Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:14 pm

Yes and yes. No deadline prior to midnight the following day as far as I know. Congrats!!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Deleted

Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If booking and departure is within free cancel window, you must cancel the reservation before time of departure. You can't simply no-show.

Yes, it applies to awards. However some agents incorrectly believe the 72hr non-cancel window for awards trumps. HUACA if this happens.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If booking and departure is within free cancel window, you must cancel the reservation before time of departure. You can't simply no-show.
Not exactly.

The exact rule is you have until midnight following the day of purchase to cancel

OR if you buy on day of departure, you have until midnight day of departure (NOT the next day) to risk free

That policy overrides anything in the fare rules about cancelling prior to departure time, but only if you purchase it the day of departure
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Not exactly.

The exact rule is you have until midnight following the day of purchase to cancel

OR if you buy on day of departure, you have until midnight day of departure (NOT the next day) to risk free

That policy overrides anything in the fare rules about cancelling prior to departure time, but only if you purchase it the day of departure
Forgot they changed that. At one point it was you had to cancel by departure. (Which made sense IMO)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
24 Hour Risk Free Cancellation - also after departure of flight?

Bit of a problem here: bought a ticket one hour ago and checked in. Now plans changed, and I want to use the 24 Hour Risk Free Cancellation. Flight leaves in one hour, so I suppose I need to do it before.

Tried online - doesn't work, tells me to call. I call - 1H30 wait time because apparently there is havoc in the North-East. I used Twitter account, but not sure they get to this in time.

I suppose the reason I cannot cancel online anymore is that I have already checked in.

What else could I try? In case I cannot get through to DL before the flight leaves - and this is after having tried several channels - what are the chances of getting my money back?

This is a First Class non-refundable ticket for a domestic itinerary.

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
According to https://www.delta.com/ca/en/change-c...flight/#24hour you must cancel before departure.

Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Cancellation request must be made before travel commences for the first flight.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
According to https://www.delta.com/ca/en/change-c...flight/#24hour you must cancel before departure.

Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Cancellation request must be made before travel commences for the first flight.
"Before travel commences" to me means that you can't take the first flight and then request the refund, even if it's within 24 hours of purchase. To me, this language is very different from "before scheduled departure of first flight".
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Finkface

Thanks. Just what I thought (it makes sense somehow).

Only problem is: they do not respond! In addition to Twitter and phone I now also tried their Messaging function on the website. Just no reaction from them. So I can prove that I have made the requests before the flight, but they didn't manage to answer. I hope they are sensible and won't tell me "we were busy, but that's your problem"
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:34 pm

You bought a ticket 2 hours before takeoff, and 1 hour before takeoff your plans changed, you aren't at the airport?
rjg319, nancypants, KRUXED and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Stay online. They should know when the call was put in.

Sounds fishy to me
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Delta is very reasonable. Twitter will know when you wrote in. They can process a refund.

If you are extra distrustful send in a Complaint via the Comment/Complaint link, which will be timestamped before midnight today.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm curious... did you get a hold of somebody to cancel before the flight?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL
The customer commitment says midnight of the day of departure. https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/customer-commitment

Even if you buy a non-refundable ticket from Delta, we will give you time to compare our fares with those of other airlines. You may cancel and refund your ticket in full until midnight, one day after the reservation is made. For example, a ticket purchased anytime on Monday can be cancelled and refunded until midnight on Tuesday. If the reservation is made on the date of travel, you may cancel and refund your paid ticket in full until midnight that day.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:23 am

If you buy it on Priceline you can cancel within 24 hours, no strings attached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.