Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you're logged in when searching, clicking on "View Upgrade Availability" for any flight option will tell you whether or not there's C+ UG inventory (you are looking for "UG Available to C+" rather than "UG Eligible") ... if the seat map shows stuff you like, go through with the purchase; as PM, you should get the UG notification within half an hour or so of purchase, and you can then go back to select an acceptable seat (yes, there's a small chance that someone else will be doing a similar thing 5 sec or 5 min ahead of you, but the only way to guarantee yourself that desirable C+ seat is to buy it outright)
Old May 25, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
if you're logged in when searching, clicking on "View Upgrade Availability" for any flight option will tell you whether or not there's C+ UG inventory (you are looking for "UG Available to C+" rather than "UG Eligible") ... if the seat map shows stuff you like, go through with the purchase; as PM, you should get the UG notification within half an hour or so of purchase, and you can then go back to select an acceptable seat (yes, there's a small chance that someone else will be doing a similar thing 5 sec or 5 min ahead of you, but the only way to guarantee yourself that desirable C+ seat is to buy it outright)
As a work-around, for now, this can be done. But it is, IMO, really petty and stupid to treat PMs (or DMs or GMs) this way. They just keep making the purchase and seat selection process less and less pleasant.

And indeed, a DL agent confirms, you can't see C+ until you request it.
Actually, the seat map was updated and only reflects the seat map in which you're ticketed and confirmed for. *HAA
Old May 26, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by LBJ
I have two TATL flights where I am in C+ and I can sell all open coach seats. I don't have any GUC's waitlisted on them, so that may be the difference.
This has me wondering, are the people saying they can still see open seats in other cabins all looking at international itineraries? The ones I'm looking at are domestic and I can only see the cabin I'm in.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
One data point. Purchased C+ for a PBI-ATL-ICN R/T and all of the other seats are grayed out (main cabin and D1).

No D1 upgrade offer (not even sure if they do that for International flights).
Old May 26, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zeeb
This has me wondering, are the people saying they can still see open seats in other cabins all looking at international itineraries? The ones I'm looking at are domestic and I can only see the cabin I'm in.
My earlier comments were all about domestic flights. Sadly no int'l trips planned currently.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:23 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
In my international D1 bookings I cannot see C+ or Y.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by RaflW
As a work-around, for now, this can be done. But it is, IMO, really petty and stupid to ... (make) the purchase and seat selection process less and less pleasant....
I've actually never considered it a workaround, but I've generally been in WFBF mode for my TCONs (and booking well within the window, usually 2 to 3 days out)
Old May 27, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Just a data point for a flight tomorrow, UGed to F at the GM window.

Before check in: could see all available seats

After check in: can see all seats in F and C- (including preferred) on desktop, but not C+ (which has open seats via dummy booking)

On mobile: can only see F seats and non-preferred C-, no C+ or preferred C-

At least both give me the option to self-downgrade from 2A on a CR7 ;-)... (but only to C-)

I'm putting my chips on glitch during rollout...
Old May 27, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On my international itineraries, the seats in other cabins are greyed out with the exception of AF/KLM operated flights. Those look like the other cabin doesn't even exist on the aircraft, so I'm only seating a few rows. Someone who didn't know better might think that it's an extremely tiny aircraft with one class service.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On my international itineraries, the seats in other cabins are greyed out with the exception of AF/KLM operated flights. Those look like the other cabin doesn't even exist on the aircraft, so I'm only seating a few rows. Someone who didn't know better might think that it's an extremely tiny aircraft with one class service.
Same for me, but this has been the case for some time (if I recall correctly). In fact, I'd wondered if this change--should it not be a glitch--was something DL was doing to line up its practices with AF/KLM.

That said, there is a flight in my upcoming itineraries in which I can see availability in all cabins (LGA-YUL), and it's one in which there's also a FCM offer. Nobody has taken them up on it--F is entirely empty--so I'm not sure this is evidence that F is being blocked out so that we'll think that UGs are going to be impossible and buy one.

All my other upcoming itineraries, though--3 paid F domestic, 2 paid F on AF/KLM, 5 Y on AF/KLM, 3 intl Y on DL, and 4 domestic companion Y on DL--I can only see seats in my current cabin. Among these in Y, however, it's not consistent whether I can see only C+ (I'm WU in all) or all of Y.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryanm
Same for me, but this has been the case for some time (if I recall correctly). In fact, I'd wondered if this change--should it not be a glitch--was something DL was doing to line up its practices with AF/KLM.

That said, there is a flight in my upcoming itineraries in which I can see availability in all cabins (LGA-YUL), and it's one in which there's also a FCM offer. Nobody has taken them up on it--F is entirely empty--so I'm not sure this is evidence that F is being blocked out so that we'll think that UGs are going to be impossible and buy one.

All my other upcoming itineraries, though--3 paid F domestic, 2 paid F on AF/KLM, 5 Y on AF/KLM, 3 intl Y on DL, and 4 domestic companion Y on DL--I can only see seats in my current cabin. Among these in Y, however, it's not consistent whether I can see only C+ (I'm WU in all) or all of Y.
Could whether one can see both C+ and regular coach depend on whether C+ is sold as a different fare class versus C+ being special seats that nonelites pay to reserve?
Old May 30, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
atl-dtw-atl couldn't view anything except C+. Return was upgraded just now. And now I can view ATL-DTW First class as well...
Old May 30, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM
Another data point: PDX-LAX(ugh)-SAN today. Can only view C+ on PDX-LAX, UG cleared LAX-SAN at the window and can only see F.

Same thing happened last week SAN-SEA, UG cleared at the window and could only view F, no C+ or main cabin.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by gooselee
My earlier comments were all about domestic flights. Sadly no int'l trips planned currently.
I can see the first class cabin seats available on my upcoming domestic flight and I am booked in regular (not Delta Comfort) seats. No difference for me.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG
Phone agents seemingly unaware

I can confirm that phone agents would seem to be unaware of this new change. Flying back FLL-LGA today, check my email last night to check in. My girlfriend and I were "upgraded" from a pair of exit row seats to a pair of C+ middle seats in separate rows.

Now that C+ is its own cabin (LMFAO), it's impossible to change back to a seat in regular coach. Call the phone line for assistance. Proceed to be told by the agent that there are "no seats available" in the main cabin. I had to explain (despite multiple protestations) that I could assure her our original seats were still available, as I had pulled up a new itinerary on Delta.com and could purchase the seat I wanted immediately.

Long story long, it took 20 minutes and multiple assists from a "supervisor" for the agent to gain visibility into the main cabin. What a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.