Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by raje
Now I'm further confused...

I called the Diamond desk today to check on GUC availability on an upcoming CPT-AMS-SFO itinerary. Upgrade space was not available, but the agent said I could be put on the waitlist. I asked him when that policy change happened, and he didn't know. He put me on hold for 10min and came back and said I had been waitlisted.

Delta.com literature continues to say KLM operated flights cannot be waitlisted...but my itinerary on the website shows the waitlisting.
It'll look waitlisted, however it'll never process.
DJMeatBall likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:06 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by raje
Now I'm further confused...

I called the Diamond desk today to check on GUC availability on an upcoming CPT-AMS-SFO itinerary. Upgrade space was not available, but the agent said I could be put on the waitlist. I asked him when that policy change happened, and he didn't know. He put me on hold for 10min and came back and said I had been waitlisted.

Delta.com literature continues to say KLM operated flights cannot be waitlisted...but my itinerary on the website shows the waitlisting.
Yeah I wouldn't count on you actually being waitlisted. If you have EF continue to check manually and call back if something opens up. If you don't have EF, ping Delta on Twitter occasionally to check.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Interesting ... am I really waitlisted ?

I just got GUed for LAX-MSP-AMS and am told I am now waitlisted for the last leg AMS-BKK - after the agent changed the DL flight number to the KL number as noted in a prior post.
Will see how this turns out as the departure date nears - have fingers crossed.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Travelomania
I just got GUed for LAX-MSP-AMS and am told I am now waitlisted for the last leg AMS-BKK - after the agent changed the DL flight number to the KL number as noted in a prior post.
Will see how this turns out as the departure date nears - have fingers crossed.
It'll appear waitlisted, however it'll never process. BTW I don't believe the agent was supposed to change the flight code till you upgrade. This may or may not cause issues if and when you upgrade it.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM + Reserve, SPG + HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
My wife and I are flying SFO-AMS-FCO and FCO-AMS-SFO in September. ExpertFlyer shows there are 2 Z seats available for outbound SFO-AMS-FCO, and 0 Z seats for inbound FCO-AMS-SFO. All of these flights are DL-marketed and KL-operated, and they are booked in T class.

My understanding is that the ticket will be reissued with KL-marketed flights numbers in Z class for the outbound flights when I apply the GUCs.

My question: since the inbound flights do not have upgrade space currently, what will happen to the inbound flight numbers if I apply the GUCs for the outbound flights? Will the inbound flights remain DL-marketed or change to KL-marketed?

I'm wondering if it is wise to apply 2 GUCs now for the outbound flights or if that could prevent me from applying 2 additional GUCs for the inbound flights. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dailycavalier; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dailycavalier
My wife and I flying SFO-AMS-FCO and FCO-AMS-SFO in September. ExpertFlyer shows there are 2 Z seats available for outbound SFO-AMS-FCO, and 0 Z seats for inbound FCO-AMS-SFO. All of these flights are DL-marketed and KL-operated.

My understanding is that the ticket will be reissued with KL-marketed flights numbers in Z class for the outbound flights when I apply the GUCs.

My question: since the inbound flights do not have upgrade space currently, what will happen to the inbound flight numbers if I apply the GUCs for the outbound flights? Will the inbound flights remain DL-marketed or change to KL-marketed?

I'm wondering if it is wise to apply 2 GUCs now for the outbound flights or if that could prevent me from applying 2 additional GUCs for the inbound flights. Thanks in advance.
Just to double-check, you are checking Z space on the KL-marketed flights on ExpertFlyer right? You will book a DL-marketed flight, but you need the Z upgrade space to show up on the KL flight numbers, not the DL flight numbers.

If you apply the upgrades in only one direction, the other direction will remain DL flight numbers. (This is not so unusual and nothing to be worried about -- KLM.com for example will let you book trips not involving any upgrades with KL flight numbers in one direction and DL flight numbers in the other, and you could do the same thing if you wanted to for some reason by calling Delta.)

The agent may offer to do so, but note that it isn't possible to waitlist the other direction and if an agent tells you they have, the agent is wrong. So you'll want to keep monitoring the other direction on ExpertFlyer. Unfortunately ExpertFlyer alerts won't be any help for this purpose, because it's possible that Z space could become available on FCO-AMS-SFO while none remains available on FCO-AMS and AMS-SFO separately (or vice-versa), but EF will only let you set alerts for the individual legs, which is no use to you in this case.
dailycavalier likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

The notice of "waitlisted" disappeared from the leg and shown is Z-class business. After checking with an agent today she explained that KL removed the "waitlist" request, since it's not possible.

What is recommended as the next course of action, besides checking on a regular basis, as recommended by the agent ?
Is there anything else I could do ?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:45 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bgriff
Just to double-check, you are checking Z space on the KL-marketed flights on ExpertFlyer right? You will book a DL-marketed flight, but you need the Z upgrade space to show up on the KL flight numbers, not the DL flight numbers.
Yes, I am checking Z space on the KL-marketed flights on ExpertFlyer.

