Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ground Crew Member Scans Boarding Passes at Gate

Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday, RAP - MSP, while the gate agent helped a disabled passenger board she enlisted a ground crew member to scan the passengers boarding passes. The GA did give the ground crew person a 10 second tutorial.

Flying, always an adventure.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by susanc
Yesterday, RAP - MSP, while the gate agent helped a disabled passenger board she enlisted a ground crew member to scan the passengers boarding passes. The GA did give the ground crew person a 10 second tutorial.

Flying, always an adventure.
Stuff like this happens at small airports often. Flew out of CHO a few years ago and a ground crew member was at the ticket counter. Also last week on my OGG-LAX flight, a man with a UA Tech Ops vest came on the aircraft (not sure what for).
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Stuff like this happens at small airports often. Flew out of CHO a few years ago and a ground crew member was at the ticket counter. Also last week on my OGG-LAX flight, a man with a UA Tech Ops vest came on the aircraft (not sure what for).
Oftentimes at smaller stations the same agents are cross-utilized both at the gate, in the lobby, and on the ramp. An agent may go from checking in to throwing bags and someone might come up from the ramp to work a gate.

DL also outsources maintenance in smaller stations which could explain the UA Tech Ops guy...I saw AA line maintenance onboard a while back (can't remember exactly where).
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was taken aback by the situation. It was clearly a first time experience for the ground crew member and me.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Oftentimes at smaller stations the same agents are cross-utilized both at the gate, in the lobby, and on the ramp. An agent may go from checking in to throwing bags and someone might come up from the ramp to work a gate.
HVN (oh DL, please come back!)

Same person checks you and your bags in at the ticket counter, scans your bp at the gate then loads bags. There is no one else.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I would be furiated.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by susanc
I was taken aback by the situation.
How would you feel if a NON-EMPLOYEE FlyerTalker scanned your boarding pass at the gate during a FlyerTalk "DO"???

Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even FTers can scan boarding passes at the gate. A bunch of us did this during the "GA for a day" experience at the big DL ATL DO. AFAIK nothing bad happened as a result (and it was fun as well as enlightening to see stuff from the other side).
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even FTers can scan boarding passes at the gate. A bunch of us did this during the "GA for a day" experience at the big DL ATL DO. AFAIK nothing bad happened as a result (and it was fun as well as enlightening to see stuff from the other side).
in fact I wish we could do that again. It would be insightful to see the world of a ga with snap, etc
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
How much compensation are ya gonna ask for, OP?

Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I remember seeing the person who checked you in would then run the security checkpoint, load your bag, and then scan your boarding pass.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by planecrazy63
in fact I wish we could do that again. It would be insightful to see the world of a ga with snap, etc
I loved the part where I got to run the upgrade system, and got to see when a party that was traveling BHM-ATL-CUN failed to show at the gate, even though they had 3 hours to move from B to E. Apparently they decided to go drinking in C. It was interesting to see how close to pushback time the agent would go before taking the bags off.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
How much compensation are ya gonna ask for, OP?

one MILLION dollars (said like Dr. Evil in Austin Powers)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets

DL also outsources maintenance in smaller stations which could explain the UA Tech Ops guy...I saw AA line maintenance onboard a while back (can't remember exactly where).
Happens for all airlines. No point in having a line station at an airport with only a few flights a day and no planned checks.

I would have to go back and look but I think OOG was a line station till DL cut TechOps bone deep +40% in bankruptcy.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:15 am

Sounds like OJT for a new hire or new-to-gates guy.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Did people stand around him asking "did FC BOARD full????"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.