Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need advise please - my DL e-gift cards are drained ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; 2MM

Last week I tried to use some of my 12 valid Delta $50 gift cards - leftover from my larger purchase - to book a flight, as I have done many times this year.
To my surprise my DL account showed a ticket number attached to the first GC that I could not trace. After trying more of the gift cards, more ticket numbers popped up for flights that I could not place anywhere and that was the only info I could retrieve from my account.
I called the Delta D-desk to inquire and was transferred promptly to someone in the RPU. She seemed to make a report, did not want to give her name or number and told me I would be contacted.
During this process we discovered that 6 GC's were used for future flights. She asked me if I knew the names of the passengers on the tickets (obviously I did not), but would not elaborate on itineraries or any other relevant information.
4 Other GC's were apparently already used and she declined to reveal any other info about this.
Even some 3 of the GC's that I used for my own ticket - and later cancelled - were apparently used.
2 of the 12 GC's remained open.
So, effectively in total $500 of my GC's were used.

The only remark, after pressing her for more details was that this is an unusual high number - normally they seem to deal with perhaps one or two e-cert/e-gifts or other items missing in a person's SM wallet.
And no, I'm sure my SM-account was not compromised and neither was my email account where the GC's were confirmed as purchase.
Since then I have not heard back.

Is there perhaps anyone out there that was/is in a similar situation ?
And what would be the next step to proceed ?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Last week I tried to use some of my 12 valid Delta $50 gift cards - leftover from my larger purchase - to book a flight, as I have done many times this year.
To my surprise my DL account showed a ticket number attached to the first GC that I could not trace. After trying more of the gift cards, more ticket numbers popped up for flights that I could not place anywhere and that was the only info I could retrieve from my account.
I called the Delta D-desk to inquire and was transferred promptly to someone in the RPU. She seemed to make a report, did not want to give her name or number and told me I would be contacted.
During this process we discovered that 6 GC's were used for future flights. She asked me if I knew the names of the passengers on the tickets (obviously I did not), but would not elaborate on itineraries or any other relevant information.
4 Other GC's were apparently already used and she declined to reveal any other info about this.
Even some 3 of the GC's that I used for my own ticket - and later cancelled - were apparently used.
2 of the 12 GC's remained open.
So, effectively in total $500 of my GC's were used.

The only remark, after pressing her for more details was that this is an unusual high number - normally they seem to deal with perhaps one or two e-cert/e-gifts or other items missing in a person's SM wallet.
And no, I'm sure my SM-account was not compromised and neither was my email account where the GC's were confirmed as purchase.
Since then I have not heard back.

You're going to need to give them sometime to investigate. They'll also possibly need to contact and work with the police based on the amount that you report missing. GC's unfortunately are cash like, and there's generally nothing that you can do other then hope the merchant takes mercy and gives you credit. Calling and pestering them therefore isn't likely to get anything done quickly or in your favor. I'd give them at least 2 weeks from contacting them before calling back. By that point they should have at least an idea of what possibly happened.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by Travelomania
This issue was presented on NBC's Nightly News yesterday. Find and check out that article. Solutions mentioned, too.

Wait ... it was easy to find:

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...n-772200515553
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
It doesn't matter if your Gmail account is secure. Email is sent unencrypted and so can be intercepted at any point in the transmission. DL shouldn't be sending cash-like codes "in the clear" so the right thing for them to do--once they verify that they were stolen--is to issue new GCs.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
This issue was presented on NBC's Nightly News yesterday. Find and check out that article. Solutions mentioned, too.

Thanks for the link - it's very frustrating and the sole reason I hardly purchase any gift cards.

However, one would expect that DL e-gift-card numbers used for my own DL flight that was cancelled, would be available again in my own SM-wallet ?
Unfortunately, these 3 GC's were also used apparently.
Go figure and who knows how that is even possible ?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but a very similar experience recently happened to me.

