FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1817885-tsa-plans-limit-precheck-enrolled-trusted-travelers.html)

skchin Jan 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 27821507)
Bad news for me. I got it but cant get Pre because not a US citizen

Maybe it's time to be American, plus $1500 in fees.

Start_at_UIN Jan 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 27821732)
Awesome news. The PreCheck line at STL is almost always longer than the regular line excluding peak travel days/times.

It'll be nice not having so many clueless kettles bottlenecking the line.

Last Friday @ 5:30AM it was crazy....and then the TSA agent stood up and told everyone "This line is for PreCheck ONLY" and about 15 kettles had to walk around.

Start_at_UIN Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm

I wonder if this will effect my family when travelling with me? As it is now, the Mrs and Kids get Pre when we travel, I always assumed based of me.

TheMadBrewer Jan 26, 2017 3:24 pm

She Who Must Be Obeyed has gotten PreCheck nearly 100% of the time on Her 3-4 flights a year. She has had a SkyMiles account for 20+ years but only had status for about 14 months when I once gifted Her GM.

JBJ2435 Jan 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 27822082)
I don't believe PreCheck has ever been granted randomly.

Yes, it was...granted to my ex husband and he was the last person you would want to be behind in lines... ;)

Saj8986 Jan 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 27821537)
I was - virtually all the time

Same.....I can't remember the last time I didn't get TSA Pre. If I have to pay for it I will as it does help. Sure wish Clear would ramp up quicker.

mnbp Jan 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 27822283)
Tried and was denied for reasons unknown. They said I did not qualify. :(

Hmmm, that's odd. This November 2015 press release sure makes it sound like UK citizens are eligible for Global Entry.

CBP Announces the Expansion of Global Entry to UK Citizens

mpheels Jan 26, 2017 5:00 pm

There was a period of time when the TSA would station an agent with an ipad at the entrance to the ID check line. They ran an app that displayed an image of an arrow. Most of the time, the arrow pointed to the regular line. Sometimes it pointed to PreCheck. It was basically a rudimentary slot machine, with the payout of free PreCheck for a set proportion of passengers.

Fa Hz Jan 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Well, i guess its good news after all for those who already have it

Scott H Jan 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Awesome news in my opinion

SamuelS Jan 26, 2017 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 27821507)
Bad news for me. I got it but cant get Pre because not a US citizen

You don't have to be a US Citizen. Permanent Residents of many countries, including Canada, United Kingdom, Netherlands, and I think South Korea even - can get Pre through Global Entry equivalency with Nexus, Privium etc.

bennos Jan 26, 2017 5:44 pm

So to clear up this eligibility discussion...
  • To apply for Pre-√ directly via TSA, you must be either a citizen or an LPR (green card holder), so being a US citizen is not strictly speaking a requirement.
  • GE, NEXUS, and SENTRI all include Pre-√, and eligibility for GE and NEXUS includes certain foreign nationals. If approved, they are eligible for Pre-√.
  • UK citizens are eligible for GE (and in fact US citizens are eligible for the UK Registered Traveller program). I believe GRALISTAIR was saying he was turned down for GE, not that UK citizens are ineligible.

peachy_ Jan 26, 2017 6:49 pm

As a Platinum leisure traveler, I was offered the opportunity to opt in to PreCheck when it began, which I did. Given that it seems rather unfair to take it away, I will gladly pay for the privilege if I must.

nichelle Jan 26, 2017 8:28 pm

This is fine by me. I went through the south pre-check line at MSP this morning. After watching a man walk through while holding a large cup of coffee, two other passengers go through with phones in their pockets and another with metal in his shoes, the TSA agent became visibly frustrated.

He raised his voice, pointed and said "This detects metal!"

DCFinanceinFlight Jan 26, 2017 8:42 pm

As a data point, when my Dad has traveled with me on the same reservation, he has been granted PreCheck.