FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1817885-tsa-plans-limit-precheck-enrolled-trusted-travelers.html)

FlagrantViola Jan 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints (Post 27844365)
So easy and so cheap that as soon as more people sign up it will be a worthless $85 tax.

Please.
Look at all of the back and forth that people here (presumably frequent travelers) have on the topic.
You really think the vast majority of people wandering about airports are going to figure it out?

BenA Jan 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 27845595)
Interesting. Why don't people just get Nexus instead of GE if it's cheaper if they live in a city near the border? I may apply now since it gets me GE.

Not sure if my credit card pays for Nexus though, they will pay for GE and Precheck

Thr main reasons are scheduling, because there are months long waits for interviews at some centers; inadmissibility to Canada, primarily due to a past DUI; and confusion over the program or lack of publicity around the benefits of NEXUS. As you mention, some may also be eligible for a reimbursement of Global Entry fees that might not apply to NEXUS.

If you're eligible and can do the interview, though, there's really no reason not to. It can open up some wonderful possibilities; for example, I've been habitually flying out of YVR for lower business class airfares to take advantage of the weak Canadian dollar...

Carl Johnson Jan 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 27846021)
Thr main reasons are scheduling, because there are months long waits for interviews at some centers; inadmissibility to Canada, primarily due to a past DUI; and confusion over the program or lack of publicity around the benefits of NEXUS. As you mention, some may also be eligible for a reimbursement of Global Entry fees that might not apply to NEXUS.

If you're eligible and can do the interview, though, there's really no reason not to. It can open up some wonderful possibilities; for example, I've been habitually flying out of YVR for lower business class airfares to take advantage of the weak Canadian dollar...

I guess there's only one U.S. center that's not right on the border, and that's in Seattle. Not having NEXUS doesn't make it impossible to fly from YVR, but it certainly makes it easier. My wife is using miles for a biz ticket on CX out of YVR and we're planning to drive up there the night before. We're not anticipating being caught in a jam at the border.

We got a random secondary once, northbound.

Another benefit is, we always go to the duty free shop to go to the restroom before departing from Canada, and their parking lot exit goes into the NEXUS lane. If you don't have NEXUS you HAVE to fight your way over into the next lane or you will get a substantial fine when you get to the checkpoint without being able to show your card. Somebody honked at us once, to alert us, but because we had our cards we didn't have to worry about it.

ND76 Jan 31, 2017 4:00 pm

My wife is a GM without paid pre-check or global entry, and she got pre-check for tomorrow's flight out of PHL.

thesaints Jan 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola (Post 27845931)
Please.
Look at all of the back and forth that people here (presumably frequent travelers) have on the topic.
You really think the vast majority of people wandering about airports are going to figure it out?

Figure out what ?

ekozie Feb 1, 2017 5:58 am

Anyone have a date for when Managed Inclusion II is scheduled to end? Precheck at RDU this morning was three times as long as regular security.

TommyD2 Feb 1, 2017 6:54 am

Data point.

Just checked in for flights for tomorrow - domestic flight then connect to international. I'm DM with paid-for pre-check, wife has no status, no paid-for pre-check. She did get on her BP.

So does February mean 'some time in February' or was it supposed to mean Feb 1?

ekozie Feb 1, 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by TommyD2 (Post 27849044)
So does February mean 'some time in February' or was it supposed to mean Feb 1?

Based on my data point, sometime in Febuary. Then again, pre-ordered meals were supposed to mean 'some time in 2016.'

FlagrantViola Feb 2, 2017 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints (Post 27846678)
Figure out what ?

Like I said, most people can't figure it out.

Fleck Feb 2, 2017 1:30 pm

Confirmed good news.

“Starting early February 2017, TSA will significantly reduce access to [TSA PreCheck] expedited screening for non-enrolled travelers,” TSA spokesman Mike England told CNBC in an emailed statement.

“In the future, we intend to only have enrolled or pre-vetted passengers, or those screened by K9s, in the expedited screening lane,” England says.

miraclebear2003 Feb 2, 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fleck (Post 27856313)
Confirmed good news.

I don't consider that "good news". My wife and I are very happy with the way things have been.

thesaints Feb 2, 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola (Post 27855776)
Like I said, most people can't figure it out.

"It" being... ?

pa3lsvt Feb 2, 2017 5:31 pm

So we can look forward to K9 Managed Inclusion?

Fleck Feb 2, 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt (Post 27857551)

I thought that a little strange myself. I don't want to venture a guess.

Still, February looks to be the beginning of the end for managed obstruction as we know it. Here's to you, TSA!

mnbp Feb 2, 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt (Post 27857551)

Originally Posted by Fleck (Post 27857597)
I thought that a little strange myself. I don't want to venture a guess.

Still, February looks to be the beginning of the end for managed obstruction as we know it. Here's to you, TSA!

That's what happened last year.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/0...es-msp-airport

March 8, 2016
The Transportation Security Administration is stepping up overtime, wrapping up new training and adding an additional bomb sniffing dog at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to cut wait times at security checkpoints.