Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Sort of what I figured. Like I mentioned, I've used GUCs on KLM flights on at least ten distinct occasions now over the years. Every time I've been rebooked into KL's Z class. Here's hoping that being rebooked on DL codeshares in Z doesn't cause any issues at checkin...
It does mean (unlikely though) that KLM cancels the upgrade.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Can you not get the KLM-operated AMS-ATL flight?

Also, I don't know your travel dates, but if you don't mind an additional connection (or if ATL isn't your final destination), there are some flights/dates where the AMS-XXX sector is operated by a not-yet-refurbished A330 which doesn't have a premium economy cabin, meaning you can go directly from Y to J. Probably less likely to find such a flight if your dates are in the distant future though.

And yes, you'd still call Delta to apply the GUC.
What dates? AMS/CDG are supposed to be all PS equipment
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It does mean (unlikely though) that KLM cancels the upgrade.
I know you said unlikely, but why would there be any risk at all with KLM cancelling it? Delta can do whatever they want with their class inventory on their marketed flights. As long as they reissue it and there’s a ticket behind its DL’s business not KLM‘s. I doubt KLM would even be able to see that it was an upgrade.

When I was flying on a GUC in Z on a Air France the Delta issued using Air France flight numbers last month, I talked to an AF agent that was extremely kind and knowledgable in Paris. She said that there’s no indication in Amadeus or Altea of what pnrs are Delta upgrades. They can look at the fare basis calc line and see that it mismatches to the class booked but there’s no other indication in their system that it’s an upgrade versus a revenue Z ticket. She said most airport staff don’t even know what a fare calc line even is.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Utskicat
I know you said unlikely, but why would there be any risk at all with KLM cancelling it? Delta can do whatever they want with their class inventory on their marketed flights. As long as they reissue it and there’s a ticket behind its DL’s business not KLM‘s. I doubt KLM would even be able to see that it was an upgrade.

When I was flying on a GUC in Z on a Air France the Delta issued using Air France flight numbers last month, I talked to an AF agent that was extremely kind and knowledgable in Paris. She said that there’s no indication in Amadeus or Altea of what pnrs are Delta upgrades. They can look at the fare basis calc line and see that it mismatches to the class booked but there’s no other indication in their system that it’s an upgrade versus a revenue Z ticket. She said most airport staff don’t even know what a fare calc line even is.
This is because the AF/KL system will see the coding for the GUC. Partner systems are designed to make sure upgrades are paid for correctly. In this case it is likely KLM won't get paid correctly due to DL error.

AF agent is incorrect. They can indeed see what is an upgrade. The fare basis get changed . Itll have something like XFLNR32/PU5xx shown once upgraded instead of just XFLNR32. This will tell system its an upgrade..
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
What dates? AMS/CDG are supposed to be all PS equipment
I don't know how far out into the future this is true, but there's no PS cabin on CDG-RDU/BOS/MSP/SEA or AMS-SEA on at least some days. I just used a GUC to go Y -> J on CDG-RDU for this August.
chunmin likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't know how far out into the future this is true, but there's no PS cabin on CDG-RDU/BOS/MSP/SEA or AMS-SEA on at least some days. I just used a GUC to go Y -> J on CDG-RDU for this August.
I thought BOS/MSP/SEA went to A339 for AMS/CDG? Forgot about RDU as they kept putting it off.

Are these routes lone daily service, or an added 2nd daily service due to demand?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I thought BOS/MSP/SEA went to A339 for AMS/CDG? Forgot about RDU as they kept putting it off.

Are these routes lone daily service, or an added 2nd daily service due to demand?
Varies. I didn't check exhaustively, but a quick glance suggests that (at least for this summer and fall)

-- CDG-RDU just doesn't have a PS cabin for any date that it's bookable. Same for CDG-CVG actually, might be the same aircraft operating it (CDG-CVG and CDG-RDU operate on non-overlapping days starting in August when they come back). Both are operated by a 76W.
-- CDG-SEA, MSP, and BOS all seem to be once daily on a 333. No PS cabin. I guess they're reallocating non-refurbished 333s to this route -- in contrast, CDG-ATL is on a 333 with a PS cabin for sale.
-- AMS-SEA is double daily. One is 339 with a PS cabin. One is 333 without.
-- AMS-PDX is daily on a 333. No PS cabin.

