Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta partners with Lyft - Earn Skymiles for every Lyft ride

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta partners with Lyft - Earn Skymiles for every Lyft ride

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 2:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Took a lift ride May 18.

It posted 57 miles (airport run) to my Skymiles account last night.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This must be market specific. In San Francisco, literally all of the ride sharing drivers I ride with have both Uber and Lyft signs in their car and work for both.

I already moved away from Uber due to their terrible corporate culture (I have friend who work there that can vouch for it) but this Delta factor plus the tipping just confirms the choice.

I also know people who work for Lyft and they are much, much happier. I think the leadership at Lyft is just made up of better people. Once I went to lunch at Uber and I felt like I was in a gross frat cafeteria or something. For bro-ey.
The guy in my building that drives for Uber drives for both and said Lyft treats their drivers a lot better. He told me Uber raised the safe driver fee which all goes to Uber and cut fares and encourages no tipping. He also told me he runs both apps and tries to pick up only higher rating passengers but if it's a slow night and he accepts a pick up for a couple miles away from a poorly rated passenger and a lyft request comes in he cancels the uber pick up and heads off to the lyft passeneger.

I took my first lyft ride a couple years ago due to an Uber driver I had in FLL I tipped him in cash at the end of the ride and then he was telling me he drove for both companies and asked my cell number and sent me a $50 promo code for Lyft LOL. He said he drives for both companies but prefer Lyft because they treat their drivers a lot better and the tipping app.

A driver in Boston recently told me a lot of drivers are getting ticked off at Uber over uber pool. I guess they don't make much money on pool rides if there aren't any other passengers and the tips are awful and Uber is really trying to force the drivers to accept pool rides to keep their account active.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
guys, I don't want to get into a semantic argument, but taxi drivers yelling and/or not having change don't make asking for change tacky. They definitely make it annoying, but it's simple enough to say "sorry bub". If a guy wants to get tipped he needs to be able to have change, and if he can't take that step it's no skin off my back.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, but why exactly are some of you clammering to tip??!?!?!

Most people seem to have forgotten something, tipping is supposed to be for excellent or even EXTRAORDINARY service, not for someone who is just doing their job, and often a mediocre job at that. I would say that maybe 5% of my last 1000 car rides (Uber, Lyft, Taxi, Camel or Donkey) have had any driver do something wonderful or extraordinary. I have had quite a lot of mediocre or even terrible Uber or Lyft drivers ask/beg/cajole for 5 star ratings, but half don't even get out of the car to help with bags, and 3/4 spend way too much time pondering over GPS suggestions (that are often idiotic) than to concentrate on me.

The beauty of these apps was that they were getting away from the standard tipping idiocy, by delivering a net price. That was something that most of us love(d).

BTW, I find Gett to be a better proposition all around.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
I do 4-10 Uber airport rides per month and have had it with this "5 for 5" thing. I even had a driver go so far as to ask for a tip -- while on the phone with the next person he was picking up! Enough. And it's not like I'm coming home drunk from a bar. I'm always nicely dressed...usually for work, courteous, outside and waiting (or at least waiting with the front door open...even at 4:30A) before the driver arrives, don't ask for help with luggage, etc etc. A few days ago I overheard an Uber driver saying that if a passenger doesn't tip, it's an automatic 4* or below. Combine this recent (-ish?) trend with Uber's problematic corporate culture and it's time for a switch...the new Delta-Lyft partnership just sweetens the deal. Accounts linked and first airport Lyft ride scheduled for Tuesday AM.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
tipping is supposed to be for excellent or even EXTRAORDINARY service, not for someone who is just doing their job
This is completely false, and has been discussed on this forum many times.

In the United States, tipping is standard, not exceptional, for certain services. This includes waiter service, salon & spa services, home food delivery, hotel maid service and yes, taxis, among others.

Not tipping these professionals, unless they do a truly terrible job, is not only rude, I would say it is unethical. They rely on tipping for their income (you know, feeding their children and paying for housing and stuff like that). Are you aware that many states even have a lower minimum wage for certain jobs because tipping is expected?

