Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Justin026
With respect, 110pgl, I think the reason people have commented about this is because you were the first person to raise the question about whether this incident really happened -- and you gave your message a separate title -- "Hoax?" in bold letters.

My observation, at least on this board, has been that skepticism has a place. But if we have a poster saying that he/she actually observed something, then we seem to defer to that post. Ask a clarifying question or two, but it the OP still says it happened, we either keep reading politely or we ignore the thread and wait for it scroll away.
Thank you for your POV.

Some facts...
  • The word Hoax (bolded) was the title - no way to not bold it.
  • I did ask clarifying questions.
  • There were no news reports or verification 8+ hours after this story started. That is when I questioned OP for more information.
  • 24+ hours later there was no conformation and MSY said no comment.

Perhaps I have read more on FT than some on this thread. Threads with unsubstantiated outlandish stories are presented daily on FT. Most of the time, these crazy stories are proven false and the entire thread either deleted, closed or the topic moves on. Maybe it is the scientist in me, but, we should always question stories out of the norm first. It is certainly not rude to question people and ask for details. It is certainly well within all our rights to determine, based on the facts at hand, whether we believe something that has been told.

Respectfully, I reject your notion/rule...
Originally Posted by Justin026
...Ask a clarifying question or two, but it the OP still says it happened, we either keep reading politely or we ignore the thread and wait for it scroll away.
We should always question outlandish stories. It is the best way to get to the truth, as we did here. If your definition of "rude" or "unkind" is to question an outlandish story (that, unlike the norm, turned out to be true), so be it. We just disagree.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:51 pm

Not sure if these most important questions were asked / answered :
Did she win miles ?
If fare permits, did she has a refund ?
Old May 31, 2016, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
"I don't see enough evidence to believe this" and "you are a liar" are two totally different statements.
Not really, if the OP says "craziest thing I have ever SEEN..."

OP say that they have witnessed this, it's either truth or a lie.

You say you "don't see enough evidence to believe this" indicates you believe the OP is lying.

Seems easy enough.

And as far as the jumper, well, I have felt that way about Delta a few times myself....
Old May 31, 2016, 4:33 pm

It's NOLA

Being from New Orleans, I've seen a lot of strange things. Somehow, I'm not really surprised.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 110pgl
And this story certainly smelled like a whooper - especially when no one would verify it!!! It is simply not believable... until it is. Everyone should question crazy 'facts' until supported by evidence. We now have a second source verification. No one here seems to be questioning the story now.
Classic Black Swan
Old May 31, 2016, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Classic Black Swan
Yes. Exactly. And that of course is the point.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pokecheckted
Not really, if the OP says "craziest thing I have ever SEEN..."

OP say that they have witnessed this, it's either truth or a lie.

You say you "don't see enough evidence to believe this" indicates you believe the OP is lying.

Seems easy enough.
Everything is black or white in your world, but in reality things are not always so clear. When I said I don't have enough evidence to believe the account, I also didn't have enough evidence to conclude the poster was lying. So according to your logic I must have believed him at the same time that I thought he was lying.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Everything is black or white in your world, but in reality things are not always so clear. When I said I don't have enough evidence to believe the account, I also didn't have enough evidence to conclude the poster was lying. So according to your logic I must have believed him at the same time that I thought he was lying.
Schrodinger's post? Belief and disbelief simultaneously?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Think on this - would OP have been questioned 5 years ago on Ft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.