Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
To me, this is a downgrade: GUCs could be applied to essentially all KLM fares, and sometimes, booking on KLM.com was cheaper than booking on DL.com.
I made this mistake two weeks ago. Booked on KLM and called to apply GUC. NO go unless YBM. I could buy the same flights with DL codes (LAX-JNB RT) AND upgrade, but they have to switch to KLM codes to upgrade. Makes no sense.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I made this mistake two weeks ago. Booked on KLM and called to apply GUC. NO go unless YBM. I could buy the same flights with DL codes (LAX-JNB RT) AND upgrade, but they have to switch to KLM codes to upgrade. Makes no sense.
Did that jack up the price?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Did that jack up the price?
Yes, by 6 cents.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never had an upgraded KLM or AF segment post at 150% unless the underlying original coach fare class should have earned 150% (Y B or Y B M formerly). Maybe others here have been lucky.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They don't. You earn MQMs based on the fare paid, the same as when one does an instrument supported upgrade on a DL flight. Of course, YMMV if a mistake is made.
On my recent KL flight where I upgraded into World Business, I received a 50% MQM bonus. The Delta fare class was Z, while the KL fare class inexplicably ended up being C (I thought Delta, KLM, and AirFrance completed their business class fare class alignment a number of years ago). I'd guess this was an anomaly, not the rule – my best guess is that there was an error with the original re-ticketing, and then when it was corrected, the agent forced re-ticketing it into the lowest available fare class at the time (C).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ruckzac
On my recent KL flight where I upgraded into World Business, I received a 50% MQM bonus. The Delta fare class was Z, while the KL fare class inexplicably ended up being C (I thought Delta, KLM, and AirFrance completed their business class fare class alignment a number of years ago). I'd guess this was an anomaly, not the rule – my best guess is that there was an error with the original re-ticketing, and then when it was corrected, the agent forced re-ticketing it into the lowest available fare class at the time (C).
in the main GUC thread, its discussed that KLM upgraded using Globals post with bonus. IME this is true. Z is both revenue and upgrade award for KLM, thus DL cant tell the difference for mileage posting.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:06 pm

in the main GUC thread, its discussed that KLM upgraded using Globals post with bonus. IME this is true. Z is both revenue and upgrade award for KLM, thus DL cant tell the difference for mileage posting.
Good to know. Though, supposedly Delta can now tell the difference between a ticket originally booked as Y and a ticket re-booked as Y due to IRROPS for the purposes of MQM accrual. Devil's advocate: if you originally book a ticket with Delta on a KLM-operated flight and then upgrade using a GUC, shouldn't Delta know that? Of course, that makes pretty generous assumptions about the capabilities of Delta's IT...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ruckzac
Good to know. Though, supposedly Delta can now tell the difference between a ticket originally booked as Y and a ticket re-booked as Y due to IRROPS for the purposes of MQM accrual. Devil's advocate: if you originally book a ticket with Delta on a KLM-operated flight and then upgrade using a GUC, shouldn't Delta know that? Of course, that makes pretty generous assumptions about the capabilities of Delta's IT...
They'd know if you booked as KLM coded to begin with. However switching it from DL coded to KLM coded causes the system to not see the original ticketing class. I believe if you upgrade KLM coded flights it can tell the difference.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Data point. March of this year I flew KLM ORD-AMS that I booked as V fare on Delta.com Used GUC. Got the MQM bonus.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:16 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Bumping this a little:

Looking to book a KL coded, DL operated (AMS-SEA) flight. Can't get it as a DL code because of other flights on the itinerary.

Can I use a GUC on the flight? If so, what are the fare class restrictions? And do I need to be looking for Z on the KL coded flight (they exist now)?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:18 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by TTT
Bumping this a little:

Looking to book a KL coded, DL operated (AMS-SEA) flight. Can't get it as a DL code because of other flights on the itinerary.

Can I use a GUC on the flight? If so, what are the fare class restrictions? And do I need to be looking for Z on the KL coded flight (they exist now)?
I have been told the KL rules (YBM upgrade only) apply, but I believe others have been told or expect that normal Delta rules would apply. May be a HUCA situation.

Delta OY space would ultimately govern availability, though that does seem to at least sometimes sync up with Z space on the KL code as viewed on EF. No guarantees though.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TTT
Bumping this a little:

DL operated follow the rules for DL flights, even if coded as AF/KLM. Some agents get confused thoughwith the rules for KLM operated flights varying depending on if DL/KL coded.

DL operated needs O space on the DL flight number to be upgraded. (Even if coded as KLM, the upgrade space must be found under the DL flight number)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:33 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
I have been told the KL rules (YBM upgrade only) apply, but I believe others have been told or expect that normal Delta rules would apply. May be a HUCA situation.

Delta OY space would ultimately govern availability, though that does seem to at least sometimes sync up with Z space on the KL code as viewed on EF. No guarantees though.
DL operated follow the rules for DL flights, even if coded as AF/KLM. Some agents get confused thoughwith the rules for KLM operated flights varying depending on if DL/KL coded.

DL operated needs O space on the DL flight number to be upgraded. (Even if coded as KLM, the upgrade space must be found under the DL flight number)
Great - thank you both for the help.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
While this thread is bumped up, I have a couple of questions

I read upthread that a GUC can be processed at the KLM lounge in AMS. Is it also possible to process the GUC at a KLM ticket office/airport counter elsewhere in the world - specifically DEL, India? That way I could get the upgrade (assuming its available to begin with) on the DEL-AMS leg as well. Anyone ever done something remotely similar or is it just at AMS?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Should be possible as long as there are still seats. It was quit some time ago i did the DOD's upgrade. However remember succeeding at plenty of locations in Asia: TLV, DEL, HKG, NRT, ICN, PEK, HKG
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Thanks for confirming!

Do you remember if you used a GUC or paid the prescribed copay and upgraded with miles? Was it at the airport during check-in or at a city ticket office? Essentially I am trying to upgrade all the way from DEL-AMS-MSP on a single GUC and trying to find the best strategy to achieve it.

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Should be possible as long as there are still seats. It was quit some time ago i did the DOD's upgrade. However remember succeeding at plenty of locations in Asia: TLV, DEL, HKG, NRT, ICN, PEK, HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.