Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, that is correct. The passenger cannot knowingly be separated from their bag.
Years ago, I voluntary didn't board a delayed domestic flight in the US as that will make me miss my intl connection to Europe (flight was delayed after check in)
My bags took my scheduled flight without me and they did miss the connection and arrived one day after me at destination.
My bags made a domestic flight and an international flights without me

Another experience, standby for an earlier flight. The found me a seat but said that my bags will take the scheduled flight (without me)
Old May 24, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Inconvenience I'm sure, but I'd rather have the crazies off the plane.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Positive bag matching ended a long time ago.

In 2011, DoT said:

https://www.regulations.gov/contentS...ontentType=pdf (page 33)
That reference is specifically about Tarmac Delays and passengers choosing to leave as a result of the delay. The assumption is that the passenger and bags were loaded and prepared to fly together. Letting the passenger leave and the bags go on is a lower risk than a missed connection, when the bag should still be removed.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CGRA
Years ago, I voluntary didn't board a delayed domestic flight in the US as that will make me miss my intl connection to Europe (flight was delayed after check in)
My bags took my scheduled flight without me and they did miss the connection and arrived one day after me at destination.
My bags made a domestic flight and an international flights without me

Another experience, standby for an earlier flight. The found me a seat but said that my bags will take the scheduled flight (without me)
Here's DL's official policy on voluntary bag separation: "Delta will not deliver any bag that does not make the flight and will not cover any out of pocket expense incurred as a result of the voluntary separation".
Old May 24, 2016, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I've flown without my bags matching the flight I was on a few times. Most recently I was IDBed on an ATL-MGM flight about a year ago. I got a rental car and drove from Atlanta to Montgomery but my bags (all 4 of them) flew on the ATL-MGM flight and I had to go to MGM to pick them up. In fact, DL would not pull them off the plane and deliver them to bag claim at ATL. I wasn't upset by the this; I didn't care if they flew to MGM or if I had to pick them up in ATL as long as I knew where they were.
I would have tried to insist that DL deliver the bags from MGM.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
Not correct on domestic flight. That rule ended long ago.
Originally Posted by sbrower
Why are you making this up? There is no such rule on U.S. domestic travel.
Not sure what the details of the actual regulation are, however every reputable airline that I typically fly on still offloads luggage when a customer opts not to take a flight. Just this past Sunday on AA when I went to switch flights due to a mechanical delay, the AAgent verified that I had no checked luggage on the original flight before making the switch. Likewise two days before that a customer on the B6 flight I was on ended up not making the flight for whatever reason and an announcement was made that the customer's luggage needed to be offloaded before we could leave the gate.

Again, while the actual law may have changed, the practice of removing a passenger's luggage when they do not board the plane is still very alive on US domestic flights today (as it should be IMO).
Old May 24, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
A couple of weeks ago, I took a VDB on a PDX-MSP-RIC and was rebooked on PDX-ATL-RIC a couple of hours later. To be clear, they announced on the overhead that they were looking for volunteers and I stepped right up. I figured that as long as I got to Richmond on that calendar day, I could be flexible. So they reissued my ticket and I specifically asked whether my bags would be pulled off of the original flight so that they would travel with me, and the gate agent said "No, they will go out on this flight and be waiting for you at the baggage office in Richmond."

That really surprised me because I was rerouted in an IROPS situation a couple of months ago and could see them pulling my bags from the plane *while* the gate agent was issuing my new ticket.
Ok...let me chime in on the subject. I just took my annual renewal for what's called a GSC or Ground Security Coordinator.
IF you voluntarily leave the aircraft (let's stick with domestic...) your bags are "supposed" to be pulled. IF you take a VDB, rerouted due to weight and balance, jump from the door or just flat out decide not to fly...your bags are "supposed" to be pulled. Positive bag match is only for international flights. IF you're IBD'd your bags can fly. Voluntary vs Involuntary. YMMV...as always.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:09 am

I think we have concluded two things:

1. OP story does not make sense and likely did not happen.
2. Bags do not / are not supposed to stay on a flight when someone decides to skip the flight.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well, that may be, but two weeks ago, I volunteered to take a flight the next day (domestic) and my bag went on the scheduled flight without me. It was sitting in baggage claim when I got to my destination the next day.

