Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Food for thought.
If this happened as reported and someone on that flight made the decision not to report OR it was reported but someone in Ops decided to push out the flight asap, could it now be quietly "covered-up" due to the potential repercussions?
Honestly, I think it is a concern that someone jumped out of a plane forcibly and if I were on that plane, I would prefer actions to be taken out of an abundance of safety considerations over trying to reach my destination on time.
All the flight attendants would need to agree to not report it. Plausible, as only one has responsibility to report it to the airline.

And of course there would have to be no photos from any smart phones, because if there were, the crew would be in trouble for not reporting it.

And. of course the ground crew would need to cover it up too, they would have certainly see a person come flying out the door of a plane they were beginning to move.

And of course the rest of the security/crew folks on the ground working near the flight would have to not report it as well, as they would have seen a person running down the tarmac.

And who was that passenger on the grassy knowl?
Old May 25, 2016, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
My daughter and I are on the plane in New Orleans headed for LAX. Just after the boarding door was closed this lady runs up from the back of the plane, pushed the flight attendant out of the way, opened the door, and jumped 10 feet to the ground below. She then took off running across the tarmac. Craziest thing I have ever seen on a plane.

Surprisingly the flight was only delayed a short while.
All this is confirmed by Delta and more. Blog post with quotes here:

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...s-msy-airport/

Scary stuff.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Thanks Rene!
Old May 25, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
Thanks Rene!
Sorry, people on here aren't the nicest. They generally doubt one, before believing one. They also don't like being wrong, even if there is evidence to that effect.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Thanks Rene!
Old May 25, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Sorry, people on here aren't the nicest. They generally doubt one, before believing one. They also don't like being wrong, even if there is evidence to that effect.
Your apology is accepted on behalf of everyone at FT. Thank you s0ssos. There was no evidence until late today, so no reason to believe such a tale... especially in the days of the smart phone and twitter. Even Rene was a big skeptic, saying, "this is too crazy to be true and where are all the news reports about the incident". And MSY and Delta both (initially) refused to confirm it, further adding to the skepticism.

While s0ssos you are right that people don't like being wrong, evidence is always required to believe any story/position.... especially the crazy tales people tell in FT. And this story certainly smelled like a whooper - especially when no one would verify it!!! It is simply not believable... until it is. Everyone should question crazy 'facts' until supported by evidence. We now have a second source verification. No one here seems to be questioning the story now.

3StarsFoodie - I am happy your story turned out to be true - and I fully admit I was wrong in thinking it was not true. Congrats on witnessing such a crazy event and having a story to tell for the rest of your life!!! I hope it does get picked up by the news outlets so you can say to everyone... I was there! I was there! ^
Old May 25, 2016, 3:41 pm

I apologize as well for doubting you.

Maybe I'm just to used to the "news" being reported practically before it happens on Twitter, Facebook, etc. It just seemed unfathomable that it would take so long to be reported on in 2016!

That would be insane to see in person. But I hope they get the woman some help as she obviously has some mental health issues.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kop84
I apologize as well for doubting you.

Maybe I'm just to used to the "news" being reported practically before it happens on Twitter, Facebook, etc. It just seemed unfathomable that it would take so long to be reported on in 2016!

That would be insane to see in person. But I hope they get the woman some help as she obviously has some mental health issues.
Don't you know EVERYTHING happens first at FlyerTalk ^

BTW, I am I the only one who thinks it is strange that they did not take everyone off the flight and check it. I know nothing happened but seriously?
Old May 25, 2016, 4:02 pm

Glad the truth is out after some prying efforts by Rene. Thanks. It is also a reminder that stuff can still happen and facts not made known to Joe Public (or delayed reporting etc) if the right parties are involved. Usually (Hopefully) they are made in the interest of public safety.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Kudos to the OP for remaining calm in the face of being called a liar repeatedly.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Kudos to the OP for remaining calm in the face of being called a liar repeatedly.
Liar is a bit strong. But I agree OP did a great job of staying calm. FT is full of big crazy stories that turn out to be complete B.S. We all had every reason to think this was another B.S. story.

Originally Posted by Renes Points

BTW, I am I the only one who thinks it is strange that they did not take everyone off the flight and check it. I know nothing happened but seriously?
I am shocked by it. I don't know that I would have continued on that flight.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I don't know that I would have continued on that flight.
Agreed. I'm a little surprised a security sweep of the aircraft wasn't done following the incident.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Liar is a bit strong.
Not really. People flamed and shut him down, as typical of FT. I won't lie I doubted him too but refrained from replying until now.

I'm glad to see he wasn't blowing smoke.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Don't you know EVERYTHING happens first at FlyerTalk ^

*shrug* in theory, everything on the plane made it through security...

But yeah, I hear ya. I'd proablly fee better with a full sweep.. But then again, I'd appreciate being on time too!
Old May 25, 2016, 8:51 pm
Suspended

I am shocked by it. I don't know that I would have continued on that flight.
It would have shaken me and I fly 100-150 segments a year on Delta.

Originally Posted by appleguru
*shrug* in theory, everything on the plane made it through security...

But yeah, I hear ya. I'd proablly fee better with a full sweep.. But then again, I'd appreciate being on time too!
Yes, the TSA has a 95% record... I will let you Google if they are 95% right or 95% wrong.

But yes, on time matters to the mothership. We know that!

Last edited by Renes Points; May 25, 2016 at 9:00 pm Reason: added 2nd quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.