Wiki Posts
Search

New to Frequent Flier Miles Game

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
New to Frequent Flier Miles Game

Would and one be willing to give me a quick write up on the ins and outs on earning MQM’s. I’m most concerned about MQM’s I own my own business and will be achieve the MQD waiver each year, I just need a little help navigating milage runs and how to use the Delta partner airlines. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If you own your own business, don't let loyalty cloud your judgment. Be a free agent and fly any and all airlines, not just Delta.
SDQBound and bloc0102 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
If you own your own business, don't let loyalty cloud your judgment. Be a free agent and fly any and all airlines, not just Delta.
It's not that simple, as airline status offers real tangible benefits of use to the self employed, including lots of fee waivers (bags, same day changes, preferred seats), priority support, etc. While each trip should be considered on its own, I tend to find (at least for domestic main cabin itineraries) that once I factor all of this in it rarely makes sense to free agent (not to mention DL's ability to actually get you there on time). International and premium cabin travel is a different story, and that's where I do tend to fly a much more diverse set of airlines.

OP's question is a bit vague... I'd suggest formulating a more specific question, or generally reading through the forum to get an overall sense of things. (eg: Flying Delta partners to earn MQM for MM status?)
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:40 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
If you’re talking about meeting the $250k waiver you can earn 100k MQM by spreading your spend across one each of the personal platinum, personal reserve, business platinum, and business reserve. In that case you’d be diamond after flying only 25k MQM in a year.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Masonfisher
Would and one be willing to give me a quick write up on the ins and outs on earning MQM’s. I’m most concerned about MQM’s I own my own business and will be achieve the MQD waiver each year, I just need a little help navigating milage runs and how to use the Delta partner airlines. Thanks in advance!

Ha ha, me too. Not the part about owning business, the part about how to earn MQMs as I am also new to this game. I found this super-confusing too because how you earn SkyMiles has almost nothing to do with MQMs.

Mostly you earn them by flying: roughly, 1 mile flown = 1 MQM. Class of fare affects the accrual: Discounted First gives a 1.5x multiplier, full fare First 2x. idk about Premium Select but rarely see those fares on my flights anyway. I think Delta One works the same as First for this purpose so PS likely the same too. idk if discounted Delta One even exists, and (purely hypothetically :-)I 'd hope to get the 2x multiplier given how much those seats cost.

However, most of my MQMs this year came from a Delta Reserve card - I got an MQM welcome bonus after meeting initial spend target and then more MQMs (called Miles Boost) after higher annual spending thresholds are reached. The Platinum card also does this, returning less MQMs for slightly lower spend, and there are Personal and Business versions of both Platinum and Reserve. Note these are Amex co-branded credit cards.

See also https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/ear...ithout-flying/

I understand that near year end you can buy yourself MQMs and MQDs to Elevate Your Status (TM), if you are close and want to get to the next Medallion level. The cost is disproportionately large vs getting them by flying, but I might wind up doing this as I'll be close to but not above Platinum. I don't fly for business, so travel is pretty predictable.

That's what I know so far :-) happy trails

Last edited by SteveTownsend; Sep 1, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
One more question, I understand that you are always accumulating miles for the next years status, I currently don’t have any status, say I meet the requirements for diamond in June of next year, do I have to wait till 2021 to begin using the benefits? Or do they start as soon as you meet the requirements?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
One more question, I understand that you are always accumulating miles for the next years status, I currently don’t have any status, say I meet the requirements for diamond in June of next year, do I have to wait till 2021 to begin using the benefits? Or do they start as soon as you meet the requirements?
Benefits are once you cross the thresholds in the qualifying year. So if you qualify in June 2020, you will have DM through the remainder of 2020, all of 2021, and through January 31, 2022.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
The benefits begin immediately upon your status being updated, and are good through the next year. IE if you meet Diamond in June 2020, you will be diamond until 1/31/2022. If you requalify again in 2021, status is extended until 1/31/2023.

Also, you'll gain the benefits of all the lower statuses as you qualify for them along the way.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Others have already clarified that status starts from the date you meet the requirement and go through the following year.

Note that to meet the requirements, it is based on meeting the MQM/MQD thresholds for the period in question which goes from Jan 1 to Dec 31 of each year. So, putting rollovers to the side, you would need to meet the MQM/MQD from Jan 1, 2020 to Jun 2020 - not an easy fit for getting the 125k miles and appropriate MQD.

Many road warriors do hit these thresholds early in the year but it isn’t common. Some even start the year with the MQM already met given rollovers by the way.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: DL PM
Aside from the prior notes on this, be aware that your MQMs will reset to 0 at the end of the calendar year if you have no Medallion status. If you reach Silver or higher, any MQM in excess of your Medallion level requirement roll over to the next year. e.g. if you reach Silver Medallion by end of 2019 and have 40000 MQMs for the year, you will Rollover over the 15000 in excess of the Silver 25000 requirement, starting 2020 with that stash in hand. If you have 24900 at the end of 2019, you will start 2020 with 0, barring acceptance of an Elevate Your Status offer to reach Silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.