FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1817885-tsa-plans-limit-precheck-enrolled-trusted-travelers.html)

Widgets Jan 26, 2017 11:09 am

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

While this applies to all airlines, this affects Delta frequent fliers. Starting February 2017, the TSA will stop all free access to PreCheck. Previously, the TSA has granted free access to airline frequent fliers and to other passengers randomly. Since the TSA feels that enough paid subscribers have enrolled, they're finally ready to restrict PreCheck to only paid subscribers. I think this is great for the subscribers since they'll see fewer clueless travelers who slow down the line. If you haven't enrolled in a trusted traveler program, go ahead and start.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...-precheck.aspx

Edit: It's March 1 and non-TT passengers are still getting PreCheck, but there have been a lot of frequent fliers to fly without PreCheck for the first time in a long time.

readywhenyouare Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am

Good to hear.

jdrtravel Jan 26, 2017 11:25 am

As though frequent flyers don't already give the TSA enough money through taxes. A pax who flies 25 round trips a year is paying $280 in 9/11 security fees.

zitsky Jan 26, 2017 11:44 am

As someone with no status, it was nice to go through the Pre line the one time I was sent through it. I didn't mean to slow down everyone else. :(

Fleck Jan 26, 2017 11:46 am

Yes! Great news (if real).

KevinDTW Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

I agree this is good news, but hasn't TSA announced several times in the past that there would be no more free PreCheck and then ended up walking it back?

Howste Jan 26, 2017 11:51 am

But they really, really mean it this time...

jrl767 Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 27821245)
While this applies to all airlines, this affects Delta frequent fliers. Starting February 2017, the TSA will stop all free access to PreCheck. ... I think this is great for the subscribers since they'll see fewer clueless travelers who slow down the line. If you haven't enrolled in a trusted traveler program, go ahead and start.

while the odds are that most who pony up are relatively frequent travelers, I wouldn't necessarily generalize that "paid for PreCheck" =/= "clueless"

GRALISTAIR Jan 26, 2017 11:56 am

Bad news for me. I got it but cant get Pre because not a US citizen

Widgets Jan 26, 2017 11:57 am

Originally Posted by KevinDTW (Post 27821465)
I agree this is good news, but hasn't TSA announced several times in the past that there would be no more free PreCheck and then ended up walking it back?

I've seen news that selection won't be random or as frequent, but this is the first time I've seen a hard cutoff.

Widgets Jan 26, 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27821497)
while the odds are that most who pony up are relatively frequent travelers, I wouldn't necessarily generalize that "paid for PreCheck" =/= "clueless"

I think paid subscribers should be more familiar with the rules since they took the time to sign up.

jrl767 Jan 26, 2017 11:59 am

my point was more that "not everyone who travels only 1x or 2x a year is clueless"

pvn Jan 26, 2017 12:00 pm

how many people were still getting this for free? I thought they ended this program a couple of years ago.

GRALISTAIR Jan 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 27821530)
how many people were still getting this for free? I thought they ended this program a couple of years ago.

I was - virtually all the time

OHDL1 Jan 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 27821327)
As though frequent flyers don't already give the TSA enough money through taxes. A pax who flies 25 round trips a year is paying $280 in 9/11 security fees.

So...an extra $0.68 per trip shouldn't be a big ask. Should it?