Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
For those suggesting a step type of waiver program, I just want to add my name to the list of people who would instantly drop my Delta Amex card if the waiver goes above $25K for me to maintain my GM status. In some years I spend $50K on the card to get both MQM bonuses, but not always. I would switch to only using the non-branded Amex plat, which I already have. If they want to drop a perk of the card let them drop the companion ticket. I find this much less valuable.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:46 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665-2.html

I will absolutely switch to AA if they make this change.

Heres my stats:
between 200,000-$300,000 spend on 2 reserve cards a year
only about 12 round trips per year
most of them paid first from ATL or MSP to HNL
about 13k in MQD per year
I live in a AA hub, not Delta hub.

I very much question if this rumor is true though. Certainly there would have to be some some negative impact on revenue. Unless they incorrectly think that people like me would spend more on Delta.

Why would DAL willfully negatively impact their revenue? for the sake of more upgrades for platinum's??? doesn't make too much sense to me.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by micstatic
I gotta say. I'm a little perplexed at this. I'm assuming you are connecting. So a couple questions. I'm assuming that means 36 trips per year. Why on earth would you connect when you could presumably as a CLT flyer fly AA directly? I can't imagine doing 36 trips a year connecting if I had direct options. Also if the 36 number is correct this shows me you only avg 277 spend per trip. Hardly a lot. In 2017 is elite status really worth this kind of effort to preserve?

My choice is essentially be Platinum on AA, or Diamond on Delta. First--it is a budget concern. I have a budget for flights--and AA is considerably more expensive (because it is direct).

My typical flights are CLT->ATL->Southeast. Last year--these were typically flights around $240-260. This thread had me looking at average flight cost this year--and it is up around $330. (Flights to FL have been noticeably more expensive for me.) . Still on AA these flights would be well north of $500.

Second, if I were to fly direct and budget was of no concern, I would get with AA:
Platinum Status which gets me...nothing of value.
No real upgrades (the 500 mile stickers have never really worked for me)
No Lounge Access
A bunch of LUS aircraft that do not have preferred seating of any sort
No Free SDC options (something I use ALL the time)

So for me (and for others it would be different), I don't mind the connection much. For that connection, I get lounge access, GUC's, RUC's, upgrade percentage over 90% (to first--100% to Comfort Plus).

I will say last year--I only misconnected once. This year--a whole other story that has had me reconsidering the madness
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Yes, you guys will all switch to AA, where you still cannot get status waived from a credit card. Or UA, where you still cannot either.

This needs to happen. Everyone and their dog is a Diamond on Delta these days. It's as bad as all the Virgin Australia Platinums qualifying on flybuys.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Yes, you guys will all switch to AA, where you still cannot get status waived from a credit card. Or UA, where you still cannot either.
AA card gives you $6,000 MQD per year. which means I only need $6,000 for executive platinum. I spent 13k MQD last year with over 200k amex spend on 2 reserve cards.

AA will have a field day.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm glad that I didn't pick up the card when I made the switch to DL this year. I can make the $9k for PLT, but in 2019 I'll have built up enough rollover to make Diamond based on my current travel patterns - but still only $9k in spend. So I was waiting until then to pick up the card, because stuff happens. Like this.

I find that program "loyalty" (e.g. fit) only lasts 3-4 years for me, and then circumstances evolve enough to reevaluate. That goes for both airlines and hotels for me. So I'm not at all surprised at this evolution.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:12 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
haha! I've never even spent close to $15k in a year with DL--not even last year when I finished with 250,000 MQMs!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
I will absolutely switch to AA if they make this change.

Heres my stats:
between 200,000-$300,000 spend on 2 reserve cards a year
only about 12 round trips per year
most of them paid first from ATL or MSP to HNL
about 13k in MQD per year
I live in a AA hub, not Delta hub.

I very much question if this rumor is true though. Certainly there would have to be some some negative impact on revenue. Unless they incorrectly think that people like me would spend more on Delta.

