Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
In most cases, the DM is silently swapping their upgrade under the table for their companion's Y seat. Back in the days when C+ upgrades for companions were easy, that was no big deal - I'd happily settle in to a coach bulkhead aisle and let my wife enjoy the F seat, as she has fewer opportunities to experience it than I do. Now that the C+ upgrade policy limits the time of clearance with companions, this is a tough strategy - it usually results in the DM sitting in 44E, since splitting the res for an upgrade to F would need to happen before C+ "upgrades" clear for a GM (assuming you used your choice benefit on status for your SO).

Look, I'm affected poorly by this maybe more acutely than anyone: after the C+ changes, our family dropped real money this year to drag both people to Diamond status, when in the past DM/GM was sufficient. Unless there is a tiebreaker DL hasn't announced, we will now be losing out to companions of other elites even though we both have status.

But I still think it's the right move. It's an acknowledgement that an unintended consequence of the C+ booking changes has been DMs stuck in ordinary economy seats when traveling for leisure, and that real decisions to book away from DL have occurred as a result.

This year, when traveling together domestically we chose AS and internationally we chose AF/KL; it wasn't until my wife hit Platinum that we returned to flying DL again.

That said, if I was designing this policy, I would have tiered it: clear all single DMs by fare class, then after that clear all DM pairings with companions by fare class. That prevents a single DM from losing out to a companion with no status at a slightly higher fare on competitive routes, but still ensures most couples will be able to travel together at least in C+.
+1. Excellent post: after this change all my domestic leisure and business travel (with my wife with me) went to United instead even if DL was cheaper or more convenient. Also, my wife and I don't actually care about domestic first - those seats and additional food/service are nothing worth fighting (or paying) for. I do care about having extra legroom in Comfort +.

I also completely agree with tiering (can DL's IT systems handle it?)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
How long the upgrade list is isn't what the issue is. How many of the people on the upgrade list are non-status companions on the same PNR with a DM is the issue.

How many do you think there are?
Not very many at all is the answer. Most DMs I know have at least one (usually two) DL Reserve Cards (my wife and I have four; each of us has the consumer and the business in our own name). So you just allocate the MQMs so your spouse is at least PM.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Exploerer
How is giving out 2 free UGs maximizing DLs profits ?
DL is giving out the same number of upgrades either way. The only thing that changes is who gets them.

As a DM, I'd much rather have upgrades for myself and my wife on vacation, than more upgrades for myself alone on business. Delta apparently believes that a majority of DMs feel similarly, hence their new policy.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Exploerer
We are automatically put on the UG list as set by our preferences. We qualified for the posted advertised benefits , the companion did not!
My companion certainly will quality for the advertised benefits, since the new policy is being advertised.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfdesquire
Not very many at all is the answer. Most DMs I know have at least one (usually two) DL Reserve Cards (my wife and I have four; each of us has the consumer and the business in our own name). So you just allocate the MQMs so your spouse is at least PM.
I have no Reserve Cards, and my wife has no status. (We discussed it, it wasn't worth gifting her Gold his year for various reasons.)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sethb
I have no Reserve Cards, and my wife has no status. (We discussed it, it wasn't worth gifting her Gold his year for various reasons.)
+1. I can't imagine having four.
Also Sethb, your previous three posts represent a typical DM's thoughts. Thanks for the input!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Melodsal
+1. Excellent post: after this change all my domestic leisure and business travel (with my wife with me) went to United instead even if DL was cheaper or more convenient. Also, my wife and I don't actually care about domestic first - those seats and additional food/service are nothing worth fighting (or paying) for. I do care about having extra legroom in Comfort +.

I also completely agree with tiering (can DL's IT systems handle it?)
I agree Delta It needs a lot of help and hopefully this past week won't happen again. I actually have talked with Delta about tiering and from the sounds of it this will be addressed in the beginning of 2017.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by gleeforglia
Not sure when it's official, but last month, a phone agent cleared comfort(+) 'upgrade' for a trip my non-status husband and I are taking in October...agent also put my husband on the upgrade list linked with me. These weren't even the same PNRs (though our records were linked), so you might be able to call and have it taken care of now.
No such luck for me today. Booked a DTW-PVR non-stop trip on the same PNR for February with my spouse and thought I'd have luck cajoling the DM RA into C+ seats (exit rows were easily selected upon purchase). The RA didn't even have a clue on the effective date of the change, said she couldn't help on moving us to C+ and just left it at that. I'll call again tomorrow and see if I can get any better luck!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So just booked tix for companion and I on same PNR. Seat assignments were given side by side in regular Y.

Go to my PNR on DL.com and no place to manage upgrades etc.

When does this go live? Tix is for Oct.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM
Like everything else, the system will be gamed and DM's will be adding anyone in their travel group as their companion booked on a different reservation getting their friends with no status or low status free upgrades. Meanwhile the upgrades the PM's used to see will be gone. Bad policy for anyone but DM's.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
yeah, it's super easy to add random people you meet in the skyclub to your PNR right before your flight.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by seowitz
Like everything else, the system will be gamed and DM's will be adding anyone in their travel group as their companion booked on a different reservation getting their friends with no status or low status free upgrades. Meanwhile the upgrades the PM's used to see will be gone. Bad policy for anyone but DM's.
While I agree it is a bad policy and it eventually will be changed to more of a middle ground, I dont see Shena being that much of an issue. Does Shena happen yes and as Widgets says report it if you think it did so that delta can investigate. But I really do believe Shena is few and far between. Ive personally only seen shena happen one time in the last 5 years.

Last edited by dzflyer; Aug 15, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So just booked tix for companion and I on same PNR. Seat assignments were given side by side in regular Y.

Go to my PNR on DL.com and no place to manage upgrades etc.

When does this go live? Tix is for Oct.
I called yesterday re: a Thanksgiving flight and the agent at the Plat desk didn't know. Spoke with a supervisor who said "Autumn" whatever that means . . . .
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by seowitz
I completely agree
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:32 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The agent today knew of the change but stated it was a Fall date that has yet to be announced. So I split the upcoming SFO trip in 10 days....I'm now in C+ and he's still in the exit row. Unless I decline upgrades or stay in the same PNR, we are separated, which is certainly annoying. I'm for this change even as a Plat that might suffer a bit.

What happens when say there's one seat, but you and your companion are linked. Does that pass you over to the next one down the list? Or does one get it and not the other??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.