my AMEX relationship.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I wonder if its me they are trying to get rid of....
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:07 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bzn
LOL. That’ll be the day...

Not like the GUCs are useable given the lack of availability or unless you’re willing to fly standby and risk coach on long haul. Not worth it.
To date, I have ALWAYS been able to confirm GUC UGs in advance. Being that all of my travel is for pleasure, I'm usually EXTREMELY flexible.

Originally Posted by 355F1
I wonder if its me they are trying to get rid of....
You and me, both!

Where can we meet to discuss?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by n7371f
Anyone feel free to chime in...what's the best non-DL AMEX card for travel rewards? I am going to cancel my DL affiliated cards but have huge value in my AMEX relationship.
If you have a lot of travel charges the Chase Saphire reserve is great. They used to have a 100K point sign up bonus if you charged $4K in I believe the first three months but I think it's down to only 50K points and a point is worth 1.5 cents in travel if you book on the chase portal.

The annual fee if $450 but you get a $300 credit for travel charges so it comes out to $150 net. It's only 1 point per regular purchase but restaurants and travel get 3 points/$ so that's 4.5 cents for every dollar for travel and the travel category is very generous, things like parking and uber rides count as travel.

You also get the GE or Precheck fee reimbursed and priority pass and pretty generous rental car protection. After I meet my $220K spend on my delta cards those go in a drawer till January 1 and my csr card gets used for Delta purchases.

I wonder if chase will bring back the 100K signup bonus and Chase and Citi will be offering generous signup bonuses targeted to Delta customers with this new announcement.

The other nice thing is Visa is accepted at a LOT more places than Am Ex
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
Remember that FT is a very thin, very skewed slice of the overall population.
BUT, the people in my department (about 18 DMs) are up in arms on this despite the fact that every single one of them make enough MQDs. I am still trying to convince them that this is a good thing. Some of them are a little slow to comprehend this.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Haha you think! Your upgrade percentages won't improve. Just watch. Delta will continue to further push paid F and part of their thinking is a percentage of displaced DM's will end up paying with cash or miles for many more upgrades going forward vs hoping for upgrade today.
Exactly, I posted earlier about the husband of someone in my office who will drop to PM in 19 due to this change and he is planning on buying FC seats on long hauls now which will take one seat out of the upgrade inventory on those flights.

If I decide to drop to PM in 19 I'll be doing the same thing. I have a ton of RDM's and will just start using those to do PWM for the FC price difference or if there are upgradeable seats on long hauls for 12,500 miles to upgrade I'll just burn my RDM's that way. I'm sure a lot of people dropping to PM have RDM's to burn and will just start buying first class.

Since I have plenty of rollover MQMs and won't have to worry about MQM's anymore if I drop to PM (and who knows if/when Delta will eliminate or limit rollover) I may as well start burning my RDM's on award travel as well and a lot of times on long hauls first isn't much more than coach milewise.

Also with the premium economy product coming out on some international planes the hub captives will see less upgrades on domestic because the people buying those tickets will be sitting up front on the domestic connection.

I really don't care about the short haul trips if I am in coach
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm actually going to flip around and take an opposite tack here: Why doesn't DL just bin MQMs entirely and set de facto MQD thresholds, and then perhaps waive part of the requirement with CC spend?

...oh, sorry, that would be the old VX program, which made sense to me.

(TBH the MQM/MQD tangle is part of why I've taken to outsourcing my earnings to other carriers...I've got a preferred analogue carrier for each of the US carriers, and for the most part they have more suitable international networks for my purposes.)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:50 pm
bzn

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I think maybe a lot of people are upset as they feel they are "losing" DM status. I guess another thing DL could have done is make Delta360 a level with official targets and then reallocate benefits across statuses. Perhaps in 2018 they will change 2019 benefits so PM gets a bit more than currently and DM gets even more lucrative, worth the effort for the highest loyalty fliers. Same effect using different strategies.
Perhaps people are upset because they are paying (minimally) $195 a year for the “privilege” of carrying a credit card, and one of those benefits is the medallion qualification waiver, now unattainable. This change undercuts that and calls for a review of what credit cards one does carry.

And for the sake of precision: Delta isn’t after the highest loyalty flyers. They are after the highest revenue flyers. They don’t care much about loyalty. And they certainly aren’t going to magically sweeten PM benefits in years to come. Nor are they going to make DM “even more lucrative”? That would imply that it is so now 😂
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by PHXflier
It looks like I made the right decision a year or two ago when, because of dwindling upgrade percentages for Diamonds, I started to choose my itinerary based on price and convenience rather than on airline. It has worked out well for me, I saved thousands of $ and hours of time, and as long as I am in Comfort Plus (or equivalent), it does not really matter to me whether that is on United, American or Delta. And being million-miler on multiple airlines will have its advantages when I retire; reaching 3 million miles on DL really is not productive, even though that is likely to happen fairly soon. I could go back to flying mostly Delta and continue to make the Diamond spending limit (I have been Diamond since the inception of the program) but I like the freedom of choice and the significant savings better than occasional upgrades. On many Delta flights I take there are hardly any FC seats left a week prior to departure, so it does not really matter whether the Diamond herd is thinned or not; there are just no FC upgrades to be had. So, thank you, Delta, for making me experiment with alternatives and finding one that I like.
^ That is the right approach. Less stress, better travel experience, money saved, and a more interesting and enjoyable travel experience (different airlines, service levels, airports). Hopefully many find this change to be equally liberating for them. I've never regretted for a second doing what you did also back several years ago.
DiverDave and bzn like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 pm
bzn

Originally Posted by davetravels
To date, I have ALWAYS been able to confirm GUC UGs in advance. Being that all of my travel is for pleasure, I'm usually EXTREMELY flexible.

You and me, both!

Where can we meet to discuss?
Thats awesome about the GUCs, but nearly opposite of my experience. Five years ago, I could routinely clear at time of booking. Starting about two years ago, I wouldn’t clear until weeks or sometimes hours before a flight. Now I’m lucky to find an itinerary that only has time-of-booking UGs on domestic segs, which you obviously don’t want to book without blowing your whole cert. My routes are 100% TPACs.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Personally I'd just go with a straight 3% or at least 2.5% cash back card (on all purchases; dealing with category bonuses IMO is not worth the hassle...may be for someone like the bloggers it is, but not for most). It's rare for any travel-specific program (airline, hotel) miles, points or what not to exceed 3cpm value. That way you are not tied to any airline or hotel, there are no blackout dates, no constantly decreasing value of the awards, etc., but if you prefer you can still use the cash-back as travel purchases offset - while being completely liberated to use it for whatever you want.

Edit: sorry, I missed it that you want it to be an AmEx (but why? AmEx has some of the worst service, and is not accepted at many US businesses and most int'l ones). For an AmEx card, well just get the straight up Platinum AmEx. Priority Pass lounge access, Uber credits, airline fee credits, etc. - if you use it all, you can almost justify the annual fee. Just the rewards in terms of MR are subpar, but, well, that is the best that you can get with AmEx, unless you go with the SPG AmEx that has the most valuable (transferable to almost any major airline) rewards, but the fate of the SPG program in 2018 and beyond if uncertain still.

Last edited by RealHJ; Sep 26, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.