Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pvn
I'm guessing you didn't lose much sleep over that possibility
Actually I did. When I got confirmation from my 3rd sources I did hardly sleep that night. This would be a devastating change. I hope we have averted it yes!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Actually I did. When I got confirmation from my 3rd sources I did hardly sleep that night. This would be a devastating change. I hope we have averted it yes!
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but...seriously? A "devastating" change that people are losing sleep over?

It's airline status. Actually, it's not even that. It's one element of how airline status is earned.

If this pans out, will it be a minor annoyance for some of the people it affects? Sure.

Worth losing sleep over? Hardly. Though I guess if airline status matters that much to someone...

A "devastating" change? No. Not at all. A "devastating" change would be breaking your leg when your work requires standing/walking around all day. Or being diagnosed with a serious illness. Or finding out that girl/gal you like enjoys flying NK.

This is not a devastating change, and if it happens at all, there are very few people who will lose sleep over it.
Statman likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Or finding out that girl/gal you like enjoys flying NK.
This thought is going to keep ME up at night.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but...seriously? A "devastating" change that people are losing sleep over?

It's airline status. Actually, it's not even that. It's one element of how airline status is earned.

If this pans out, will it be a minor annoyance for some of the people it affects? Sure.

Worth losing sleep over? Hardly. Though I guess if airline status matters that much to someone...

A "devastating" change? No. Not at all. A "devastating" change would be breaking your leg when your work requires standing/walking around all day. Or being diagnosed with a serious illness. Or finding out that girl/gal you like enjoys flying NK.

This is not a devastating change, and if it happens at all, there are very few people who will lose sleep over it.
Agreed Gooselee, if this rumored change fits your definition of devastating, then you have a very rude awaken coming.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ty97
This thought is going to keep ME up at night.
For as strongly opinionated as some of my posts can be, I do sometimes try to unite all of us around some closing thought.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Truly #firstworldproblems

I wonder how much sleep (and calories) Gary Leff lost over AA's cookie-gate
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

Maybe devastating is the wrong word. How about catastrophic or horrendous?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
At my age, I certainly know the difference between devastating and disappointing. This change, if it were to occur, would be disappointing, but I would survive. Still, I will do whatever I can to encourage Delta to think long and hard before taking this action.

Bruce
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:28 pm

if the rumor is true and then the AMEX waiver won't apply for DM, it still applies for the other status levels.

So the few people that fly enough to earn DM, but not spend enough to meet the MDQ threshold will be PM instead of DM.

I'd say annoying, inconvenient, and maybe a bit upsetting.

But it's a change that will affect a very small percentage of DL DM's, much less overall DL travelers. Even if it affects a large percentage of FT DM's We are hardly a representative group.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would still disagree, but I certainly would not begrudge you your own opinion. How's that?

Full disclosure: I was an English teacher in a former life, and I know I can be somewhat particular when it comes to word choice.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
...I was an English teacher in a former life, and I know I can be somewhat particular when it comes to word choice.
How do you feel about "disappointing"?

Bruce
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm still hoping it goes through FWIW (though I am still betting this whole thing is the figment of someone's imagination).

Last edited by pvn; Aug 9, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
In no way attacking you but really confused. In what way would it be too late now? Until 1JAN we are not earning or impacting the next year. Sure we can buy tickets now but the FF program is not dependent on travel. BTW as a data point they did make changes (think consolidator fare issue) in September a few years back for the next year - correct?
Because as I said, I'm already making purchasing decisions now for travel next year based on a certain set of expectations of how the Medallion program works.

I don't understand what you mean by "the FF program is not dependent on travel." It's wholly dependent on dates of travel not dates of purchase. Whatever I purchase today for 2018 won't count - even the MQDs for $$$ that I spend today - until the flights are flown, right? So what I'm purchasing today in 2017 for travel in 2018 will impact my 2019 medallion status.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Someone in my office received a phone call back from an ex stating that they weren't aware of the changes. If this dies occur he isn't sure if he'll stay with delta and drop to pm or try to do a status match with American since he died a lot of South America and Mexico flights and Miami is easy for him to connect through. His wife is a platinum and relies on the waiver as well and is concerned they will eliminate it for platinums the next year (if this does go through I hope they do enact it for Platonisms since they will really need to thin the herd if all these diamonds drop to pm).

He was told by the rep they have had a lot of inquiries so the letter writing must be working.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

+1 for the most part, though some may lose sleep over it as their plans for earning/keeping the status for the next few years (e.g. by having a huge rollover MQM balance) will need to be changed (though not really that much, as PM and DM don't have much of a real difference, both are SkyTeam Elite Plus and get award redeposit waivers, the two important aspects; and personally to me that would be a positive actually, as despite trying not to get DM and stay PM with a larger rollover, year after year I end up, contrary to my plans, getting DM yet again)

In reality the change will be "empowering," not "devastating," as that it will empower quite a few passengers to more freely fly other airlines, no longer having the not-always-logical "loyalty" to Delta, thus saving them time and money in travel, giving the opportunity to try other alliance airlines service, and just enjoying life more. What may feel to be "devastating" at first will in the end be really "liberating" and "empowering" -- and that is a good feeling to have. It just make take some time for some to realize that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.