Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold

My daughter and I are on the plane in New Orleans headed for LAX. Just after the boarding door was closed this lady runs up from the back of the plane, pushed the flight attendant out of the way, opened the door, and jumped 10 feet to the ground below. She then took off running across the tarmac. Craziest thing I have ever seen on a plane.

Surprisingly the flight was only delayed a short while.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
CNN report to follow!
Old May 23, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
My daughter and I are on the plane in New Orleans headed for LAX. Just after the boarding door was closed this lady runs up from the back of the plane, pushed the flight attendant out of the way, opened the door, and jumped 10 feet to the ground below. She then took off running across the tarmac. Craziest thing I have ever seen on a plane.

Surprisingly the flight was only delayed a short while.
I heard she had been upgraded from a exit row aisle seat to a c+ middle seat. She wanted no part of it.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Aren't the doors usually armed straight after being shut? Did the slide not inflate?
Old May 23, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Aren't the doors usually armed straight after being shut? Did the slide not inflate?
This must have happened at the gate just after the door was closed (before the slide was opened). It does not seem to have made it onto any of the mainstream or aviation news sites and therefore doubtful a slide deployed or that this occurred during/after push-back.

Must have been quite the scene. I've had a few instances where I decided (or got decided by my boos) that I wasn't taking a flight and had to get off after boarding but never after the door closed.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

The FA was making some announcements and was reaching to activate the slide when the lady from the back pushed her out of the way and opened the door. A few seconds later and we would have been delayed for hours.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I was on a plane leaving GSO that had pushed off the gate and literally taxied back to the gate because some lady in first class had decided that she missed her children too much and decided she had to be left off the aircraft I was asleep, when the scene was made, so I missed it (I was also in FC) but the FA filled me in afterwards. Apparently, the lady probably had a few in the bar before boarding, and the PDB was the one that made her realize that she couldn't bear to leave her precious little ones.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Damn. When I saw the thread title (MSY-LAX) I was kinda hoping that she jumped mid-flight (and that everyone was safe, of course).

Still...a good story. ^
Old May 23, 2016, 12:15 pm

Hoax?

Is this a hoax? Flight number? Airline?

If she hopped off the plane at the last minute, they would have to ensure she had no checked bags. THAT would take some time. And they would also need to verify she did not bring/leave any carry ons on the plane. Only way to do that is deplane everyone and do a screening of the plane. Could easily take the plane offline for a more thorough scanning.

I would think this would be bigger news. It would be a major security breach.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

DL1325 was the flight number.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Is this a hoax? Flight number? Airline?

If she hopped off the plane at the last minute, they would have to ensure she had no checked bags. THAT would take some time. And they would also need to verify she did not bring/leave any carry ons on the plane. Only way to do that is deplane everyone and do a screening of the plane. Could easily take the plane offline for a more thorough scanning.

I would think this would be bigger news. It would be a major security breach.
Security breach? How so?
Old May 23, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc

Security breach? How so?
An unauthorized person running around on the tarmac would be a considerable security breach.

But flightaware shows the flight about to land only 5 min late.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL726
Old May 23, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc

Security breach? How so?
  1. You cannot leave luggage on the plane from a passenger that gets off the plane.
  2. Passengers are not allowed to run across the tarmac!
Old May 23, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 110pgl
  1. You cannot leave luggage on the plane from a passenger that gets off the plane.
Not correct on domestic flight. That rule ended long ago.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I was on a plane leaving GSO that had pushed off the gate and literally taxied back to the gate because some lady in first class had decided that she missed her children too much and decided she had to be left off the aircraft I was asleep, when the scene was made, so I missed it (I was also in FC) but the FA filled me in afterwards. Apparently, the lady probably had a few in the bar before boarding, and the PDB was the one that made her realize that she couldn't bear to leave her precious little ones.
This almost sounds like a rejected script for Home Alone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.