PS cabins show up on most of these later in late fall/early winter. The exception is CDG-RDU/CVG which is allocated to the 76W through EOS, and so should be eligible for Y --> J GUCs for most of that time (for example a search for CDG-RDU in March 2023 shows no PS cabin; a search for CDG-RDU in May 2023 does show a PS cabin).
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Varies. I didn't check exhaustively, but a quick glance suggests that (at least for this summer and fall)

-- CDG-RDU just doesn't have a PS cabin for any date that it's bookable. Same for CDG-CVG actually, might be the same aircraft operating it (CDG-CVG and CDG-RDU operate on non-overlapping days starting in August when they come back). Both are operated by a 76W.
-- CDG-SEA, MSP, and BOS all seem to be once daily on a 333. No PS cabin. I guess they're reallocating non-refurbished 333s to this route -- in contrast, CDG-ATL is on a 333 with a PS cabin for sale.
-- AMS-SEA is double daily. One is 339 with a PS cabin. One is 333 without.
-- AMS-PDX is daily on a 333. No PS cabin.

PS cabins show up on most of these later in late fall/early winter. The exception is CDG-RDU/CVG which is allocated to the 76W through EOS, and so should be eligible for Y --> J GUCs for most of that time (for example a search for CDG-RDU in March 2023 shows no PS cabin; a search for CDG-RDU in May 2023 does show a PS cabin).
Strange. I remember DL at one point even stated all Europe TATL (from hubs, not RDU/ MCO/the like) would have PS cabins this summer. I guess some issue prevented. Are 339 deliveries on track? Mods not moving at predicted rate?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
GUC Applied - KLM and DL Reservations not matching

Hello everyone-

I’ve been using up my GUCs with KLM-booked reservations over the next few months. With the new employees and lack of DM phone line, it’s been a challenge using them and getting them applied correctly even when Z class is clearly available. Typically when the GUC is applied, DL retickets the reservation with 006 stock and creates a DL PNR that mirrors KLM. In my experience, when this happens, both reservations match each other. In this case, I’m going LAX-AMS and AMS-ORD (both cleared) but the KLM reservation is still showing coach while the Delta side shows business class. Ive asked DL twice and they have told me this is a KLM issue and I ‘should’ be able to checkin. (I am pretty sure there will be an issue). I can’t get a hold of anyone on the KLM side - including WhatsApp and Twitter. Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I want to get this resolved before I leave in about a week.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I didn't even know you could use a GUC on a KLM-booked flight.

Why do that? Cheaper? Better MQMs? Not available on DL?

Forgive me for asking, but I find these machinations to be a bit technical. Clearly a lot of folks do it, and I wonder if I should consider it. Clearly the downside is the time on the phone convincing the airline employees to go along. I know there are threads about this, but I've never seen a straightforward explanation that I understood.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

Forgive me for asking, but I find these machinations to be a bit technical. Clearly a lot of folks do it, and I wonder if I should consider it. Clearly the downside is the time on the phone convincing the airline employees to go along. I know there are threads about this, but I've never seen a straightforward explanation that I understood.
Cost. Go with whichever is cheaper. Also AF/KL policies apply for rebooking since original ticket was theirs.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

Now you sound like the DL agents I talk to! You can upgrade from economy to business (until they implement premium economy) and I'm based in IAH so usually more convenient.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Now you sound like the DL agents I talk to! You can upgrade from economy to business (until they implement premium economy) and I'm based in IAH so usually more convenient.
Maybe flyertalk should be required reading for Delta/KLM/AF employees...
TechMarauder likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Hello everyone-

I’ve been using up my GUCs with KLM-booked reservations over the next few months. With the new employees and lack of DM phone line, it’s been a challenge using them and getting them applied correctly even when Z class is clearly available. Typically when the GUC is applied, DL retickets the reservation with 006 stock and creates a DL PNR that mirrors KLM. In my experience, when this happens, both reservations match each other. In this case, I’m going LAX-AMS and AMS-ORD (both cleared) but the KLM reservation is still showing coach while the Delta side shows business class. Ive asked DL twice and they have told me this is a KLM issue and I ‘should’ be able to checkin. (I am pretty sure there will be an issue). I can’t get a hold of anyone on the KLM side - including WhatsApp and Twitter. Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I want to get this resolved before I leave in about a week.
Are you sure there isn't a new KL PNR related to the new DL PNR that reflects Z class?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Hello everyone-

Are you sure the ticket has been reissued? If you click on the receipt in the Delta itinerary it should show Z class, if not it needs to be reissued by Delta. Don't just look at the fare code in the itinerary itself, you have to look at the receipt. If the receipt does show Z, I would call Delta and ask them to have the AF/KLM desk take a look at the ticket. They will be able to figure out what the issue is, because this is well beyond the skill level of the average Delta front-line agent. If it were my itinerary I'd be doing HUCA until I got that desk to fix the issue. If the KLM site shows an economy booking, odds are high you'll be flying economy when you check-in at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.