Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rapid Reward switch to Skymiles, MQM question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive

Travelers,

I decided to switch to Delta, as I'm way beyond any benefits from Southwest.

I received Gold Medallion, as a status match to my Companion Pass, (with over 400k miles this year). I know, BS right?

I'm required to earn 12,500 MQM's in the next 90 days, to maintain gold in 2016.

My first segment was last night. STL-ATL, @ $244. I received 1220 miles, but only 500 MQM's.

Why did I only earn 500 MQM's?

Please help, I'm very disappointed.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mthake
Travelers,

I received Gold Medallion, as a status match to my Companion Pass, (with over 400k miles this year). I know, BS right?

I'm required to earn 12,500 MQM's in the next 90 days, to maintain gold in 2016.

My first segment was last night. STL-ATL, @ $244. I received 1220 miles, but only 500 MQM's.

Honestly I'm surprised delta offered a status match from southwest.. Historically they used to not offer anything for the "discount" carriers (southwest, JetBlue, etc). Gold is actually a pretty good starting place though; IMO the first status tier that confers a solid lineup of benefits.

RE MQM, those are based on the actual flight distance. The minimum is 500, so any short hops less than 500 (like STL -> ATL, which I believe is ~470) get rounded up to 500.

If you fly first class (or on *very* expensive coach fares) you get a 50% MQM bump... But otherwise MQM is based 100% on flight distance.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
, (with over 400k miles this year). I know, BS right?

yes, "400k miles this year" could be BS (hey, I'm just having fun with the juxtaposition of your statements)

As noted, redeemable miles (1,220) is 5 miles x $244, whereas MQM is mileage based.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
MQMs are by mileage. As ATL-STL is 484 miles, you got the 500 mile minimum per segment.

Redeemable miles are by price paid.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM
Some good reading for the OP:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html

This chart shows you MQM earned, which is based on distance flown and fare class (for a possible 50% or 100% bonus)
Old May 18, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Honestly I'm surprised delta offered a status match from southwest.. Historically they used to not offer anything for the "discount" carriers (southwest, JetBlue, etc). Gold is actually a pretty good starting place though; IMO the first status tier that confers a solid lineup of benefits.

RE MQM, those are based on the actual flight distance. The minimum is 500, so any short hops less than 500 (like STL -> ATL, which I believe is ~470) get rounded up to 500.

If you fly first class (or on *very* expensive coach fares) you get a 50% MQM bump... But otherwise MQM is based 100% on flight distance.
OP has a status challenge, not a status match.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
OP, how many MQM did you expect to earn and what led you to that expectation? I'm genuinely curious, not meaning to be snarky with this question.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
OP, how many MQM did you expect to earn and what led you to that expectation? I'm genuinely curious, not meaning to be snarky with this question.
I'm pretty sure the point of confusion is that Southwest doesn't distinguish RDMs and MQMs (or their equivalent).
Old May 18, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
Thumbs up

Thanks Travelers,

Great food for thought!

So you know, I was CP leading into 2016. I achieved CP by February 19th 2016, for 2017.

Double points, Business Select adds up quick - so yes, I actually earned to date 2016, 378,655 points so far.

On the MQM's, thanks your for that. This weeks scheduled

STL-ATL
ATL-BHM
BHM-ATL
ATL-STL
STL-LGA
LGA-DIA
DIA-STL.

So you can see how this was accomplished....
Old May 18, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
Thanks Travelers,

Great food for thought!

So you know, I was CP leading into 2016. I achieved CP by February 19th 2016, for 2017.

Double points, Business Select adds up quick - so yes, I actually earned to date 2016, 378,655 points so far.

On the MQM's, thanks your for that. This weeks scheduled

STL-ATL
ATL-BHM
BHM-ATL
ATL-STL
STL-LGA
LGA-DIA
DIA-STL.

So you can see how this was accomplished....

I'm ALP + CP as well with WN and I also did what you did with doubling down on some business select fares to get status that much faster.

I also did the status challenge with Delta and was offered Gold within 90 days if I met the criteria. I easily met the criteria and currently only 4 segments away from earning Gold on my own for next year. This will be be completed next week and then I'll be working toward Platinum.

A List, A List Preferred, and CP could be earned with total number of flights OR points. The big difference with Delta is you have to meet 2 of 3 criteria. Miles (MQM) or Segments (MQS) AND $ spent (MQD).

If you fly short segments like me (CMH - DTW - ALB) , each segment is under 500 miles and will be nigh impossible to earn via MQMs. The place where Delta beats Southwest is you get 4 segments for a round trip flight whereas Southwest only considers that 2 segments for the same flight.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Good point, and that's exactly what I'm concerned about.

MQM's might not be the best for short flights.

Thanks Much!
Old May 18, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
But you're getting 7 MQS's in one week. I only get 4. If you keep up that kind of schedule you'll make Gold/Platinum Status in no time.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Good Point..

Heading to CA in a couple weeks, so it may be a mix.... we'll see....
Old May 22, 2016, 3:25 pm

140 segments gets you diamond. 20 weeks with that schedule will get you top tier delta as well
Old May 23, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Travelers,

Why are you leaving SouthWest? I thought they were ranked #1 in the latest survey of Frequent Flyer Programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.