Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

So I mistakenly booked an E class ticket, and now would like to fly earlier in the day if possible. But apparently E class doesn't allow ANY changes no matter what, not even the same day. Does anyone know if there's any way around this? I thought they made you click through some Basic Economy disclaimers, but I honestly don't remember seeing them. If I called in, is it possible someone would help me, or would they see E class and shut it down completely?

I can make the original flight if I need to, but it seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't let you pay to change (and fare difference) flights, especially same day. If you're paying the fare difference and a change fee, what are they gaining by restricting it?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Nope... just a horrible ticket..
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by puck71
So I mistakenly booked an E class ticket, and now would like to fly earlier in the day if possible. But apparently E class doesn't allow ANY changes no matter what, not even the same day. Does anyone know if there's any way around this? I thought they made you click through some Basic Economy disclaimers, but I honestly don't remember seeing them. If I called in, is it possible someone would help me, or would they see E class and shut it down completely?

I can make the original flight if I need to, but it seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't let you pay to change (and fare difference) flights, especially same day. If you're paying the fare difference and a change fee, what are they gaining by restricting it?
The gain is not necessarily with this one ticket...it's in the hundreds/thousands of people who spend the extra $10-50 to buy the non E class tickets.

It's doubtful you'll get any relief over the phone. Your best bet may be the airport. But honestly you're probably looking at a 1% chance on the phone and a 10% at the airport
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
They're trying to extract an extra $10-30 from you on all your future tickets because of your bad memories of this one.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Did you buy the ticket just today? If so, I believe even E tickets have 24-hour cancellation (really midnight of the day after booking).

During the reservation process on delta.com the E fares are in a separate column from other main cabin fares. If you select an E fare a large pop-up window tells you the restrictions and has you check an acknowledgement.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Dec 17, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same-day change requires original bucket inventory to be available. It's not like your chances would have been all that good even if you had upfared to a V fare. You could have maybe done stand-by (as long as routing is exactly the same), but there are no guarantees there either.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

No I didn't just book today unfortunately. I just didn't know they had a fare class this bad, so even if they popped up a big box I figured it was their regular terms, not special Basic Economy terms. The good news is the flight WILL work, just not as well as one earlier in the day. I may just show up at the airport and see what I can do. I love Delta, but I'll sure pay more attention next time.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would remember to read the disclaimers at purchase. They are pretty difficult to miss. Live and learn.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have issues with DL's disclosures, particularly with hiding full fare rules and making them impossible to get unless saved as part of booking.

But here they are doing it right. Not only is Y- a separate column, but the warning box that pops is modal (it deactivates the rest of the page) so can not be ignored.

Feel sorry for OP, but agree that he is just plain out of luck (borrowing a miracle).
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
They gain more $$ by you buying a whole new ticket or not using the one you did purchase (if they oversell). That's the point of nonrefundable, they gain in the breakage of the ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
If the flight is far in the future, maybe you can hope for a schedule change?
Feel your pain, I have been paying extra for avoiding the E fares.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If you booked this today, you're still covered under the DOT risk-free 24 hour cancellation. Either go online and try to cancel the ticket or if that won't work, call DL and do it over the phone.

Edit: never mind - saw your follow-up that this wasn't booked today.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If there's any delay or schedule change jump on it immediately - that might be the only thing that will help you here.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Just a bump to update with my results. I didn't call or anything in advance (I didn't think my chances over the phone would warrant my time), but I did show up at the airport many hours early. I asked outside security and no dice. Went through security and asked two more people with no luck. The system wouldn't allow it. But the next person I talked to was able to get me on standby for the next flight. The standby boarding pass still had fare class E.

So my conclusion is that agents aren't supposed to do it, and their standard computer system won't allow them to do it, but it can be done using their other computer system. I wouldn't recommend trying it though, in an effort to save a few bucks. If you think you may need the flexibility of flying standby or making other changes, book a fare class that allows it.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....So my conclusion is that agents aren't supposed to do it, and their standard computer system won't allow them to do it, but it can be done using their other computer system....
Thank you for coming back to update us. :-:^

Looks like DL reservation and check in system won't allow E fare standby yet the gate agent system allows it. Yes, I concur that it is not worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.