Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced Gate Check Carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
So I'm flying delta in April Detroit to Seattle. I plain to only have a standard backpack since it's just a overnight trip. Will I get hassled and forced to gate check a backpack or are they only going after those with standard carry on? I've only every flown southwest before so delta will be new territory.
How big is the "standard backpack"? Will it fit under a seat? (What size plane?)
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
It's becoming clear why some have "issues" with Delta. My attitude is totally different when I fly and could be why I have overwhelmingly positive experiences. More flies with sugar
I also have overwhelmingly positive experiences. Apparently better than yours, if ability to SDC to Delta 1 in included in the calculation.

I just don't tend to have the few worst experiences, because I know how to avoid them.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
I also have overwhelmingly positive experiences. Apparently better than yours, if ability to SDC to Delta 1 in included in the calculation.

I just don't tend to have the few worst experiences, because I know how to avoid them.
I would never contemplate behaving the immature way you described at the gate. It's not in my DNA to be so difficult.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would never contemplate behaving the immature way you described at the gate. It's not in my DNA to be so difficult.
I do not consider risking my valuable property without appropriate insurance to be "immature".
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:32 pm

I do not consider risking my valuable property without appropriate insurance to be "immature".
You yourself typed it was to delay departure. That's not well-balanced adult behavior. To each his own.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I don't know that specifying the type of bag really works. You could have a backpack that only has 2 books that weigh 2lbs each that easily fits anywhere or the same bag stretched with 30lbs of whatever that barely can be wedged into an overhead. Don't the models of what your bag needs to be able to fit in at the airport give you a better example than a word that can mean many different things?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by udontknowme
So you're that guy who comes bumping down the aisle humping more gear than we used to carry for a 21 day Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, oblivious to the fact that the pack takes up space and moves into others space when you move/rotate.
My bag is actually smaller than most rollaboards, I carry it in my hand while walking down the aisle, and you can find a picture here: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...ks/farpoint_40 (and it still doesn't fit under the seat when full)

// Edit: just for clarity: dimensions of this bag are 21x13x9", Delta (and UA) max hand luggage size is 22x14x9".

Last edited by televisor; Jan 5, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by QDDawg
I have no issue if they REALLY HAVE to check the bags.

But I can't count how many times I've boarded the plane (I typically check a bag) and have seen empty overhead bins after they already forced bags to be checked. It has to be at least 50% of the flights I'm on.

Bags lined up by the jet bridge door way waiting to be loaded when there are numerous bins open.

Then the flight attendants just go and shut overhead bins - that still have room.

It just makes the customer unhappy and the ground crew do more work.
+1

Flew to SJU last year and the GA hemmed and hawed about needing to check bags when we showed up at the gate during Zone 1. We handed over our bags, walked on board, and easily 75% of the bins were open and empty. At the end of the flight, the guy across from us actually had to walk back three rows to get his bag because it had slid back that far during the flight.

OTOH, I have noticed that FAs in the past couple months have been shutting FC bins after most of FC is on board. Or perhaps just leaving one shut from the beginning. This is quite useful as I often board very late, and when they see that I'm in F, they pop open a FC bin that still has room for 2-3 more bags. And yesterday I had an FA who shooed away a pax who tried to store their bag in FC when they were obviously headed back to Y. She got a nice TTU sent in after we landed.

This. It shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it always does when I see someone who at the airport or on board who is a) completely clueless about how air travel works and b) acting in a manner that is actually making their situation worse.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: Southwest rapid rewards,United Airlines MileagePlus
How big is the "standard backpack"? Will it fit under a seat? (What size plane?)
the backpack is around 11 inches wide about 16/17 inches tall and 7 inches deep give or take. the backpack is currently empty and trying to shape it to get measurements was a challenge. I've taken it on southwest but can't remember if I put it under the seats or not. I have put it in the overhead bins.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You yourself typed it was to delay departure. That's not well-balanced adult behavior. To each his own.
No, I typed that it was to get to keep my bag with me because checking it would delay departure.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexmarks567
the backpack is around 11 inches wide about 16/17 inches tall and 7 inches deep give or take. the backpack is currently empty and trying to shape it to get measurements was a challenge. I've taken it on southwest but can't remember if I put it under the seats or not. I have put it in the overhead bins.
My guess is that would fit under a seat in mainline planes, especially if it's compressible from those dimensions.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:34 am

No, I typed that it was to get to keep my bag with me because checking it would delay departure.

My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time

...and you would make sure it would delay the departure. You typed it...I'm not making stuff up here. It is pretty clear. Nice for the other 180 other people waiting to get along with their plans. "My Own Policy". Kinda sad
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Just to throw in, there would be more space available in OH bins if they were packed correctly. I am always amazed at how many DM/PM folks still do not get the concept that on a 2/3 aircraft, the Rollaboard goes on the 3 side and the smaller bags go on the 2 side.... one of my travel pet peeves, especially when the FA'S do not intervene (but are just watching)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time

...and you would make sure it would delay the departure. You typed it...I'm not making stuff up here. It is pretty clear. Nice for the other 180 other people waiting to get along with their plans. "My Own Policy". Kinda sad
Are you that guy that stands at the podium chatting up the GA with meaningless bs, small chat, etc. Throwing all kinds of sugar to attract the flies, thus ensuring you never fall victim to the GA rules, made up or legit?

I cannot imagine that you have never had some negative experience with an overly aggressive GA that pushed the rule envelope, and who did not need some form of creative pushback to be reminded that some of us aren't stupid....

The OP said that they would seek to purchase the insurance, thus aggrevating the GA enough to basically ensure they would not have to check. If the OP'S bag would legitimately fit and is not violating the rules, I have no issues with such civil pushback. It is the guy/gal that aggressively argues / or pretends to be oblivious while obviously bringing on too much that makes things bad for everyone....
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't make sure it would delay the departure. If they said "OK, the cost is $15 per $1,000 insurance, how much do you want and please hand me a credit card" I'd just do that.

Of course, if I saw empty bins when I boarded, I'd photograph them and ask for my money back after the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.