Why would DAL willfully negatively impact their revenue? for the sake of more upgrades for platinum's??? doesn't make too much sense to me.
Something sounds fishy here as well. You only fly 12 round trips a year. In paid first. So you are already getting first. Why are you directing all that spending to an airline card for an apparent goal of getting diamond? IF you are paid first, you are diamond every flight.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by micstatic
Something sounds fishy here as well. You only fly 12 round trips a year. In paid first. So you are already getting first. Why are you directing all that spending to an airline card for an apparent goal of getting diamond? IF you are paid first, you are diamond every flight.
because last two years I have gone from JFK to SIN twice and used 4 GUC. I have also let 4 expire unused. I am not spending 12k on J ticket. I have also been on JFK SFO and JFK LAX which I am not paying 3k for either.

I buy ATL or MSP HNL because impossible to upgrade on those flights and worth it. I also usually find tickets for about 2,200 RT for those.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
AA card gives you $6,000 MQD per year. which means I only need $6,000 for executive platinum. I spent 13k MQD last year with over 200k amex spend on 2 reserve cards.

AA will have a field day.
Agree. AA may not be able to get elites over to them operationally but Delta may drive them over with this single change. Sad!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Coming from an AA EXP who just did the challenge to DL PM, I consider this... a good thing.

When AA announced there wouldn't be an outright spend waiver, I was quite vocal here about how bad it was; I was wrong. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in this thread, but you still don't have to spend anywhere near $15,000 in actual dollars. DL fliers will just have to learn what us AA fliers have: fly a couple of premium cabin longhauls on partner airlines. DL looks to have basically the same setup as AA here, in fact some of it is even more generous.

I am at work right now and can't look for current examples, but it is not hard to find deals worth 3x and 4x the MQDs for the spend. I hit the AA EXP 12k EQDs this year by spending less than $4k in real money. It's not hard.

Also... Delta needs to do something, because from all I've read, being DM is basically worthless as far as upgrades go. As an AA EXP, I am 29/31 on upgrades this year. The only two I missed were an ORD-PHX I bought the night before, and a CLT-RDU on a 319 (who cares, the plane barely leaves the ground).

This is a good thing. Any FT mileage runner worth their salt will be able to hit the 15kMQD easily. Any legitimate high spender hits it anyway and will benefit from this. I agree it sounds terrible as a headline, but it's really a non issue, at least to FTers with a little creativity.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by AdamNP

Also... Delta needs to do something, because from all I've read, being DM is basically worthless as far as upgrades go.
Commenting just on this snippet: This part is intentional by DL as a result of FCM. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Where upgrades do exist, those paying the highest fares are already prioritized (within medallion level) so I doubt this change will have any/much impact on which DMs do/do not see upgrades.

That's not a comment on whether this change is good/bad in general, I just don't see it being a 'fix' to upgrades. The 'fix' to upgrades according to the DL forum is WFBF
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
Commenting just on this snippet: This part is intentional by DL as a result of FCM. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Where upgrades do exist, those paying the highest fares are already prioritized (within medallion level) so I doubt this change will have any/much impact on which DMs do/do not see upgrades.

That's not a comment on whether this change is good/bad in general, I just don't see it being a 'fix' to upgrades. The 'fix' to upgrades according to the DL forum is WFBF
It could impact PM's who are buying the YBMHQ fares getting some upgrades instead of those who are currently DM's always flying on VXT fares.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ty97
Well, some portion of those DMs won't continue being DMs under this new system; I would guess they would disagree about how much of an impact this will have.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Either way, I will cancel my DL AMEX Reserve Card if this happens. I only spend $30k/yr on it, but I can gladly move that spend over to my Chase Sapphire card.

I fly about 250,000 MQMs per year on MR-fares as I try to take at least one vacation per month internationally--usually on partners, and I split between DL and AA (I have DM and EXP).

I may just move all of my travel to One World, though, as I REALLY value the acccess to international FC lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.