Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX Red Coat wants more $ for confirmed pax with BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Red Coat wants more $ for confirmed pax with BP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Widgets, you seen like a great example of DL people, but this actually doesn't surprise me. While not every person, with each passing month I see DL front line becoming more antagonistic, passive-aggressive, outright hostile, and never mind the flow of misinformation and outright lies. I have no idea why this is happening, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's sad. DL's people were what made it such a pleasure to interact and fly with them.

Where before I was surprised when a DL person wasn't like that (a well-informed person who did their job with pleasure, and it showed), now I am surprised when a DL person is like that.
That definitely seems to be the case at major hubs now. I love the CVG staff (see the same faces all the time), but I've noticed a decline in the quality of staff at the other hubs (except for MSP of course).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is completely unacceptable. It is widely known that IROPS allows for any and all changes. I think I know which red coat you are talking about. If it's who I am thinking of, she walks around more like a cop than a high level customer service agent.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would agree. I actually report her back last year to customer service for doing something that shouldn't be done. They investigated and came back and agreed that she shouldn't have done what she did.
Given someone with this described stature and who is known to make errors, my bigger question is...why did the supervisor you escalated it to back her up? This person may be going rogue, and while she is higher than GAs, a Red Coat isn't really THAT high up in the org chart of a large hub like LAX.

I cannot fathom why the "D1 Director" thought this was ok, especially if the flight was going out with empty seats up front anyways (I assume it was if you didn't board, or that it went to someone using a RUC, another method of not "paying $2.5K" for it). That person needs serious discipline for this incorrect substantiation and for even broaching the subject of you being removed from the SkyClub.

I would have asked for the Ops Manager at the gate and insisted on it to embarrass this infantile Red Coat. Or called the DM desk and put it on speaker and allow them to ream her out (and that way, if she said crazy stuff, at least there is a chance that both DL recorded it, or a DL employee could vouch what this crazy person said and leave notes as to such in the PNR).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
This is an incredible story and I am really curious how and if DL will solve this.

It got me thinking though how D1 on JFK-LAX and other routes has changed things. In January of 2015 I was booked in Y on JFK-SLC-SMF and used a FCM offer to upgrade to first. A few weeks later one of the flights was changed causing a misconnect. I called (as a regular Skymiles member at the time) and asked if I could be put on JFK-LAX-SMF. This was no problem at all, and I enjoyed what I would consider D1 service on the JFK-LAX flight (and a rejected takeoff on the LAX-SMF flight, but that's another story). I presume that since it is now labeled D1 this would no longer be possible, right? I don't seem to recall when DL implement the change from FC to D1 on the JFK-LAX route.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Widgets, you seen like a great example of DL people, but this actually doesn't surprise me. While not every person, with each passing month I see DL front line becoming more antagonistic, passive-aggressive, outright hostile, and never mind the flow of misinformation and outright lies. I have no idea why this is happening, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's sad. DL's people were what made it such a pleasure to interact and fly with them.

Where before I was surprised when a DL person wasn't like that (a well-informed person who did their job with pleasure, and it showed), now I am surprised when a DL person is like that.
I agree. I've been having more frequent interactions or observations with rude frontline staff. The ones I personally know of are all transfers from the ramp or new hires. Senior ACS people can be bad or unhelpful, but not downright rude and nasty IME.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
She's always been a pain. I've had trouble and I've seen plenty of others have trouble with her before. She seems to think she knows every rule, is never wrong, and can do whatever see wants.

Her excuse was reservations will reserve whatever flight you want just because you ask. I said that's the point of IRROPS.
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Thats for confirming what I thought you would say widgets. Sounds like a score was trying to be settled with OP. The red coat made it personal and should be shown the door.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You mentioned running into this Red Coat before - is it possible it was personal based on a previous experience? If so, even more reason to terminate.
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Key sentence right there. I'd wager this was a personal vendetta of some sort.
I would agree. I actually report her back last year to customer service for doing something that shouldn't be done. They investigated and came back and agreed that she shouldn't have done what she did.
Ding, Ding, we have a winner as this looks like it was payback for you previously reporting her!

