Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Only the original flights show up under the old KLM PNR. But it still looks like an active booking. Why shouldn't I try to cancel it? I have seat assignments, so at a minimum I'd think they'd want to free up the space if I won't be flying it.
Problem Is DL has taken control of active reservation and tucket. Playing with this reservation can cause issues with DL PNR and tge subsequent new KLM PNR. IT can basically send a cancel reservation request to DL PNR who then sends one to the 2nd KLM PNR.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
I've done this many times without any issues, but this is a new one for me today:
Checking for availability on a remaining KL-segment CPT-AMS - part of an itinerary of which de rest was already upgraded into Z class.
Agent is hesitant and responds: "You're flying from CeePeeTee and all flights need to be operated by Delta".
Me: "but how come my outbound and inbound flights - as you can see all on KLM - are upgraded to business in Z-class already ? - I am pretty sure Delta does not operate AMS-CPT-AMS"
Agent: "well ...... GUCs can only be used on Delta operated flights".
I did not want to wait for 55 minutes to talk to a supervisor.
HUCA : there was availability and it took less than 5 minutes to get the ticket re-issued.
David7 likes this.

Last edited by Travelomania; Aug 15, 2022 at 6:00 pm
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm assuming the answer is yes, but can you use GUCs on multi-city KLM itin's? For example, LAX-AMS-DAR and KGL-AMS-LAX?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eneq
I'm assuming the answer is yes, but can you use GUCs on multi-city KLM itin's? For example, LAX-AMS-DAR and KGL-AMS-LAX?
Yes.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes.
Thanks for the confirmation. Just a heads up for everyone else, I've been having a ton of trouble the past couple of days trying to use a GUC on a KLM RT in December because the flights are on 787s that have KL's new PE product. While the T&C's haven't been updated around the fare class needed for a Z upgrade on KLM, some of the agents I spoke with have said that I'm not eligible for a Z upgrade since I'm in economy
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
My partner and I purchased 2 r/t tickets (international) in February on KLM in economy V class with the intent of using 4 GUCs on them. Expert Flyer shows plenty of availability of Z upgrade space (3-9 seats on the different segments) for the married segments (2 segments each way). There was no Delta codeshares of these flights.

Agent said not possible at first; when I pushed back she then said she would contact her supervisor but said while she could see availability on the outbound flights, she saw 0 seats available on the return, so I declined to continue with her.

Is Expert Flyer not always accurate or do I just need to talk to a different agent?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Onwardandupwards
My partner and I purchased 2 r/t tickets (international) in February on KLM in economy V class with the intent of using 4 GUCs on them. Expert Flyer shows plenty of availability of Z upgrade space (3-9 seats on the different segments) for the married segments (2 segments each way). There was no Delta codeshares of these flights.

Agent said not possible at first; when I pushed back she then said she would contact her supervisor but said while she could see availability on the outbound flights, she saw 0 seats available on the return, so I declined to continue with her.

Is Expert Flyer not always accurate or do I just need to talk to a different agent?
Unless expert flyer is showing something low like Z1 then it’s correct. If they say they don’t see it then they’re probably looking at Delta codeshate flight numbe. Just cause you couldn’t find the Delta flt number doesn’t mean that they can’t. Their system generally defaults to the Delta codeshare number. The fact that the agent said you couldn’t do it to begin with is already a sign you need to hang up and start again.
Onwardandupwards likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Utskicat
Unless expert flyer is showing something low like Z1 then it’s correct. If they say they don’t see it then they’re probably looking at Delta codeshate flight numbe. Just cause you couldn’t find the Delta flt number doesn’t mean that they can’t. Their system generally defaults to the Delta codeshare number. The fact that the agent said you couldn’t do it to begin with is already a sign you need to hang up and start again.
So I just got off the phone with an agent who seemed to know exactly how to do this - she went right to the Joint Venture desk, while I stayed on hold of and on for nearly 2 hours (she did keep checking on me), only to tell me the exact same thing as yesterday's agent - that the outbound flights showed Z upgrade availability, but that their system showed no Z availability on the return, in spite of ExpertFlyer showing 9 seats available on each of 2 married segments on the return.

Could there be something going on with the new PE switchover that is causing havoc with Z upgrade availability, where Z shows in expert flyer but isn't really there? Or is there something else going on?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:59 pm

So I just got off the phone with an agent who seemed to know exactly how to do this - she went right to the Joint Venture desk, while I stayed on hold of and on for nearly 2 hours (she did keep checking on me), only to tell me the exact same thing as yesterday's agent - that the outbound flights showed Z upgrade availability, but that their system showed no Z availability on the return, in spite of ExpertFlyer showing 9 seats available on each of 2 married segments on the return.

