Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced Gate Check Carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
I wouldn't make sure it would delay the departure. If they said "OK, the cost is $15 per $1,000 insurance, how much do you want and please hand me a credit card" I'd just do that.

Of course, if I saw empty bins when I boarded, I'd photograph them and ask for my money back after the flight.
..... which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
This post reminds me of why I carry, in the front pocket of my DL-provided 2MM award rollaboard, a copy of an e-mail from the DL rep assuring me that the bag is carry-on legal.

This thread can now return to the "I know you are but what am I?" bickering.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Just to throw in, there would be more space available in OH bins if they were packed correctly. I am always amazed at how many DM/PM folks still do not get the concept that on a 2/3 aircraft, the Rollaboard goes on the 3 side and the smaller bags go on the 2 side.... one of my travel pet peeves, especially when the FA'S do not intervene (but are just watching)
Oh god. As the routes I fly seem to be almost exclusively served by Mad Dogs, this gets a +27342653645 from me.

What's especially frustrating is that I use a 18" rollaboard that actually does fit in the 2-seat side, but it's rare that I can convince an FA that everything can fit if they swap the purse on the 3-side with the Tumi steamer on the 2-side, and then my bag will slide right in next to the purse.

I played Tetris a lot as a kid.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
..... which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time
That's Delta IT's fault, I'd be perfectly happy if they fixed things so it took only a few seconds the way it should.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
That's Delta IT's fault, I'd be perfectly happy if they fixed things so it took only a few seconds the way it should.
This. It's easy to end up with a bag of $10K+ camera gear if you go for a professional quality back and a few more exotic lenses, and if an airline makes it hard to protect/insure a very valuable kit, it's not my fault if it takes some time for them to get their system that does it to work.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by beachmouse
This. It's easy to end up with a bag of $10K+ camera gear if you go for a professional quality back and a few more exotic lenses, and if an airline makes it hard to protect/insure a very valuable kit, it's not my fault if it takes some time for them to get their system that does it to work.
It's worth noting that Delta and United both only accept excess valuation up to $5000 (which is easy to go over with photographic equipment, as you mentioned). United's wording potentially suggests they won't even accept a bag over that value ("United will accept baggage with a declared value up to $5,000 USD/CAD provided the item is properly described, properly packaged and undamaged."), whereas Delta suggest that's just the maximum they will insure it to.

Last edited by televisor; Jan 7, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
This post reminds me of why I carry, in the front pocket of my DL-provided 2MM award rollaboard, a copy of an e-mail from the DL rep assuring me that the bag is carry-on legal.

This thread can now return to the "I know you are but what am I?" bickering.
Trumped by the airline right to check any bag at their discretion, which you agree to when you purchase ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Probably worth repeating:

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be afraid that in a case like this, a redcoat would defend the GA and if pushed, prevent you from flying.
I read this far to see what was going on, and stopped.

As a DM who flew about 110K this year and banked, some of it on these routes, I haven't experienced this issue.

Is this issue really "as presented?"

Perhaps a different attitude or approach would result in an entirely different set of behaviors, and eliminate the perception of GAs/FAs acting arbitrarily in regard to this matter.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by televisor
It's worth noting that Delta and United both only accept excess valuation up to $5000 (which is easy to go over with photographic equipment, as you mentioned). United's wording potentially suggests they won't even accept a bag over that value ("United will accept baggage with a declared value up to $5,000 USD/CAD provided the item is properly described, properly packaged and undamaged."), whereas Delta suggest that's just the maximum they will insure it to.
Hmm. Have you tried? It's been a while, but I once flew TWA with an item insured to a few multiples of that. (Which they misplaced for under 30 minutes).

If such insurance and the airline's responsibility / financial interest have been decoupled, I would expect the insurance cost to be much more.

And can that new guy with all the charts a few days ago give us some projections on the cost here ? Isn't this just the kind of associated service DL can make money on -- because our cost/risk should be much lower than a private party?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Buy a guitar case.

Have someone install in it a custom foam insert with cutouts for your camera equipment.

Guitars trump all carry-on rules.

(Of course, I am just being facetious. )
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Hmmm. Spousal Unit also has a stash of hard guitar cases and it wouldn't be that hard to do foam inserts in one....
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Buy a guitar case.

Have someone install in it a custom foam insert with cutouts for your camera equipment.

Guitars trump all carry-on rules.

(Of course, I am just being facetious. )
This is actually genius.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I was boarding flight recently, and, there was a 20something girl (who was flying in Y) right in front of me with a guitar case. We stepped on board, and she asked the FA if there was somewhere she could put her guitar case. The FA eagerly obliged, and opened the closet. He took it from her - - (seemed normal to me) - - and she RAISED her voice and said - - IT'S FRAGILE!!! IF YOU'RE GONNA TREAT IT LIKE THAT - - GIVE IT BACK TO ME!!! . . . . . . . .

Must've been LOADED with camera equipment!!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davetravels
... a 20something girl (who was flying in Y) right in front of me with a guitar case. We stepped on board, and she asked the FA if there was somewhere she could put her guitar case. The FA eagerly obliged, and opened the closet. He took it from her - - (seemed normal to me) - - and she RAISED her voice and said - - IT'S FRAGILE!!! IF YOU'RE GONNA TREAT IT LIKE THAT - - GIVE IT BACK TO ME!!! . .
wow ... some might say that belongs in the DYKWIA thread ...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by kthomas
Hmm. Have you tried? It's been a while, but I once flew TWA with an item insured to a few multiples of that. (Which they misplaced for under 30 minutes).

If such insurance and the airline's responsibility / financial interest have been decoupled, I would expect the insurance cost to be much more.

And can that new guy with all the charts a few days ago give us some projections on the cost here ? Isn't this just the kind of associated service DL can make money on -- because our cost/risk should be much lower than a private party?
Never tried - but I thought I'd research what value I should actually (try to) declare if I ever end up in the situation (since I do carry photographic gear). I'm actually a UA flyer, and have never experienced overzealous gate-checking, but I prefer to be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.