Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by goldmarch
I got re-routed at no charge with an overnight in LAX instead of SEA. DL agent never questioned anything. At one point she had a bit of a problem getting the system to accept the change, so she reconfirmed the flight numbers with me, put me on hold and called a supervisor who made a "point to point booking". I don't know what that means, but it worked. I even got what delta.com says is a flat bed for LAX-HNL.

A huge thanks to everyone who gave me help figuring this out!
Yes, if you're on the 767 from LAX to HNL, it will be equipped with lie-flat seats. That 767 flies LAX-HNL then onward to Japan, so it is an Delta One equipped aircraft. The service will more closely resemble standard domestic FC service. Pillows and blankets can be hit or miss. You may get the nice blankets/pillows used on D1 flights or you may just get the standard small blanket and pillow.

Glad that it worked out and that DL was able to accommodate your request and that you'll get to Hawaii when you initially wanted. ^
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:46 am

I'm used to schedules changing a few minutes here and there, but I've never had to switch flights before. Over the weekend, I had my ATL-LHR flight change again and for the second time, I had to change my flights. The first time, I was left with a 13 minute connection in ATL, so obviously I had to change that. This weekend there was another change and I was left with a 45 minute domestic to international connection. That's just too close for comfort.

Delta was really good and quick to change my flights when I called in. I was concerned since the 45 minute connection is technically legal but leaves no room for error. The downside is now I have a 6 hour layover in Atlanta and have to leave my house at 10 am instead of 3 pm.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spd476
Delta was really good and quick to change my flights when I called in. I was concerned since the 45 minute connection is technically legal but leaves no room for error. The downside is now I have a 6 hour layover in Atlanta and have to leave my house at 10 am instead of 3 pm.
DL/VS have many flights to London from many US cities. You don't say where your home is, but unless it's a tiny airport, you can likely get a much better connection thru somewhere other than ATL.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I found three changes so far today. All three were flight number changes and one involved a change of aircraft. Two of the flights did not let me reselect my original choice until I accept the changes.

One itinerary was solely domestic, the other involved domestic flights on the way to SYD/AKL.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a LAX-DCA flight for August move 10 minutes earlier which means a little less sleep but whatever. Plus a flight number change for DCA-RDU after.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Flight next month (!) moved from 9:30am to 7:00am departure - big difference in time I need to wake up and a 4-hour layover sucks. Why are these schedule changes almost always negative?

There isn't any other better flight (they apparently cancelled my booked flight). Would DL consider a refund?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Flight next month (!) moved from 9:30am to 7:00am departure - big difference in time I need to wake up and a 4-hour layover sucks. Why are these schedule changes almost always negative?

There isn't any other better flight (they apparently cancelled my booked flight). Would DL consider a refund?
Yes, you are entitled to a full refund. DL may try to find another option that's acceptable to you, but they will give you the refund if you ask.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Would DL consider a refund?
Yes. You can absolutely get a refund in this case.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Just booked a MCO-ATL-LAS RT yesterday for first week in September. Price had dropped one day this week from $384 to $358 and then went back up so I decided to buy and see what happened the next flight since I could cancel.

Go and check the flight today and first two flights had small time change. Third just changed Welll the flight number. Fourth flight is now about 30 minutes later making it redeye and 3 hour layover. Wife and I were thinking about doing OFS so we can live with it.

But the strange thing was when I checked prices today my itinerary was showing SOLD OUT for coach going to LAS. First class was available for about $1200. While at a soccer game this afternoon, I checked the app on my phone. The flight was available for $662 WHAT? Home now and the website is still showing SOLD OUT.

Also, flight shows that I accepted the changes already though I haven't. Well, I can live with what I have so that's okay, but this seems more unusual than usual. I'll have to check again when the weekend is over.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Just booked a MCO-ATL-LAS RT yesterday for first week in September. Price had dropped one day this week from $384 to $358 and then went back up so I decided to buy and see what happened the next flight since I could cancel.

Go and check the flight today and first two flights had small time change. Third just changed Welll the flight number. Fourth flight is now about 30 minutes later making it redeye and 3 hour layover. Wife and I were thinking about doing OFS so we can live with it.

But the strange thing was when I checked prices today my itinerary was showing SOLD OUT for coach going to LAS. First class was available for about $1200. While at a soccer game this afternoon, I checked the app on my phone. The flight was available for $662 WHAT? Home now and the website is still showing SOLD OUT.

Also, flight shows that I accepted the changes already though I haven't. Well, I can live with what I have so that's okay, but this seems more unusual than usual. I'll have to check again when the weekend is over.
The app you have to be careful. Since spliting D1 and FC out, its not worked right. I find you have to leave as main cabin to get correct pricing. Otherwise It'll show refundable fares only even though you didn't tell it to limit to those. If you select FC it will come up with main cabin, if you select D1 it'll give correct pricing for D1. However it'll show sold out for non D1 routes.

Basically the app is worthless at the moment for booking.

Web is also screwed up, albeit less so. On web if you want to limit to FC you need to select D1. Otherwise it'll still search coach fares. Aggravating when doing a flexible day search. You think you found a FC deal, click through and it's main cabin.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The app you have to be careful. Since spliting D1 and FC out, its not worked right. I find you have to leave as main cabin to get correct pricing. Otherwise It'll show refundable fares only even though you didn't tell it to limit to those. If you select FC it will come up with main cabin, if you select D1 it'll give correct pricing for D1. However it'll show sold out for non D1 routes.

Basically the app is worthless at the moment for booking.

Web is also screwed up, albeit less so. On web if you want to limit to FC you need to select D1. Otherwise it'll still search coach fares. Aggravating when doing a flexible day search. You think you found a FC deal, click through and it's main cabin.
Interesting.

I have never used the app for booking, but in this case I was just curious about the SOLD OUT and thought I would check.

Back on the web, I'm checking for main cabin and I know it's not really sold out. It also shows the FC and that is what I was quoting.

Bottom line is that I can't buy a coach only fare for the flights I was interested in and the reason is presumably that it's Saturday. (As my previous post indicated, I actually have the flights already so it's not a problem for me).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Being Saturday that is a possibility. I just know the search function during booking is screwed up royally with the latest updates.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Yes. You can absolutely get a refund in this case.
I had this happen to me but it was only 90 minutes. I couldn't get a refund to my credit card without going through a lot of hoops, but it was easy to get a cancellation and reuse without the $200 penalty.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Delta Gold, Delta 0.17 MM
Delta added an extra layover to my red-eye flight in September. Do you think when I call they would allow me to change it to a non-red-eye the following day as a result?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by flying_gibbon
Delta added an extra layover to my red-eye flight in September. Do you think when I call they would allow me to change it to a non-red-eye the following day as a result?
Probably. Could give a better answer if you provide the specific routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.