FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1817885-tsa-plans-limit-precheck-enrolled-trusted-travelers.html)

yogimax Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM (Post 27827946)
Depends did it randomly add it to your boarding pass or did you get reimbursed when signing up for your loyalty.

If you haven't actually applied for PreCheck or GE you will no longer have access to that line.

Getting PreCheck however as a choice benefit, through miles, status, or a DL credit card will continue on in to the future.

I would assume I got it through my status (which I have maintained).

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Jan 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax (Post 27827999)

But did you apply for it at all. If you just randomly got it out of nowhere without getting a KTN or PASSID, you will no longer get PC. However, as a Platinum medallion, you may sign up for it for free as choice benefit

tvtd Jan 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 27821530)
how many people were still getting this for free? I thought they ended this program a couple of years ago.

My dad gets it pretty much every time he flies, like once a year maybe. My wife and kids get it almost every time when they fly with me (and we are almost always on separate reservations as they accompany me on work trips).

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 27821919)
They have a dragon before you enter the premium line. Its always the same lady (she has been there a decade at least) and she knows limited English. The couple of times I tried using the Premium line as precheck, I got told "no, no" and a finger point over to the precheck line. When I use the premium line correctly, she usually nods and in rare instances, I get an "okay." Assessing the situation, just doing what the BP says seems best.

As far as I'm concerned, that is almost illegal. You have a boarding pass, so if the PreCheck line is a mile long and the kettle line consists of 1 person you should be able to choose the regular line. I've done this at IAD. The dragons there always look at me like I have a third eye. I just don't feel like standing in line.

Off topic a bit, I don't like these line dragons. They're not TSA and so have less legal standing to enforce rules than any other random airport employee. There were two at IAD guarding the PreCheck line on my most recent visit. Both were engaged in conversation with no intention to look at my boarding pass. Being the proactive person that I am I just walked past. It was then they took notice to which I announced, "Yes, I have Precheck", while showing the little tag on my BP.

Super80Fan Jan 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by tvtd (Post 27828043)
As far as I'm concerned, that is almost illegal. You have a boarding pass, so if the PreCheck line is a mile long and the kettle line consists of 1 person you should be able to choose the regular line. I've done this at IAD. The dragons there always look at me like I have a third eye. I just don't feel like standing in line.

Off topic a bit, I don't like these line dragons. They're not TSA and so have less legal standing to enforce rules than any other random airport employee. There were two at IAD guarding the PreCheck line on my most recent visit. Both were engaged in conversation with no intention to look at my boarding pass. Being the proactive person that I am I just walked past. It was then they took notice to which I announced, "Yes, I have Precheck", while showing the little tag on my BP.

Did the same thing at MCO. They were chatting, I walked right on my merry way, they started to say something and then stopped. Oh well, I can deal with BP checkers, I can't wait to deal with one of those awful dragons that look at your carry-on bag and deem it "too large".

Widgets Jan 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax (Post 27827999)

As a reminder, Delta (and all airlines) have never been able to grant PreCheck status. Airlines merely funneled your info to the TSA, and the TSA made a decision. The TSA is now changing their program. Airlines are just the middleman. I hope that makes sense, because the DYKWIAs who yell at me for personally revoking their PreCheck don't get it ;)

Super80Fan Jan 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Speaking of which, before I enrolled with Global Entry, I always got PreCheck when flying on Delta, never any other airline. My sister would always get it when flying with Southwest, and my father would get it with JetBlue. My mother got the bad luck and never had it with any of them, doesn't matter now though as I have GE and they all have PreCheck.

pa3lsvt Jan 28, 2017 5:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone (Post 27827996)
We see it all the time with other issues like oversized bags, too many bags, etc. and the TSA does nothing.

This is not the TSA's responsibility. They should not be the bag size/quantity police; they are simply there to ensure that no WEI is present in the bags.

nichelle Jan 28, 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 27823334)
So, it detects coffee, too?!? :confused:

Well, no. But I'm sure his large cup of coffee was more than 3 ounces. He had to turn back and get rid of it before going through.

NoStressHere Jan 28, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by yogimax (Post 27827908)
So Delta (I assume) gave me free pre check years ago. Does this mean I will lose it?

Maybe they did. Maybe they did not.

My wife has zero status with Delta. Has been getting precheck for years. I am silver.

Neither of us has status with Southwest. Have been getting precheck for years when flying them - at least 95% of the time.

I do not think either airline "gave it to us".

(we did buy GE two years ago and now that gets us precheck)

ekozie Jan 28, 2017 7:34 am

Off topic a bit, I don't like these line dragons. They're not TSA and so have less legal standing to enforce rules than any other random airport employee.

I've seen a mixed bag. At RDU, they seem to be more informational and by request to help folks find the right line. I don't think I've showed them my BP once. JFK T4 will absolutely not let anyone in the line without checking BPs, but will happily make recommendations on whether Priority or Precheck is faster. I've seen some more stringent checkers, too that will force into Precheck if its on the BP.

CarmenOM Jan 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Those line dragons are paid a whole lot less than TSA agents. I'd rather deal with some incompetence than have my tax dollars paying TSA agents to guard the line entrances.

Psyduck1 Jan 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Off topic a bit, I don't like these line dragons. They're not TSA and so have less legal standing to enforce rules than any other random airport employee.

At MSP the line dragon was physically blocking the priority line. I said excuse me and he told me that regular people go over there, pointing at the main line. I said that I have Sky Priority and he asked to see my boarding pass. I guess I should have presented it in the first place, but I still wasn't crazy about how he handled it.

Often1 Jan 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Not sure why people are so insecure that they can't handle a person doing a simple job which benefits the people who do belong in the line and saves those who don't belong in the line a hassle as well.

Whatever it is that "qualifies" you for the line, you presumably have a BP with the correct notice on it, e.g. Pre-Check. You are going to need that document, electronic or paper, in 10-15 seconds for the TSA Officer and having it read for the line monitor is hardly an imposition.

Keeping people out of the line who don't belong in the line keeps it moving. Nothing worse than jamming up the Pre-Check line with someone who slips through and is now arguing at the podium about this or that.

Of course, if you're really that important, it doesn't matter who is behind you.

Zorak Jan 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 27830903)
Not sure why people are so insecure that they can't handle a person doing a simple job which benefits the people who do belong in the line and saves those who don't belong in the line a hassle as well.

This. Or at least, anyone who complains about gate lice and GAs not enforcing zones, should not then complain about security line dragons asking to see BPs :p

That being said, I don't think it's their job to prevent you from opting to use a non-PreCheck lane even if you are qualified for PreCheck.

BenA Jan 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 27828071)
As a reminder, Delta (and all airlines) have never been able to grant PreCheck status. Airlines merely funneled your info to the TSA, and the TSA made a decision. The TSA is now changing their program. Airlines are just the middleman. I hope that makes sense, because the DYKWIAs who yell at me for personally revoking their PreCheck don't get it ;)

DL may not choose who's included, but they can make mistakes that break PreCheck, though. I've had a few ticketing snafus that drop my middle name from my reservation, and that is a guaranteed one-way ticket to SSSSadness :(