Wiki Posts
Search

Forced Gate Check Carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sethb
I haven't run into this on a flight where they're printing real checked tags, only gate checking. (Being Diamond, I tend to board early enough that finding space won't be an issue.)
I find they are doing this now even before pre board.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Newest update...

Previously, I had inquired Delta as to the validity of this whole issue and got a response here.

I have since replied that it's not really an option to "pull items from my bag and carry them on" since the whole point of the carry on bag is that I'm carrying expensive camera gear or laptops and the bag is for their protection/organization.

Here is their latest response:
I do understand your concern with the way the agents are handling the carry-on bag policy - especially since the last situation involved a Red Coat. I get your frustration in being told you have to gate check your bag, when you have special items in the carry-on bag that you didn't want to be put in a checked bag. We realize that more passengers are taking carry-on bags, so there has been an increase of bags checked at the gate. Both our gate agents and flight attendants, should be monitoring and in constant communication during the boarding process; to ensure that passengers are only bringing one carry-on bag, and that all the bins have been filled. So, if this isn't happening we want to know so we can address it with the appropriate team members and leadership team.

One suggestion I can give both you and your wife, is to bring a small personal bag (which is allowed) so you can move items into in case you do have to gate check your bag. I realize this isn't the ideal situation, but it's something that I do and is a quick solution to keeping some of your personal items with you. As we continue to review our carry-on bag policy and procedure, your comments will help us improve our service.

So now we enter into a new realm of definition...between "carry on bag" vs "small personal bag (which is allowed)"

Again, my response was non conclusive when asking:
in the mean time, before the leadership teams come up with a process that is known to gate agents and customers alike, when I have to tell a gate agent or flight attendant that: "No, I will not be checking this bag because of the contents - it will fit under the seat in front of me" - what option do I have?
other than coming up with a "small personal bag" ???

I think I'll come up with Cabin OK sized bag that fits in a normal sized carry on roller bag. Then when I say, can I remove the contents and carry them on - I'll just unzip the larger roller, pulling out a smaller roller.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I have noticed a uptick in the aggressiveness of wanting to pink-tag bags...though flights I've noticed this on were either on CR2s or CR7s, so I don't know that anyone should be surprised if your bag isn't in DL's "official" guidelines for carry-on size if you're flying one of those birds.
I haven't seen it enforced as much on mainline flights.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by fti
. . . Earlier this week I saw someone taking on four (yes four!) pieces - a carry on, a personal item, a purse and a shopping bag. That really needs to stop. . .
Agree.

Similar situation - ATL-SNA 12/31. Young woman (aisle) with two coats, back-pack, large travel tote and food. She seemed clueless where to put it all. I was surprised FA didn't see the tote at her feet (not under the seat).

Plane was packed Holiday & end of IRROPS so figured crew were just trying to
get the plane in the air.

Seriously, can't backpacks be checked?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: Southwest rapid rewards,United Airlines MileagePlus
So I'm flying delta in April Detroit to Seattle. I plain to only have a standard backpack since it's just a overnight trip. Will I get hassled and forced to gate check a backpack or are they only going after those with standard carry on? I've only every flown southwest before so delta will be new territory.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by BHammy
Newest update...

Previously, I had inquired Delta as to the validity of this whole issue and got a response here.

I have since replied that it's not really an option to "pull items from my bag and carry them on" since the whole point of the carry on bag is that I'm carrying expensive camera gear or laptops and the bag is for their protection/organization.

Here is their latest response:
I do understand your concern with the way the agents are handling the carry-on bag policy - especially since the last situation involved a Red Coat. I get your frustration in being told you have to gate check your bag, when you have special items in the carry-on bag that you didn't want to be put in a checked bag. We realize that more passengers are taking carry-on bags, so there has been an increase of bags checked at the gate. Both our gate agents and flight attendants, should be monitoring and in constant communication during the boarding process; to ensure that passengers are only bringing one carry-on bag, and that all the bins have been filled. So, if this isn't happening we want to know so we can address it with the appropriate team members and leadership team.

One suggestion I can give both you and your wife, is to bring a small personal bag (which is allowed) so you can move items into in case you do have to gate check your bag. I realize this isn't the ideal situation, but it's something that I do and is a quick solution to keeping some of your personal items with you. As we continue to review our carry-on bag policy and procedure, your comments will help us improve our service.

So now we enter into a new realm of definition...between "carry on bag" vs "small personal bag (which is allowed)"

Again, my response was non conclusive when asking:
in the mean time, before the leadership teams come up with a process that is known to gate agents and customers alike, when I have to tell a gate agent or flight attendant that: "No, I will not be checking this bag because of the contents - it will fit under the seat in front of me" - what option do I have?
other than coming up with a "small personal bag" ???

I think I'll come up with Cabin OK sized bag that fits in a normal sized carry on roller bag. Then when I say, can I remove the contents and carry them on - I'll just unzip the larger roller, pulling out a smaller roller.
I hope they charge the guy that wrote that stupid reply for an oversized head lacking a full size brain.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
So I'm flying delta in April Detroit to Seattle. I plain to only have a standard backpack since it's just a overnight trip. Will I get hassled and forced to gate check a backpack or are they only going after those with standard carry on? I've only every flown southwest before so delta will be new territory.
You should not have a problem as the backpack will fit under the seat in front of you.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Scott H
You should not have a problem as the backpack will fit under the seat in front of you.
My standard backpack does not fit under the seat - why are you so sure his will?

However I've noticed GA's tend not to gate check backpacks even when they force gate-checking rollaboards, so he's probably fine.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by televisor
My standard backpack does not fit under the seat - why are you so sure his will?

However I've noticed GA's tend not to gate check backpacks even when they force gate-checking rollaboards, so he's probably fine.
So you're that guy who comes bumping down the aisle humping more gear than we used to carry for a 21 day Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, oblivious to the fact that the pack takes up space and moves into others space when you move/rotate.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
There are daypacks and there are backpacks; which do you have? My Mountain Hardware Agama pack (now 6 years old) is a 31L bag that will still fit under my seat. My Osprey Talon 22 pack (now 9 years old) is a 22L bag that is harder to fit because it has a full hip strap system. I've also never been asked to pink tag my Agama pack, but I've raised eyebrows with my Talon.

I had my Agama with me on my last 4 Delta flights. There were the roaming agents doing the tagging in the waiting areas. People on either side of me were approached to tag - I was not.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver

OK so maybe I took the liberty of assuming the backpack was similar in size to mine, which is packed full but still fits in the seat in front of me.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time.
It's becoming clear why some have "issues" with Delta. My attitude is totally different when I fly and could be why I have overwhelmingly positive experiences. More flies with sugar
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I have no issue if they REALLY HAVE to check the bags.

But I can't count how many times I've boarded the plane (I typically check a bag) and have seen empty overhead bins after they already forced bags to be checked. It has to be at least 50% of the flights I'm on.

Bags lined up by the jet bridge door way waiting to be loaded when there are numerous bins open.

Then the flight attendants just go and shut overhead bins - that still have room.

It just makes the customer unhappy and the ground crew do more work.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: Southwest rapid rewards,United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by slidergirl
There are daypacks and there are backpacks; which do you have?
A normal school type backpack.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

This x2. My Pacsafe shoulder bag/backpack that's bigger than a lot of wheelie bags (but still fits in the sizer) always just gets waved through by the GA even when they're otherwise on a tear about gate checking those smaller wheeled bags for a full load RJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.