In your complaint letter to DL I would stress this point along with everything else.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
That definitely seems to be the case at major hubs now. I love the CVG staff (see the same faces all the time), but I've noticed a decline in the quality of staff at the other hubs (except for MSP of course).
You are definitely right about CVG. No one else compares to the employees there.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Dennis88

It got me thinking though how D1 on JFK-LAX and other routes has changed things....... This was no problem at all, and I enjoyed what I would consider D1 service on the JFK-LAX flight (and a rejected takeoff on the LAX-SMF flight, but that's another story). I presume that since it is now labeled D1 this would no longer be possible, right? I don't seem to recall when DL implement the change from FC to D1 on the JFK-LAX route.
Delta has offered premium (intercontinental style business class) service on this route for years now, I think going back to 2010. The only recent change was to re-brand it from BusinessElite to Delta One, along with all intercontinental business cabins. While upgrade policies for this route have changed several times, I don't think there has been any published special rules for IROPS.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Pay the up-charge and refund later

A risky strategy might be to pay the "up-charge" and request a refund from Delta after flying.

It took United two month to credit back a booked flight that they later dropped from their schedule. Personally, I wouldn't want to float that big of a charge on Amex even if i did get it refunded later.

OP, please keep us posted.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Ding, Ding, we have a winner as this looks like it was payback for you previously reporting her!

In your complaint letter to DL I would stress this point along with everything else.
+1MM. Hit it right on the head. She remembers you and was trying to get back at ya.

LAX Skyclub is the place I've had more problems with than any other one in the system, even being told that a RUC wouldn't move me up in the upgrade queue and arguing with me about how he knew how the upgrades worked. Flat out refused to attach it to the account. One call to the DM line and BAM, was #2 (for 2) and got the upgrade.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
A risky strategy might be to pay the "up-charge" and request a refund from Delta after flying.
A similar and related option would be to find the nearest restroom and start flushing your money down the toilet.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Yes, she feels that it's her duty to ensure that passengers pay what she feels is the correct amount, and doesn't care if Reservation or anyone else felt otherwise. I'm mean she flat out told me it's the job of Red Coats/TAs to collect additional money even if a ticket has been issued.
So did you make it back home via SAT?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bowgie

It took United two month to credit back a booked flight that they later dropped from their schedule. Personally, I wouldn't want to float that big of a charge on Amex even if i did get it refunded later.

OP, please keep us posted.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
A similar and related option would be to find the nearest restroom and start flushing your money down the toilet.
JDR, that really made me laugh. I was forced to do this once for the only flight that could get me somewhere, the Red Coat wouldn't budget, and it was less clear that money wasn't due as I hadn't been reticketed yet.

I paid it because I had no other option. Contacted CS after and they refunded it all plus additional (in the form of vouchers) to make up for the error. Definitely risky though.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
JDR, that really made me laugh. I was forced to do this once for the only flight that could get me somewhere, the Red Coat wouldn't budget, and it was less clear that money wasn't due as I hadn't been reticketed yet.

I paid it because I had no other option. Contacted CS after and they refunded it all plus additional (in the form of vouchers) to make up for the error. Definitely risky though.
Really glad to hear that you got a refund!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Call me silly, but I think a nifty IRROPS "enhancement" is coming our way. Really, really want to get home? Pay up.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Call me silly, but I think a nifty IRROPS "enhancement" is coming our way. Really, really want to get home? Pay up.
Granted you already can do this by saying "screw it" and take a refund and go buy a ticket on another airline, providing they have seats available and their flights are operating, but if an airline did this for IROPs on their own metal, I think you'd be on the verge of having riots in the airport and such a move would also likely be inviting some harsh DOT regulations on the practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.