Could there be something going on with the new PE switchover that is causing havoc with Z upgrade availability, where Z shows in expert flyer but isn't really there? Or is there something else going on?
There are couple couple things that could be going on. I have seen it before where agents book point-to-point even though they’re not suppose to. What does the inventory of the flights look like if you look them up point to point and not married? That could be one thing. I believe about a year ago I called on a weekend and I had a similar problem to you. I was able to speak the lingo with the agent. Granted I was talking directly to the joint venture desk without someone in between us. He said that he could see plenty of Z inventory but when he tried to book the segments, Air France’s system denied it after about 60 seconds of waiting for HK. he wondered if it could’ve possibly been because of pending schedule change. He said to call back in the week and have them try again. I called back the following Tuesday and the agents were able to book it just fine.

lastly, keep in mind if you’ve been calling this weekend you’re calling on a holiday weekend. Most of us who have done this quite a bit suggest ever calling on a weekend at all. Call in normal business hours Monday through Friday, not on holidays so you’re actually talking to agents that have enough seniority to work weekdays and know what they’re doing.
ebayj likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:28 pm

There are couple couple things that could be going on. I have seen it before where agents book point-to-point even though they’re not suppose to. What does the inventory of the flights look like if you look them up point to point and not married? That could be one thing. I believe about a year ago I called on a weekend and I had a similar problem to you. I was able to speak the lingo with the agent. Granted I was talking directly to the joint venture desk without someone in between us. He said that he could see plenty of Z inventory but when he tried to book the segments, Air France’s system denied it after about 60 seconds of waiting for HK. he wondered if it could’ve possibly been because of pending schedule change. He said to call back in the week and have them try again. I called back the following Tuesday and the agents were able to book it just fine.

lastly, keep in mind if you’ve been calling this weekend you’re calling on a holiday weekend. Most of us who have done this quite a bit suggest ever calling on a weekend at all. Call in normal business hours Monday through Friday, not on holidays so you’re actually talking to agents that have enough seniority to work weekdays and know what they’re doing.
Thanks - will try again this week. I've used expert flyer for years and have never found it not to be accurate. I had to cancel the flights within 24 hrs, and will need to re-book them again. I'm in Europe, so I forgot today was a US holiday.

I did check on Z availability separately on the two segments of the return; one has 2 seats and the other has 8. I'm not sure I understand however, what exactly the rep needs to do (so I can coach if necessary). Do I tell them to check the segments separately? Or as married segments? Help me understand what I need to tell them other than to look for Z availability.

When it comes to getting GUCs applied correctly I always feel like I need a secret decoder ring lol.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:37 pm

Thanks - will try again this week. I've used expert flyer for years and have never found it not to be accurate. I had to cancel the flights within 24 hrs, and will need to re-book them again. I'm in Europe, so I forgot today was a US holiday.

I did check on Z availability separately on the two segments of the return; one has 2 seats and the other has 8. I'm not sure I understand however, what exactly the rep needs to do (so I can coach if necessary). Do I tell them to check the segments separately? Or as married segments? Help me understand what I need to tell them other than to look for Z availability.

When it comes to getting GUCs applied correctly I always feel like I need a secret decoder ring lol.
UPDATE: Called back today; agent saw Z upgrade availability on all 4 segments, got it done and re-ticketed. Appreciate the advice.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have an upcoming KLM-operated, AF marketed flight in Premium Economy (A). The published GUC rules do not list this as eligible for upgrade using GUC but has anyone heard or experienced anything to indicate that this may be included soon?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by angra
I have an upcoming KLM-operated, AF marketed flight in Premium Economy (A). The published GUC rules do not list this as eligible for upgrade using GUC but has anyone heard or experienced anything to indicate that this may be included soon?
you must be looking at old terms and conditions. This is absolutely supported by Delta. However KLM just started rolling out premium economy there’s very few flights that have it. Are you sure that this is a KLM operated flight? Regardless you need to call in and asked to be transferred to the Air France KLM joint venture desk. Agents there will know what’s going on. If somebody says this is not possible then they don’t know what they’re doing.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:17 am

Also you want to look up Z availability. If you don’t have a subscription to expert flyer then post your flight number and date here and one of us will probably be glad to check for you
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
you must be looking at old terms and conditions. This is absolutely supported by Delta. However KLM just started rolling out premium economy there’s very few flights that have it. Are you sure that this is a KLM operated flight? Regardless you need to call in and asked to be transferred to the Air France KLM joint venture desk. Agents there will know what’s going on. If somebody says this is not possible then they don’t know what they’re doing.
I just now pulled this from dl.com under T&C for GUC:

For travel on KLM-operated flights marketed by AF, this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, K, H, L, Q, T, N, R, or V class into Z class.
Is there something newer somewhere?

It's KLM operated flights. One just had an equipment swap that dropped the PE class, so this may all be moot anyway, but for now is still relevant for the flight that does have the PE cabin.

I have an EF subscription.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.