Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Delta partners to earn MQM for MM status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

So I live in a city where there are lots of cheap MU flights to China. Unless I'm mistaken, flying with DL's partners such as MU and WS will earn me MQM. So how many of you guys fly MU a lot especially in J and then credit to DL?

Is it just me or that MU is the most generous carrier when it comes to awarding MQM? I was looking at MF and CI and they don't seem to be as generous as MU.

I'm looking at DL's chart for MU and let's say I'm going to purchase a deeply discounted economy fare with the fare code "T". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but T-fare will earn me 25% of the miles flown for RDM, but 100% of the miles flown for MQM? So if the total flight distance is 12,500 miles for round-trip, then MU will credit 12,500 MQM for million miler status?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
So I live in a city where there are lots of cheap MU flights to China. Unless I'm mistaken, flying with DL's partners such as MU and WS will earn me MQM. So how many of you guys fly MU a lot especially in J and then credit to DL?

Is it just me or that MU is the most generous carrier when it comes to awarding MQM? I was looking at MF and CI and they don't seem to be as generous as MU.

I'm looking at DL's chart for MU and let's say I'm going to purchase a deeply discounted economy fare with the fare code "T". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but T-fare will earn me 25% of the miles flown for RDM, but 100% of the miles flown for MQM? So if the total flight distance is 12,500 miles for round-trip, then MU will credit 12,500 MQM for million miler status?
T class earns 5% of the distance flown toward MQD but 100% toward MQM. Yes, 25% toward RDM (checked on a flight I had earlier in the year) plus bonus miles based on medallion status.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jul 31, 2019 at 1:08 pm Reason: correct mistake with MQD and RDM
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Unfortunately, most of DL's partners only earn a max of 100% MQM bonus. MU and KE seem to be the only Asian carriers which offer a higher MQM bonus.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eneq
Unfortunately, most of DL's partners only earn a max of 100% MQM bonus. MU and KE seem to be the only Asian carriers which offer a higher MQM bonus.
Not surprising given that DL has investments in both carriers and the ATI partnership deal with KE. You can see both carriers are in the first tier of carriers (formerly known as "Group 1") in the partners listing page. I would expect WS to move up to the first tier once ATI deal with DL is approved by US regulators.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
If you want the cheapest way to get MQMs, that's often MU to South-east Asia (not China). In my experience, sometimes the leg between south-east Asia and Shanghai are on B fare class, which nets 150% MQMs (e.g. I've done this through Singapore).

Also, they're dirt-cheap to fly and usually only have a single connection in Shanghai (which is behind the Chinese firewall...), if your city is serviced by MU.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Partner flights also earn MQD calculated differently which is a primary reason people deliberately pick certain partner flights in order to facilitate the earning of status.

OTOH one must check things very carefully. There are reports of people getting burned and not earning anything from purchased business class fares in O class (which is also used for award and upgrade inventory) and some deep discount coach tickets earn little if anything on certain carriers.
mot29 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Partner flights also earn MQD calculated differently which is a primary reason people deliberately pick certain partner flights in order to facilitate the earning of status.

OTOH one must check things very carefully. There are reports of people getting burned and not earning anything from purchased business class fares in O class (which is also used for award and upgrade inventory) and some deep discount coach tickets earn little if anything on certain carriers.
At least for AF/KL coded, O now earns.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
If you want the cheapest way to get MQMs, that's often MU to South-east Asia (not China). In my experience, sometimes the leg between south-east Asia and Shanghai are on B fare class, which nets 150% MQMs (e.g. I've done this through Singapore).

Also, they're dirt-cheap to fly and usually only have a single connection in Shanghai (which is behind the Chinese firewall...), if your city is serviced by MU.
Are you booking a "B" fare from the States/Canada to your final destination or just from Shanghai to your final destination?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by cjjones051
Are you booking a "B" fare from the States/Canada to your final destination or just from Shanghai to your final destination?
In my experience, usually the long leg books to a lower fare class (like S, which earns 50% RDMs, or T, which earns 25% RDMs), while the short leg books into B. This arrangement is common for U.S.-China and U.S.-Southeast Asia, though on occasion it will pop up in other regions (e.g. LAX-PVG-DEL).

On other flights though, they will only book to one fare class. My upcoming flights to MNL are booked in S/B and R/B, while I'm flying to DXB next year and it's booked entirely in fare class S.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can someone please confirm that my math is correct with the example above?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1

Yes you're right! I forgot to mention that. I've seen very low J prices all the way to Singapore! It is actually in my mind. My city is well served by MU, CA, CZ, and HU, which is why there are so many cheap Y and J fares to Asia.

Can you confirm that my plan to fly with MU or any of the other ST members will help with achieving million miler status? Yes, I know it's not worth much, but I want to make my flights count. Of all the ST carriers that I would want to credit my miles to, I think it'll be with DL.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

At the end of the day, especially if I purchase from a site that display the fare class, and assuming it's one that DL recognize for RDM and MQM purposes, I should get it regardless of how cheap the ticket is right?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Yes you're right! I forgot to mention that. I've seen very low J prices all the way to Singapore! It is actually in my mind. My city is well served by MU, CA, CZ, and HU, which is why there are so many cheap Y and J fares to Asia.

Can you confirm that my plan to fly with MU or any of the other ST members will help with achieving million miler status? Yes, I know it's not worth much, but I want to make my flights count. Of all the ST carriers that I would want to credit my miles to, I think it'll be with DL.
Yes, the MQM's earned on MU/AF/KLM count for MM status. My MM flight was a KLM flight.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
At the end of the day, especially if I purchase from a site that display the fare class, and assuming it's one that DL recognize for RDM and MQM purposes, I should get it regardless of how cheap the ticket is right?
If the fare class appears on the respective partner's chart at this site: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html then yes, you will receive the stated RDMs, MQMs, and MQDs.

As always, verify your Delta number displays on your boarding pass and keep them until credit posts. If credit does not post automatically you may need to submit for missing credit after the flight.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course. Fare class is what matters for percentage MQM and for percentage MQDs on partner flights, although there can be technicalities involving codeshares, etc.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.