And I had this happen earlier this year too. So, no, United does not always pull bags when a passenger voluntarily takes a later flight....

It is true that it was not my intent to take a later flight - and United was the one who decided it was me taking the later flight - as would be in the case of an involuntary denied boarding.

But it takes time to find one single bag in the hold. Many bags look alike - last time I actually entered the luggage hold (a long time ago) it was a jumble of bags, and dimly lit too.

Post 9/11, I have also witnessed a flight attendant who left the flight minutes before the flight got clearance to leave (we were late, and she (unwisely) decided to leave the plane to buy some food). This was an international flight. Infuriated, the lead FA and Pilot decided to throw her bag off the plane and leave once clearance was granted. As far as I know, she only had carry on luggage. We left one FA short.

Billy
Old May 24, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Well, that may be, but two weeks ago, I volunteered to take a flight the next day (domestic) and my bag went on the scheduled flight without me. It was sitting in baggage claim when I got to my destination the next day.

And I had this happen earlier this year too. So, no, United does not always pull bags when a passenger voluntarily takes a later flight....

It is true that it was not my intent to take a later flight - and United was the one who decided it was me taking the later flight - as would be in the case of an involuntary denied boarding.

But it takes time to find one single bag in the hold. Many bags look alike - last time I actually entered the luggage hold (a long time ago) it was a jumble of bags, and dimly lit too.

Post 9/11, I have also witnessed a flight attendant who left the flight minutes before the flight got clearance to leave (we were late, and she (unwisely) decided to leave the plane to buy some food). This was an international flight. Infuriated, the lead FA and Pilot decided to throw her bag off the plane and leave once clearance was granted. As far as I know, she only had carry on luggage. We left one FA short.

Billy
I think you are still following what most have said... you took a later flight, at the request of the airline. While they should have pulled your bag, they did not. It is not the same as someone getting off the plane last minute 100% their own choice.

Funny story about the FA - and they generally travel with carry on only, so makes sense.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I think you are still following what most have said... you took a later flight, at the request of the airline. While they should have pulled your bag, they did not. It is not the same as someone getting off the plane last minute 100% their own choice.

Funny story about the FA - and they generally travel with carry on only, so makes sense.
And, just to be clear, while airlines may have a policy of trying to take off luggage sometimes when the passenger isn't on the plane, there is no legal requirement on domestic flights for luggage to be removed even if the passenger never boards the plane, even if it is the passengers voluntary decision.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
I agree that it is strange that the local news does not have any coverage of it. In fact after we landed I checked Nola.com and wdsu.com and was suprised that no one had picked up the story.

The lady did not check any bags and had a small bag with her when she jumped off the plane.

For the doubters out there I'm sure that if someone called the MSY airport and asked they would be able to verify the story.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:53 pm

Another data point : from europe to the US with a connection in the US. I missd my connection by minutes but my bags made it and arrived before me.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would have tried to insist that DL deliver the bags from MGM.
I had to go to MGM to drop off my one-way rental car anyway and this also would have required me figuring out how to get person delivering the bags authorized to get on to Maxwell AFB since that's where I was staying. Given that I got over $1k in DL vouchers out of the bump, I didn't complain too much then or now and just rolled with the punches.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I had to go to MGM to drop off my one-way rental car anyway and this also would have required me figuring out how to get person delivering the bags authorized to get on to Maxwell AFB since that's where I was staying. Given that I got over $1k in DL vouchers out of the bump, I didn't complain too much then or now and just rolled with the punches.
Why vouchers if it was an IDB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.