An e-Gift Card code I tried to use was "invalid." I called on 8/9 and the CSR was able to see that a person I never heard of used the gift card to fly between MIA and ATL last September. Her manager submitted a fraud claim for me, and the manager indicated that it shouldn't be an issue to get it resolved.

I never heard anything back after 3 weeks, so I just called in again. I was told that "Corporate Security" deemed the matter closed on 8/21 without notifying me, because "gift cards have no value if lost or stolen."

Considering my email has not shown any other signs of being compromised since this card was used a year ago, it's very unlikely that the code was stolen from my data. And Delta has the full information of the person who used it, but seems either unwilling to investigate or unwilling to help me benefit from any action they take. They didn't even feel I was worthy of being notified. Today's CSR was sympathetic but effectively offered no alternatives.

Has anyone else had a better resolution to a similar situation? If so, what action did you take?

Thank you.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh

This seems to be about gift cards purchased from store shelves, which generally wouldn't apply to DL gift cards.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This seems to be about gift cards purchased from store shelves, which generally wouldn't apply to DL gift cards.
Physical DL gift cards can be found in grocery stores, office supply, Best Buy, hardware stores, ...
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by knicknut
Sorry to bump an old thread, but a very similar experience recently happened to me.

An e-Gift Card code I tried to use was "invalid." I called on 8/9 and the CSR was able to see that a person I never heard of used the gift card to fly between MIA and ATL last September. Her manager submitted a fraud claim for me, and the manager indicated that it shouldn't be an issue to get it resolved.

I never heard anything back after 3 weeks, so I just called in again. I was told that "Corporate Security" deemed the matter closed on 8/21 without notifying me, because "gift cards have no value if lost or stolen."

Considering my email has not shown any other signs of being compromised since this card was used a year ago, it's very unlikely that the code was stolen from my data. And Delta has the full information of the person who used it, but seems either unwilling to investigate or unwilling to help me benefit from any action they take. They didn't even feel I was worthy of being notified. Today's CSR was sympathetic but effectively offered no alternatives.

Has anyone else had a better resolution to a similar situation? If so, what action did you take?

Thank you.
Point out the card wasnt stolen. DL applying the funds and thus the funds being stolen doesnt equal the card was stolen.

If the continue with this line, file a police report for theft. DL will have to assist when police contact for info.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Point out the card wasnt stolen. DL applying the funds and thus the funds being stolen doesnt equal the card was stolen.

If the continue with this line, file a police report for theft. DL will have to assist when police contact for info.
Thanks for the response. Yes, they continue to quote me "The ticket was purchased via http://delta.com and the purchaser would have needed the gift card number and redemption code to be redeemed" which I guess is supposed to carry the dual implication that their security is infallible because "they had the code!" and therefore I must have been reckless with it.

I feared your second line -- at that point I feel like I'm just wasting my own time with local police for the sole purpose of wasting Delta's time. Given this "theft" apparently occurred a year ago, I'm not sure how keen they will be to cooperate.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
What’s the point of buying these gift cards? I can understand how some people may want to provide as a gift to some but wouldn’t a gift in the form of cash be better? As a recipient, I would rather have the flexibility of spending the gift on what I would prefer. Wouldn’t cash be the most versatile gift?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by cre95
What’s the point of buying these gift cards? I can understand how some people may want to provide as a gift to some but wouldn’t a gift in the form of cash be better? As a recipient, I would rather have the flexibility of spending the gift on what I would prefer. Wouldn’t cash be the most versatile gift?
Up until recently, $50 Delta gift cards triggered the annual $200 Amex Platinum incidental airline credits.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Up until recently, $50 Delta gift cards triggered the annual $200 Amex Platinum incidental airline credits.
However, those needed to be purchased directly from DL and most/all of us did this through the DL website. There was no physical card, just an email with some numbers. IIRC they never appeared in one's DL account and needed to be retrieved from the email which was generated at the time of purchase..
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by cre95
Some credit cards give 4x/5x/6x on grocery store purchases, where you can buy delta gift cards.

Your overall comment about the value of gift cards as gifts is definitely for a different omni thread.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.