FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Ground Crew Member Scans Boarding Passes at Gate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1846745-ground-crew-member-scans-boarding-passes-gate.html)

susanc Jun 6, 2017 4:11 pm

Ground Crew Member Scans Boarding Passes at Gate

Yesterday, RAP - MSP, while the gate agent helped a disabled passenger board she enlisted a ground crew member to scan the passengers boarding passes. The GA did give the ground crew person a 10 second tutorial.

Flying, always an adventure.

MCO Flyer Jun 6, 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by susanc (Post 28411758)
Yesterday, RAP - MSP, while the gate agent helped a disabled passenger board she enlisted a ground crew member to scan the passengers boarding passes. The GA did give the ground crew person a 10 second tutorial.

Flying, always an adventure.

Stuff like this happens at small airports often. Flew out of CHO a few years ago and a ground crew member was at the ticket counter. Also last week on my OGG-LAX flight, a man with a UA Tech Ops vest came on the aircraft (not sure what for).

Fly_Delta_Jets Jun 6, 2017 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 28411783)
Stuff like this happens at small airports often. Flew out of CHO a few years ago and a ground crew member was at the ticket counter. Also last week on my OGG-LAX flight, a man with a UA Tech Ops vest came on the aircraft (not sure what for).

Oftentimes at smaller stations the same agents are cross-utilized both at the gate, in the lobby, and on the ramp. An agent may go from checking in to throwing bags and someone might come up from the ramp to work a gate.

DL also outsources maintenance in smaller stations which could explain the UA Tech Ops guy...I saw AA line maintenance onboard a while back (can't remember exactly where).

susanc Jun 6, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I was taken aback by the situation. It was clearly a first time experience for the ground crew member and me.

tkey75 Jun 6, 2017 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets (Post 28411981)
Oftentimes at smaller stations the same agents are cross-utilized both at the gate, in the lobby, and on the ramp. An agent may go from checking in to throwing bags and someone might come up from the ramp to work a gate.

HVN (oh DL, please come back!)

Same person checks you and your bags in at the ticket counter, scans your bp at the gate then loads bags. There is no one else.

javabytes Jun 6, 2017 6:08 pm

I would be furiated.

davetravels Jun 6, 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by susanc (Post 28412001)
I was taken aback by the situation.

How would you feel if a NON-EMPLOYEE FlyerTalker scanned your boarding pass at the gate during a FlyerTalk "DO"???

:D

MSPeconomist Jun 6, 2017 6:16 pm

Even FTers can scan boarding passes at the gate. A bunch of us did this during the "GA for a day" experience at the big DL ATL DO. AFAIK nothing bad happened as a result (and it was fun as well as enlightening to see stuff from the other side).

planecrazy63 Jun 6, 2017 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28412136)
Even FTers can scan boarding passes at the gate. A bunch of us did this during the "GA for a day" experience at the big DL ATL DO. AFAIK nothing bad happened as a result (and it was fun as well as enlightening to see stuff from the other side).

in fact I wish we could do that again. It would be insightful to see the world of a ga with snap, etc

Doc Savage Jun 6, 2017 9:25 pm

How much compensation are ya gonna ask for, OP?

SJC ORD LDR Jun 6, 2017 9:51 pm

I remember seeing the person who checked you in would then run the security checkpoint, load your bag, and then scan your boarding pass.

fgirard Jun 6, 2017 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28412136)

Originally Posted by planecrazy63 (Post 28412578)
in fact I wish we could do that again. It would be insightful to see the world of a ga with snap, etc

I loved the part where I got to run the upgrade system, and got to see :rolleyes: when a party that was traveling BHM-ATL-CUN failed to show at the gate, even though they had 3 hours to move from B to E. Apparently they decided to go drinking in C. It was interesting to see how close to pushback time the agent would go before taking the bags off.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 28412587)
How much compensation are ya gonna ask for, OP?

one MILLION dollars (said like Dr. Evil in Austin Powers) :D

Dawgfan6291 Jun 7, 2017 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets (Post 28411981)

DL also outsources maintenance in smaller stations which could explain the UA Tech Ops guy...I saw AA line maintenance onboard a while back (can't remember exactly where).

Happens for all airlines. No point in having a line station at an airport with only a few flights a day and no planned checks.

I would have to go back and look but I think OOG was a line station till DL cut TechOps bone deep +40% in bankruptcy. :(

Widgets Jun 7, 2017 3:15 am

Sounds like OJT for a new hire or new-to-gates guy.

vincentharris Jun 7, 2017 4:39 am

Did people stand around him asking "did FC BOARD full????"