Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ground Crew Member Scans Boarding Passes at Gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Crew Member Scans Boarding Passes at Gate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
There is an Undercover Boss segment with the CEO of Frontier -- he works with the a cross-trained agent at one of their small stations in a warm climate. One of the issues that came up is appropriate uniform attire when you are working checkin, the gate, and loading bags on a really hot day.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
At the smallest town I've ever lived in, the airport handles 3 or 4 flights per day, all on Horizon Air feeding to SEA. The same person is at the check-in counter, loads bags onto the plane, does the orange flashlight dance to guide the plane onto the taxiway, and probably sweeps the terminal too.

While I lived there, the airport didn't have full ILS capabilities, which made life interesting in the late winter/early spring when fog was common. I spent many wayward hours waiting at SEA, boarding the little Q400, flying over and circling, attempting a couple of landings, and flying back to SEA to wait some more.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
How much compensation are ya gonna ask for, OP?

ha! none

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Did people stand around him asking "did FC BOARD full????"
No FC, but there was a guy stalking the podium for the C+ seat I had given up so I could sit with my child.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:16 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I worked at BOS in the 1980s running a gift shop and was friends with the gate agents for some of the commuter airlines in old Terminal D, and more than once I helped them with boarding passes. No scanning, just checking off names on greenbar, but it was more fun than restocking the magazine racks!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by anon2k2
At the smallest town I've ever lived in, the airport handles 3 or 4 flights per day, all on Horizon Air feeding to SEA. The same person is at the check-in counter, loads bags onto the plane, does the orange flashlight dance to guide the plane onto the taxiway, and probably sweeps the terminal too.
You just described the Cape Air ops @ UIN. 4-5 flights daily UIN>STL. There is normally 1 Cape Air employee (not counting the pilot) and 3-4 TSA agents to screen the total 8 passengers per flight.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta PM
I've scanned myself in twice at MIA actually. Only one GA was at the gate and someone asked for help. I was next in line so I just scanned myself. I was the only one to do so because no one boarded for 2 minutes after I did.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
MANY years ago, our son's first civilian aviation job was with a regional carrier at a small airport. His "primary" job was as an A&P mechanic but he was also trained and expected to work as a GA, baggage handler, general rampie, and even give the safety briefings on some of the smaller aircraft which didn't have FA's.

Early one morning, the scheduled GA had called in sick so he checked everyone in, loaded the baggage and boarded the passengers. The Captain asked him to check something which required that he get into the left seat. He took care of the problem and as he came out of the cockpit one of his regular passengers said to him: "If someone started to close the door, I was getting off the plane!"
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I would be furiated.
At first I was going to ask if that was the opposite of infuriated. But then I found this. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=furiated. Who knew?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerwma
At first I was going to ask if that was the opposite of infuriated. But then I found this. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=furiated. Who knew?
At one point, it was used as a synonym in this forum. Many of us remember the "discussion" centered around the word.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At one point, it was used as a synonym in this forum. Many of us remember the "discussion" centered around the word.
Figured you'd get the reference

I wonder how TJ is doing these days... and if he's still numba one.

(For those who weren't around in 2010, "furiated" originated in this very relevant and comical thread where 15 year old TJ wanted the GA fired because a pilot was scanning BPs: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rmination.html)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
I wonder how TJ is doing these days... and if he's still numba one.
And, I assume that you know TJ's new and current screenname, that I believe he initiated since so many people made fun of him. I won't publicize it here.

From reading his posts here, I believe he works for DL now.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by davetravels
And, I assume that you know TJ's new and current screenname, that I believe he initiated since so many people made fun of him. I won't publicize it here.

From reading his posts here, I believe he works for DL now.
I knew there was a reason why I switched all of my flying to UA

And, up until the end, I was cheating with the PHX based hooker airline. (old habits die hard)

ETA: secretsea18 says hi.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Crossinator
I've scanned myself in twice at MIA actually. Only one GA was at the gate and someone asked for help. I was next in line so I just scanned myself. I was the only one to do so because no one boarded for 2 minutes after I did.
I've done the same a couple of times in the last year or so.

I wasn't the only one either.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:48 pm

Last time I few out of McAllen TX (MFE) on AA I had the same agent through the entire process. She checked me in and took my bag, then showed up at the gate and scanned all our BPs. Looking out the window I saw her get in the aircraft tug and push us back.

This was a long time ago, though.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
Last time I few out of McAllen TX (MFE) on AA I had the same agent through the entire process. She checked me in and took my bag, then showed up at the gate and scanned all our BPs. Looking out the window I saw her get in the aircraft tug and push us back.

This was a long time ago, though.
Recently (as of late May) GRK (Killeen, TX) had 2 GAs. One to handle with check-in, and the other one to handle boarding, but since the weather in IAH was not wanting to cooperate, the GA at the gate sent people who were going to be re-booked for tomorrow back to the check-in counter while he was handling the flight. But, they were so streamlined (read: no other aircraft around), that instead of pushing back, he swung the jetway far enough back to allow our flight to taxi out of the ramp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.