Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced Gate Check Carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
THIS. I wish Delta (AND EVERY CARRIER) would enforce carry on rules more-stringently. I have flown Ryan Air a few times in Europe....while the experience isn't award winning by any means, their carry on policing makes the boarding process great. No waivers, no favors, nada...bag fits in sizer, or it doesn't.

Why don't US carriers utilize the sizers at security. It seems like after 9/11 I went through several airports with a plastic template through which the bag either fit, or it was checked.
That was tried; but different airlines have different rules, and the ones that allowed slightly larger bags sued and won.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by sethb
My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time.
Seth,
I like it!
Nah...I LOVE IT!!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The same foolish question was posed on the AA forum. The response can be simplified: One does not have a right to board a plane with a bag.

Beyond FAA prohibitions, GAs and FAs determine what can be safely stowed within the confines of space and allowable weight.

Sorry.

As stated the bag could go under the seat. And, there was room in the overhead.

The staff is getting a power trip by forcing people to check bags when it is not needed.

Just because a smaller group tries to take advantage is no reason for the staff to go nuts and force this crap. I am really getting tired of them gate checking when there is lots of room in the overhead (and in this case, underneath the seat).
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

My airport asks for volunteers to check bags as soon as the gate opens and no one has ever been required (to my knowledge) to check a bag since they started doing that.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
sethb's suggestion is a good one! Another suggestion that has been posted before and seems like it might work is the following:

"I'm sorry <GATE AGENT's NAME>, but I am a Lithium-ion battery salesperson and my bag is just full of loose batteries."

Just hope they don't call your bluff...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE...from Delta:

"You shared that the gate agents are requiring passengers to gate check their carry on bag without question or regard to space available on the plane or the contents of the bag. This is unacceptable. Yes our agents know the importance of an on-time departure; however, they should be communicating with our flight attendants during the boarding process so that we can accommodate as many bags as possible onboard the plane. So, if this isn't happening we want to know so we can address this with our team members and their leadership team. It's especially concerning to learn the gate agents have an attitude about the carryon bag policy. We don't tolerate rudeness and I'm sorry if you both haven't received the caring and helpful service we expect our agents to provide. Again, your feedback is important to us so we can forward it for internal follow up."

Yet the only solution provided if we're asked to check our bag is to pull out what contents we need and carry on the plane. I have refuted this in a follow up email...we'll see how that goes.

But in the mean time - we don't have to lay down and play dead to the GAs and FAs. It seems that we're far from having "no rights" to carry on a bag.
So if the rest of us were to take the time and push forward an email to Delta Customer Service, then maybe more will happen with this allot sooner!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by TTT
sethb's suggestion is a good one! Another suggestion that has been posted before and seems like it might work is the following:

"I'm sorry <GATE AGENT's NAME>, but I am a Lithium-ion battery salesperson and my bag is just full of loose batteries."

Just hope they don't call your bluff...
I travel with a variety of devices that have lithium ion batteries. If I had to gate check my carryon I'd have too many items to be allowed to carry them on, so they have to go in my carryon... which then can't be checked.

Just carry a tablet or two, a laptop, and a backup battery or two. Oh and my headphones have lithium ion batteries in them, too.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
I travel with a variety of devices that have lithium ion batteries. If I had to gate check my carryon I'd have too many items to be allowed to carry them on, so they have to go in my carryon... which then can't be checked.

Just carry a tablet or two, a laptop, and a backup battery or two. Oh and my headphones have lithium ion batteries in them, too.
Your carrying regulated items does not translate to a change in the number of items permitted as carryons. Fail.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Your carrying regulated items does not translate to a change in the number of items permitted as carryons. Fail.
5 items in my carryon bag = one carryon, allowed.

If I have to check the bag, I have to take those 5 items out and carry them separately. 5 items = not allowed.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
5 items in my carryon bag = one carryon, allowed.

If I have to check the bag, I have to take those 5 items out and carry them separately. 5 items = not allowed.
Yep, and you'd have the perfect chance to pull a DYKWIA moment and get a red coat, and they will let you on with your carryon.

Remember, we're not talking about a 99% boarded flight here, we're talking about being forced to check before boarding even begins or early on in the process. Frankly, that's just not going to happen.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be afraid that in a case like this, a redcoat would defend the GA and if pushed, prevent you from flying.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:37 am

I seriously doubt it if the bins are actually full and your carryon really is regulation sized.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past, I've just taken the tag and brought my bag on board. If it fits, it stays.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, I've just taken the tag and brought my bag on board. If it fits, it stays.
I've done that too.

Do you remove the tag in the jetway?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be afraid that in a case like this, a redcoat would defend the GA and if pushed, prevent you from flying.
That was the case in my wife's first incident: it WAS a Red Coat that was giving her all the grief!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.