Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm surprised no one suggested upfaring to F in advance if the cost was semi-reasonable. Isn't that possible without a fee on any revenue ticket? Yes, I realize "paid upgrades" are precluded, but isn't upfaring treated differently?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I accidentally booked an E Fare once on our AMEX work travel system and didn't realize it in the free cancellation period. I called the diamond line and was able to move up to the next fare class. I had to pay for the difference, it was under 60 bucks, and I now always check
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I should have added to the above that she made a one time exception as the AMEX system does not have the same disclaimers as the Delta system.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm surprised no one suggested upfaring to F in advance if the cost was semi-reasonable. Isn't that possible without a fee on any revenue ticket? Yes, I realize "paid upgrades" are precluded, but isn't upfaring treated differently?
Basic Economy doesn't even allow for paying to upgrade to First Class.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak

Any up fare is A ticket change. Not allowed per the rules.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Accidentally booked a Basic Economy Ticket

So this is for my dad. He has a speaking engagement in March in Minneapolis and the inviting party wanted to buy him his ticket, so he told them to buy it on Delta and gave them his FF #. Well they bought a ticket through Expedia, and on top of that it was an E fare ticket. Is it possible to change this to a main cabin ticket? He is a Gold medallion and he doesn't want to lose out on all his elite benefits and the Upgrade chances as well as not being able to select an aisle seat up front now. Sadly the ticket is past the 24 hour mark as he hadn't checked his email till today and they bought it two days ago. Not sure if this is changeable now?

p.s. What exactly do medallions miss out on while flying on a BE Ticket?

Thank you

Last edited by jonathanbak; Jan 31, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
My Dad made this mistake once -- I called them and they allowed me to "upgrade" the ticket for just the additional cost without a change fee.

Delta is generally very good about things like this
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
My Dad made this mistake once -- I called them and they allowed me to "upgrade" the ticket for just the additional cost without a change fee.

Delta is generally very good about things like this
It doesn't surprise me that Delta would be good about this, but the ticket was purchased through Expedia, not Delta. Since they issued the ticket, wouldn't that complicate the upgrade to a regular economy fare?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
It doesn't surprise me that Delta would be good about this, but the ticket was purchased through Expedia, not Delta. Since they issued the ticket, wouldn't that complicate the upgrade to a regular economy fare?
Yes, that was what I was afraid of. Expedia claims they can't change it, my dad called them. And I was under the impression delta doesn't touch 3rd party bookings.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:33 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
p.s. What exactly do medallions miss out on while flying on a BE Ticket?

Thank you
Advanced seat assignments
Ability to change flights
Medallion upgrades

Basic Economy fares are not eligible for paid or complimentary upgrades, paid, complimentary or discounted Delta Comfort+, paid or complimentary Preferred Seats and are not eligible to make ticket changes including Same-Day Confirmed or Same-Day Standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ions-faqs.html
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
Yes, that was what I was afraid of. Expedia claims they can't change it, my dad called them. And I was under the impression delta doesn't touch 3rd party bookings.
In the past, DL charged me around $75 to "take over" the ticket from a travel agency. That might be possible.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
How long is the flight?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Chalk it up as a mistake, and then submit to the points guy. Maybe your story will get selected as "reader mistake story" and you will get the gift card they send for using your story to help out with the crappy deal he got
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
sorry missed that part. nothing good comes from booking using those online agencies (expedia, orbitz, etc..)

Good luck
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, Expedia can't do anything with it since they are bound by the ticket rules which are no changes now, and no seat assignment and no upgrades.

You could call Delta and explain the mistake and maybe they'll take over the ticket... but as somebody above mentioned you'll have to pay a fee for them to take back control of the ticket, plus fare difference to a normal fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.