If you apply the upgrades in only one direction, the other direction will remain DL flight numbers. (This is not so unusual and nothing to be worried about -- KLM.com for example will let you book trips not involving any upgrades with KL flight numbers in one direction and DL flight numbers in the other, and you could do the same thing if you wanted to for some reason by calling Delta.)

The agent may offer to do so, but note that it isn't possible to waitlist the other direction and if an agent tells you they have, the agent is wrong. So you'll want to keep monitoring the other direction on ExpertFlyer. Unfortunately ExpertFlyer alerts won't be any help for this purpose, because it's possible that Z space could become available on FCO-AMS-SFO while none remains available on FCO-AMS and AMS-SFO separately (or vice-versa), but EF will only let you set alerts for the individual legs, which is no use to you in this case.
Super helpful. I am glad that changing to KL flight numbers in one direction only will not affect the flights in the other direction.

I will continue checking ExpertFlyer manually. Good to know that alerts can not check married segments.

Thanks bgriff!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

The notice of "waitlisted" disappeared from the leg and shown is Z-class business. After checking with an agent today she explained that KL removed the "waitlist" request, since it's not possible.

What is recommended as the next course of action, besides checking on a regular basis, as recommended by the agent ?
Is there anything else I could do ?
If it shows you in Z then you've been upgraded. Thus confused what you're looking at.
QDDawg likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:27 am

As an update to post #113 , I thankfully was able to get upgraded on my outbound SFO-AMS-FCO flights after talking with a Delta agent. My outbound flights were changed from DL flight numbers to KL flight numbers, now in Z class.

Now I'm trying to get upgraded on the inbound flights and today I saw on Expert Flyer that Z inventory is 2 for those flights. However, after talking with 3 Delta agents by phone, all of them say they see Z inventory is 0. On Expert Flyer I am searching SFO-FCO with a connection in AMS. Date and time: Oct 6, 2018 6am. Flights are KL 1596 and KL 605.

What can I do to try to get those Z seats? Is this a known issue where Z inventory is available on Expert Flyer, but Delta agents see no inventory?

A data point for when Global Upgrades are deposited: When I claimed them as a Choice Benefit, the confirmation page said it would take about 24 hours for me to receive them. However, I got an email confirmation within 2 hours and saw them appear in my Wallet on delta.com.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Apparently you CAN be waitlisted on KLM flights. I received my updated itinerary last week showing my 2nd leg AMS - IAD is now Z class with seats assigned. I just logged into KLM and confirmed we are in fact sitting up front on the final leg of the journey. I never called back in - this just happened - so .... I'm still confused on the waitlist policy, but am happy the GUC went through.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If it shows you in Z then you've been upgraded. Thus confused what you're looking at.
I don't know when, but Z-class has been removed again, as well as the additional segment with the KL flight number, and I'm back at my old selected seat.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by rylan
That is correct, upgrade waitlisting is not available for KLM operated flights. You'll have to keep watching in case 2 Z become available. Otherwise when you get to the airport in AMS go immediately to the transfer desk or lounge and ask to be upgraded with your certificates for the AMS-IAD segment, as it is more on a open seat basis then instead of needing Z. I'd suggest having your cert numbers just in case, even though it should be documented in the ticket from the CPT-AMS part being upgraded.
It’s looking like I’ll be in this situation next week. Right now there’s J3Z0 on my Delta marketed, KLM operated flight from AMS-SFO. I’ve done the 25K miles upgrade before never used GUCs this way before and I have two for my companion and myself I can use.

So, just to clarify, if DoD comes and there are any J seats left I can have the lounge agent pull my GUCs and use them to upgrade? Even if they haven’t opened Z inventory?

Also, does this still process like a pre-DoD ticket? Into Z so I’d get the business class bonus?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TetonSig
It’s looking like I’ll be in this situation next week. Right now there’s J3Z0 on my Delta marketed, KLM operated flight from AMS-SFO. I’ve done the 25K miles upgrade before never used GUCs this way before and I have two for my companion and myself I can use.

So, just to clarify, if DoD comes and there are any J seats left I can have the lounge agent pull my GUCs and use them to upgrade? Even if they haven’t opened Z inventory?

Also, does this still process like a pre-DoD ticket? Into Z so I’d get the business class bonus?
Why do people keeping mentioning the Z thing. It's a known error that will get fixed the more it is talked about.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, DL PM, UA gold MM, MMMarriott gold, AA mm (not bis), Global entry, Precheck
upgrade help

I am confused.

Booked on 6 segment trip through delta (two passengers), the 4 segments operated by delta cleared at booking. The remaining two are KLM operated. I received EF notification that Z is available on one of the segments I need. I called Delta, they said nope, nothing available, has to be on KLM flight. I thought I must have done the alert wrong. I logged into EF and checked the KLM flight and sure enough two Z seats available. I called Delta back, after a bunch of back and forth was put on hold then they came back and said the Z that is available on KLM is for purchase not upgrade????

What am I doing wrong?

I am down to 3-4 months out and starting to think I chose the wrong flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.