Agreed that Uber is a grey area, but the blanket statement that you made is a red flag.

Last edited by jdrtravel; May 19, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Old May 19, 2017, 4:22 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that rarely tips Uber drivers. I tip if I end up making them wait, or if they help with bags, but otherwise, I almost never tip. I've worked service industry, I tip on the high end for most services, but on my constant $6.15 trips, they just get a sincere thank you and a wave. I actually thought that was the big perk of these services, you don't have to worry about it unless someone goes above and beyond.

Though I did buy gift cards during the holidays for the two drivers who regularly take my dad out and back. They're angels who make sure he gets inside safely on both sides of the trip.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did I know that someone would start to throw food service into this and go on about "In the United States"??!!

Food service is its own thing that has nothing to do with the rest. Of course delivery people should be tipped, and food service people should get a tip (and yes we all know that there is a lower minimum "food" wage), but guess what, the amount that they tip also depends on what they do and service. The half asleep guy at the register of a self serve Frozen Yogurt place, does not under any circumstances deserve a tip (how many tip jars have I seen at such places).

How about this for you. In Many cities in the United States Taxi Drivers once upon a time worked as employees for fleets, this is still the case in some cities, whereby the driver works for a salary or a percentage of the meter. In cities like NY however, that is not how it works. They rent the car for the shift and after their "rental costs" and fuel, make all their money themselves, The minimum, what is on the meter, as well as whatever tip. So the tip culture for NYC taxis, with their horrible cars and often horrible drivers is and has been ridiculous for years.

Maid service at hotels? Don't be ridiculous.

Uber (or other ride sharing service) drivers, make all their money after whatever their fee is to the ride sharing company (which can range from 10-30% depending on the company, the time of day or many other factors), in certain cities Uber and other ride share services cost as much as taxis now, but generally have much less overhead than taxis (although as I understand it, that is changing as the Medallion market crashes, and that factor of the "rentals" lowers "rental" costs).

The Uber deal has been that it is a net fare. There is no "Grey area".
Old May 20, 2017, 7:01 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by synergistic
I tip on the high end for most services, but on my constant $6.15 trips, they just get a sincere thank you and a wave.
FWIW, the short trips are the ones that drivers make the least on, proportionally, as a big chunk of Uber's fees are fixed per-ride. I am actually more likely to tip on a very short trip.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW, the short trips are the ones that drivers make the least on, proportionally, as a big chunk of Uber's fees are fixed per-ride. I am actually more likely to tip on a very short trip.
In many markets Uber (and Lyft) has incentives for riders to complete a certain amount of rides in a day or in a week or other timeframe. I have spoken with many drivers who really prefer to do lots of short routes because it helps them unlock these bonuses more quickly, and they can be significant amounts.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Always have used Uber and with this promotion thought I'd try Lyft. Good first experience, I like the app more than Uber, especially the color/photo of the car picking me up. Surprisingly, miles posted to my DL account within 5 hours.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've taken 4 rides with Lyft since the promo started... all four posted. So now I just need to spend about $600,000 on more Lyft rides so I can get J tix to Australia for me and my wife.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:23 pm

Thank you! Just signed up :-)
Old May 25, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Miles not posting

I've taken multiple rides and nothing has posted for me. I was using a Lyft gift card that I had purchased when the Freedom card was 5x on transportation. Has anyone else seen this issue? I'm wondering if because my receipts say $0.00 I'm not getting credit.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
I've taken multiple rides and nothing has posted for me. I was using a Lyft gift card that I had purchased when the Freedom card was 5x on transportation. Has anyone else seen this issue? I'm wondering if because my receipts say $0.00 I'm not getting credit.
Doesn't seem like it should matter.

FWIW I took my first Lyft ride recently and it posted two days later. Pre-tip amount was just shy of $27 before deducting the $10 Delta coupon and I was credited with 27x3=81 miles with the airport bonus.

If nothing obvious jumps out from the FAQ:

https://www.deltalyft.com/faq/

e.g. names match, accounts linked, then the "I took a ride and did not receive miles" item has instructions and links for contacting Lyft first to "validate" the ride and then SkyMiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.