Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Generally the DOD upgrade will be done at the baggage drop off desk. I had M fares so didn't have to buy up. On Asia flights like those 10+ hour flights from HKG etc i always used a GUC since imo it's good deal (northeast and southeast Asia upgrades to/from AMS requires 40.000 SkyMiles vs 25.000 SkyMiles on a TATL flight. Better to use miles on the TATL flights and GUC's on the Asia ones)

If you use a GUC on the DoD at DEL and your upgrade for the AMS-MSP isn't cleared it might already be closed/used by the time you arrive at AMS.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Generally the DOD upgrade will be done at the baggage drop off desk. I had M fares so didn't have to buy up. On Asia flights like those 10+ hour flights from HKG etc i always used a GUC since imo it's good deal (northeast and southeast Asia upgrades to/from AMS requires 40.000 SkyMiles vs 25.000 SkyMiles on a TATL flight. Better to use miles on the TATL flights and GUC's on the Asia ones)

If you use a GUC on the DoD at DEL and your upgrade for the AMS-MSP isn't cleared it might already be closed/used by the time you arrive at AMS.
It'll be closed as soon as ticket is reissued for first flight. However being closed doesn't mean it can't be used for the connecting flight. Agent just needs to reissue the ticket again once the next flight clears.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Good point! That means I need to make sure that the KLM agent at DEL is willing and able to process both upgrades (DEL-AMS & AMS-MSP) at the same time. I definitely do not want to redeem 2 GUCs for the trip.

Does anyone have any experience with doing anything remotely similar to what I am attempting to do? Or better still does anyone know how its done in their system so that I can potentially walk the agent through the steps in the very likely event that s/he doesn't know how to process the upgrade?

Originally Posted by Grouchy

Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Good point! That means I need to make sure that the KLM agent at DEL is willing and able to process both upgrades (DEL-AMS & AMS-MSP) at the same time. I definitely do not want to redeem 2 GUCs for the trip.

Does anyone have any experience with doing anything remotely similar to what I am attempting to do? Or better still does anyone know how its done in their system so that I can potentially walk the agent through the steps in the very likely event that s/he doesn't know how to process the upgrade?
See my post. Being closed does not prevent the GUC from being extended to the connecting flight. It's what allows you to choose to waitlist a DL LH flight, then later extend to connecting SH flights once LH clears.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:34 am

I hear you but isn't that the case when you have applied the GUC and are waiting for it to clear versus trying to apply it on DoD at the KLM counter or lounge?

I remember reading that a person travelling from JNB (IIRC) to the US via AMS had to end up redeeming 2 GUCs because the KLM agent at AMS was unable to apply a closed GUC to the AMS-US leg.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
See my post. Being closed does not prevent the GUC from being extended to the connecting flight. It's what allows you to choose to waitlist a DL LH flight, then later extend to connecting SH flights once LH clears.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I hear you but isn't that the case when you have applied the GUC and are waiting for it to clear versus trying to apply it on DoD at the KLM counter or lounge?

I remember reading that a person travelling from JNB (IIRC) to the US via AMS had to end up redeeming 2 GUCs because the KLM agent at AMS was unable to apply a closed GUC to the AMS-US leg.
It's doable. However some KLM agents don't know/understand how. Most I find do, those that don't can call their ticketing support for help.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:07 pm

Thanks! That's good to know that it's possible and not prohibited by the system. Although I am not holding my breath on a hassled KLM agent in DEL knowing how to do it.

My situation is a bit complicated. We are 3 people - wife (who is DM), our child and myself travelling from US to IND and we have already upgraded 2 of the passengers (wife and child) both ways from MSP-AMS-DEL and back using the 4 GUCs from the 2016 choice benefits that I selected in end-Jan 2017. I understand that DL will not allow a 3rd passenger to get upgraded using GUCs so am hoping that I could do that with a KLM agent who is less likely to know all about DL's rules and will simply apply the GUC in the event that there is any availability left. I havent made the 2017 Choice Benefits selection yet and will only do that once I have a reasonable shot at getting the upgrade.

Any suggestions on how to play this?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's doable. However some KLM agents don't know/understand how. Most I find do, those that don't can call their ticketing support for help.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Follow both flights with a seat inventory tool and if there is availability be there in time to apply that GUC in DEL and again in AMS.
If there is no availability close to departure no need to select those 2017 Choice benefits and print them out yet.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im showing 8 seats Z class upgrade with SWU on ExpertFlyer for DL-coded KL-operated flight. DL agent says no seats...so frustrated that they don't know how to process this. Is the agent right? or is ExpertFlyer right?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im showing 8 seats Z class upgrade with SWU on ExpertFlyer for DL-coded KL-operated flight. DL agent says no seats...so frustrated that they don't know how to process this. Is the agent right? or is ExpertFlyer right?
You see Z under the KLM flight number? Even though booked as DL, Z on the DL flight number isn't what is needed. Also are you searching the route as a whole. Ie JFK-JNB, not just AMS-JNB.

Give us the date, and whole routing we can help.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Booked Delta 9387 IAH-AMS and can't apply GUC despite Z being available!?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Booked Delta 9387 IAH-AMS and can't apply GUC despite Z being available!?
What date? Also is there any connections or just the obe flight?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL agent telling me KL requires Y,B, or M fare...yawn, this is getting so old. Why is this so hard!?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:43 pm

HUCA. I tracked inventory on expertflyer for a number of days till I firmed up my plans. Then when I was ready to book called the DM line, and first time around got an agent who gave me the same YBM crap. I simply said thank you and hung up not being in a mood to impart knowledge at that time. Second time around I asked clearly whether the agent knew how to apply GUCs to flights that had KLM segments and then proceeded to make the bookings and confirmed the upgrades all in one go. Took approx 45 mins or so but all was done in a single call. Gave the agent one of those appreciation certificates too.

DL agent telling me KL requires Y,B, or M fare...yawn, this is getting so old. Why is this so hard!?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, either HUCA or ask for someone with experience in it. It shouldn't be this hard, but... ah, airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.